Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you listen to music?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Apple Music and logged in to my MY, but it’s truly trash and impossible to use. I’m used to Apple carplay and it works so well in that landscape but on Tesla Apple Music is rubbish.

Trying to shuffle my whole library but it only shuffles the first page of songs out of 45 pages of songs, so I get the same 40 or 50 songs only shuffling.

Tried to make a playlist of all my songs, it does the same.

I was going to subscribe to connectivity for the Apple Music app but it would be a waste of money.

Anyway, I have given Apple Music app a rest. And now I just play music from my phone but still cant use voice commands to control it.

Is this it??? Feels like the music solutions from 2005. I want to be able to use my voice to play music but just seems impossible (the voice control in general is pretty poor compared to Siri, I have to use an American accent just to try and get it to understand anything)

Does anyone have any tips or ideas that work?
From stored music on SSD

Reactions: jq371
The inbuilt media player is actually quite good.
I bombed up a 2tb T7 ssd with random music. It cataloged it all and now I can either search or browse by songs, Artists, Albums, Genres and folders.
Even picked up album art from somewhere.
I use Apple Music all the time because it has my whole library from home plus other stuff - the extras are a bonus
the interface isn’t as good as Carplay but I won’t bang on about it
I would like better scrolling to find stuff - being able to click on an alphabetical list would help so I don’t have go through a to v to get to w

Its not bad. Could be so much better. Definitely not as good as the ones offered by other carmakers. I am comparing it to the Uconnect systems in Jeep. For comparison, the media player in a 2012 Jeep GC was miles better than the Media player in a 2024 MY. That's bad for a company that builds a computer on wheels!
Yep. The inability to create playlists is an obvious example of the Tesla system lagging behind most other media players.

It would be interesting to create a playlist in M3U format offline, whack it on your SSD, and see what, if anything, Tesla does with it.

External playlists created using iTunes or Mp3tag will work but need to be modified every time you add or delete a few songs from the SSD or Flash Drive. That's really besides the point here. The inability or Tesla to program in a solid media player is really a disgrace to a car company that prides itself on electronics. Elon! Take away all those stupid fart sounds and martian terrain landscapes and gives us a good media player! Is that so hard? Or you just dont want to?

External playlists created using iTunes or Mp3tag will work but need to be modified every time you add or delete a few songs from the SSD or Flash Drive. That's really besides the point here. The inability or Tesla to program in a solid media player is really a disgrace to a car company that prides itself on electronics. Elon! Take away all those stupid fart sounds and martian terrain landscapes and gives us a good media player! Is that so hard? Or you just dont want to?
I’ve only been using the media player for a few days (to test it out after reading this thread) and have found it to be quite good. More than adequate for my needs. I usually stream (as I’m assuming most people do) so it really isn’t a big deal.

The whole v12 UI is simplistically stunning.

I have been assuming that Tesla make money from Spotify by pushing their customers to pay for Spotify.
And spend their resources on more important car related things I’m guessing.

I can see how people might latch on to playlists etc and buy Spotify to continue on other devices like I kinda do with Apple Music.
Then again sometimes I just drive in silence, it still amazes me how peaceful and enjoyable it is to drive this car while the chaos of the planet unfolds just the other side of the double pane glass :)

I doubt it. Possible that Spotify pay a fee to have their app in the car but I even doubt that.

There is even a 'free' account as part of the connectivity package so I don't see Tesla 'pushing' people to subscribe for Spotify.
Perhaps it would have been better if I had used the word "encouraging" instead of "pushing". Spotify have a free option because it is a gateway to the paid option. Having limited other options in the car means more people are more likely to use Spotify.

Then again sometimes I just drive in silence, it still amazes me how peaceful and enjoyable it is to drive this car while the chaos of the planet unfolds just the other side of the double pane glass :)
Agreed. I also enjoy the relative quiet of the Tesla over ICE cars. It is much more pleasant and easier to talk to passengers or listen to podcasts or music. It would just be better if the media player worked better for people who want to listen to a collection of files in SSD.

Reactions: dronus
Perhaps it would have been better if I had used the word "encouraging" instead of "pushing". Spotify have a free option because it is a gateway to the paid option. Having limited other options in the car means more people are more likely to use Spotify.

Agreed. I also enjoy the relative quiet of the Tesla over ICE cars. It is much more pleasant and easier to talk to passengers or listen to podcasts or music. It would just be better if the media player worked better for people who want to listen to a collection of files in SSD.
Something to look forward too :)

The "free" option (not really - some portion of the monthly Premium Connectivity fee would be going to Spotify for that ad-free account) seems to be fully functional as a car streaming option. If you don't also use it on your phone then switching to the paid option doesn't seem to buy you anything.

The "free" option (not really - some portion of the monthly Premium Connectivity fee would be going to Spotify for that ad-free account) seems to be fully functional as a car streaming option. If you don't also use it on your phone then switching to the paid option doesn't seem to buy you anything.
I agree, and until another vendor implements UWB I’m better off staying with Apple Music everywhere else.
Spotify works great too.
I don’t try and listen to the same music over and over so I don’t really care where it comes from haha.

Good point about the ad-free component of Spotify, i take it their normal “free” version has ads and limitations on single songs/playlists/ skipping

Good point about the ad-free component of Spotify, i take it their normal “free” version has ads and limitations on single songs/playlists/ skipping
Yep, as far as I understand it, the Car account that you get for free is exactly the same as a premium account minus the ability to create playlists (might be wrong on the playlists, I already had a spotify account so never used the free one)

The inability or Tesla to program in a solid media player is really a disgrace to a car company that prides itself on electronics. Elon! Take away all those stupid fart sounds and martian terrain landscapes and gives us a good media player! Is that so hard? Or you just dont want to?

It’s clearly not a priority, and to a point I can accept that. It’s not that they are unable to do it, it’s that they’ve decided to prioritise other things. Given I’m a dwindling edge case - I don’t stream, and either listen to DAB+ or play music from my SSD - I’m not the squeaky wheel, and unlikely to get much attention. It is what it is 🤷‍♂️. At least I can structure my songs on the SSD so that the existing media player allows me more or less to play stuff the way I want to.

Elon also suggested 5 years ago they’d add a video/MP4 media player App to the UI, but they never did, and probably never will. If they ever open a Tesla App Store, I’m sure someone else would port VLC to it, and that would do the job.