Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can look out at the scenery for any length of time no problem. Spend ~10 seconds trying to adjust your route and you get a strike. (Even if you are providing torque on the steering wheel.) If after ~7 seconds you get the warning to pay attention and you provide torque and look forward for a bit and then look back at the screen for even a couple seconds and bang instant strike.
I added some to my post. I think this makes sense.

I've never experienced anything like what is described, though. It's not like I haven't seen or heard nags, either. To me it seems hard to get a strike if you're paying attention to the road.

10 seconds adjusting the route certainly does not lead to an instant strike! It leads to a "pay attention to the road" or similar! I mean, I guess I'll double check, but I am positive that I have done something like this. I have received many stern warnings and torque requirements.

At one point in 2022 I remember Tesla describing strikes as based on the rate of inattention (maybe it was in an email sent to violators?) - I wonder it that still applies in any way.

Last edited:
Will the 2024.14 updates stop rolling out now in place of 2024.9? How do they decide who gets which update

Only cars with paid FSD get 2024.9?
Free Advice... don't go burning your daily check until you hear or see someone in this thread saying they are downloading V12.4....

10 seconds adjusting the route certainly does not lead to an instant strike! It leads to a "pay attention to the road" or similar! I mean, I guess I'll double check, but I am positive that I have done something like this. I have received many stern warnings and torque requirements.
I clarified, in my reply to your other post. The 10 seconds gets you a nag/warning, and if you clear that with torque and looking forward, and then go back to looking at the screen to finish what you were doing you get a strike after about 2 seconds with no second nag/warning.

GOCIyKIa8AA7eZh

Not necessarily; one can examine the screen for a couple of seconds, quickly scan the road for any surprises without moving one's head, and continue with the screen task. Granted, it's less safe than always keeping eyes on the road, but given road conditions that are fairly inert I believe a decent driver can reasonably make that judgment call.
Wrong. It’s safer than keeping your eyes forward on the road 100% of the time. The trick is not to get fixated on any one thing. If your eyes are always forward, how will you see that guy barreling down your 6? Or the car creeping out on you 3?

It’s like flying. Always be scanning. Just don’t fixate. What’s the #1 rule of flying a plane? (Hint: It’s the same #1 rule as driving)

I clarified, in my reply to your other post. The 10 seconds gets you a nag/warning, and if you clear that with torque and looking forward, and then go back to looking at the screen to finish what you were doing you get a strike after about 2 seconds with no second nag/warning.
I've never seen anything like that. I guess when it tells me to pay attention to the road, I do that. I guess I could experiment but don't really want a strike!

That timing seems pretty aggressive. Is this on initial enabling of FSD? Or after it has been running for a while?

Anyway, seems pretty hard to get a strike if you're paying attention. Which seems like a good plan. I've never seen any warnings in that case - and even torque nags are super infrequent (good to hear they are going to be gone forever, but unfortunate about sunglasses - of course very predictable and about what I expected).

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I've never seen anything like that. I guess when it tells me to pay attention to the road, I do that. I guess I could experiment but don't really want a strike!

That timing seems pretty aggressive. Is this on initial enabling of FSD? Or after it has been running for a while?

Anyway, seems pretty hard to get a strike if you're paying attention. Which seems like a good plan. I've never seen any warnings in that case - and even torque nags are super infrequent (good to hear they are going to be gone forever, but unfortunate about sunglasses - of course very predictable and about what I expected).
These Nag/Strike debates always start with a new complaint that “I then grab the wheel” or “I only looked at my phone for a few seconds”. Not much has changed in the rules or common sense.

I get the sentiment of the meme, but "Only in lighting" is misleading. For anyone with a car built after 2021, they have the infrared lights which should allow the system to work in any lighting conditions. For the rest of us, the light from the center screen is usually sufficient for the cabin-camera to see your eyes. But they cannot stop people from turning down the light from the center screen.

So the correct second half of the meme should be "Only when it can see your eyes."

Wrong. It’s safer than keeping your eyes forward on the road 100% of the time. The trick is not to get fixated on any one thing. If your eyes are always forward, how will you see that guy barreling down your 6? Or the car creeping out on you 3?

It’s like flying. Always be scanning. Just don’t fixate. What’s the #1 rule of flying a plane? (Hint: It’s the same #1 rule as driving)

I would've guess never let gravity win.

How long ago was this? I find that even now on 12.3.6 the car drifts out of the curve / lane in these intersections. One situation I almost always have to take over.
October of 2021..... Alan posted that one. It was him pulling out of his driveway.
No wonder he has so many issues with the software.

I wear sunglasses when I drive on very bright, sunny days. It is a bummer that I may not get the full benefit of "hands-free" during the summer.
As long as I'm still the driver in command I don't mind the "nags" which aren't really nags to me. Even as a "supervisor" I need be aware and alert. I consider having to be "engaged" with the system is an important safety benefit. Of course, I want "unsupervised" FSD at some point.