Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least school is about to be out giving a little more time. But yeah this should come near the top and above hand signals.
Looks to me Elon encourages people to have more kids, yet
- wants them to work very long hours
- FSD can’t be used near schools or school buses

It’s as if he can’t comprehend not everyone has nannies 24/7 for their kids.

Last edited:
At least school is about to be out giving a little more time. But yeah this should come near the top and above hand signals.
I posted about this previously but FSD is recognizing flashing school zone lights/signs. However, FSD resumes speed before going past the school. Probably because there is no sign telling FSD the school zone speed limit is over. When the lights aren't flashing FSD travels at the regular speed limit. Works 80% of the time in schools in my town.

1715447540699.png

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394 and EVNow
Seems to me like this kind of thing should really be covered by map data instead of having to rely on OCR reading of signs. Map data can't cover temporary changes (well, actually it could if it was planned and coordinated) but it should be able to capture the regular situation. Why isn't Tesla able to acquire higher-quality data? Does it just not exist? If I were in charge of the regulatory side of things, this would be one of the top priorities.

I posted about this previously but FSD is recognizing flashing school zone lights/signs. However, FSD resumes speed before going past the school. Probably because there is no sign telling FSD the school zone speed limit is over. When the lights aren't flashing FSD travels at the regular speed limit. Works 80% of the time in schools in my town.

View attachment 1046209
This is purely anecdotal but I've tested a few times and the high school near me causes 25mph during the day, but doesn't in the late afternoon and evening. Not sure if this new behavior or an aberration.

It's unrelated to FSD - all new vehicles sold after that data must have this.

I would think most of the functionality is already there in terms of warning the driver in case of speeding, though it will likely need changes/additions to comply with the exact rules.
The EU ISA (Intelligent Speed Adaptation) system is still being refined. According to a little searching, the primary method is a unified map database that the car can use with built-in GPS. This has long been included in Tesla nav, autopilot and FSD features. The biggest downside comes from inaccuracies in the database(s), and the work is ongoing too improve the coverage and accuracy in Europe. Presumably it's already better than the current state of speed limit mapping in the USA, but in both places it's an ongoing project. The goal and expectation is apparently greater than 90% accuracy for now.

The second main method, supporting the gps/map method, is camera-based visual recognition of speed limit signs. Again, I presume that work is ongoing to eliminate non-standard or confusing signs where they may be.

I see absolutely nothing, in my reading so far, that represents a challenge to the Tesla capabilities that have been in place for years. The level of speed-limit error reports we see here, though of course amplified through the internet drama resonator, are well within the current ISA accuracy goals.

At least on one point, Tesla fails. When entering a speed zone, the speed is not regulated until the moment the speed sign is passed. Then, on a downhill slope, it can take up to 100 meters before the speed is correct. The police like to have a control point just a few meters inside the zone. Furthermore, I believe that the accuracy of the speed database is no better than 60-70% today in the EU, so a lot of work is needed here.

Camera-based reading of speed signs seems extremely poor, and is probably not implemented at all. Isn't there a challenge with Mobileye's patent on this that Tesla is not willing to accept? In many situations where the speed sign is displayed correctly in the car, it is not transferred to the AP, and will therefore not reduce the car's speed. This has been like this since I got my car in 2018, and probably from 2016 when Mobileye and Tesla broke off their collaboration.

Reactions: DrGriz and DanCar
At least on one point, Tesla fails. When entering a speed zone, the speed is not regulated until the moment the speed sign is passed. Then, on a downhill slope, it can take up to 100 meters before the speed is correct. The police like to have a control point just a few meters inside the zone. Furthermore, I believe that the accuracy of the speed database is no better than 60-70% today in the EU, so a lot of work is needed here.

Camera-based reading of speed signs seems extremely poor, and is probably not implemented at all. Isn't there a challenge with Mobileye's patent on this that Tesla is not willing to accept? In many situations where the speed sign is displayed correctly in the car, it is not transferred to the AP, and will therefore not reduce the car's speed. This has been like this since I got my car in 2018, and probably from 2016 when Mobileye and Tesla broke off their collaboration.
Before V12 FSD actually did a better job at responding quickly to speed zone changes when passing a speed zone sign. This was after a lot of complaints over a year by testers who were concerned of getting speeding tickets. V12 basically broke that functionality so hopefully they can fix the problem.

Camera-based reading of speed signs seems extremely poor, and is probably not implemented at all.
Is that your speculation - because in reality it is definitely implemented and is quite good. It is very rare to see FSD misread speed limits. Not just that - earlier it used to take truck speed limit or school zone speed limit as the correct limit all the time. Now it doesn’t.

Ofcourse the speed limits in the map are not great - esp. on new roads and freeway entry.

I don't think I'm speculating, but rather experiencing. But there are probably big differences between the US and the EU. Germany is quite good at the nav database which probably depends on the number of car manufacturers. My country that doesn't produce cars at all is abandoned. There are big differences from country to country, and something I understand is the case in the US from state to state.

A stretch of road I drive daily had for a week a temporary light regulation due to roadworks. It was entered into Tesla's nav database, and made visible within 3 days. But the car still stops for what it claims is a red light. But now it is more than 2 months since the temporary traffic light was removed. Must be a phantom light....

I am quite sure that the problem with delayed reaction to speed signs must be fixed before EU regulators will allow approval. As a result of such a requirement, Tesla will probably implement this (again) in the USA.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
We are comparing different generations of software. That’s where the difference is.

FSD definitely reads posted speed limits quite well.
Not where I live. I don't see any evidence at all that it's "reading" anything. If the map data is good, maybe it appears to someone it is reading signs. But if the map data is bad, like 30 out of 100 miles where I am, it blows right past perfectly legible signs.

Reactions: DanCar
Not where I live. I don't see any evidence at all that it's "reading" anything. If the map data is good, maybe it appears to someone it is reading signs. But if the map data is bad, like 30 out of 100 miles where I am, it blows right past perfectly legible signs.
I guess we need more reports then. I clearly see the speed change when passing a speed sign post. There are also a lot of videos (and discussions here) on this a few years (?) back.

Reactions: Yelobird
Not where I live. I don't see any evidence at all that it's "reading" anything. I
Interesting. Another data point- I can go from a 35 MPH zone, through a major intersection, to a road divided with a median. 100 feet down the road is the first 50 MPH speed limit sign.

Legally the 50 MPH zone starts at the intersection, not the sign another 100' down the road. I assume this is what mapping would indicate.

Every time Tesla changes the speed at the sign exactly. Sure looks like it is recognized in real time to me.seems to happen frequently.