Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charging time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You should always be charging to your desired state of charge when possible.

Many of us charge to 55% as a day to day standard (better for the battery), but charge to what we may need on the occasion warranted. Best practice then would be to charge higher just before use/needed thus minimizing time at this higher charge state

Cost of new charger install varies substantially. I installed 60 amp circuit for about $500. But that’s not typical.

Upvote 0
yes, you can charge every night or you can charge when it gets down to 20%. I do both since we have 2 Teslas and 1 wall charger.

a local electrician charged us $1,500 to install a 50amp breaker and run about 100' of 6/3 romex from the box to the garage and wire up the wall charger.

and welcome to TMC

Upvote 0
You might benefit from reading this thread.

Wall-charger installation costs will depend a lot on your personal circumstances, especially the length of cable you will need to run. It might be best to just talk to an electrician.

Reactions: Pianewman
Upvote 0
There is no benefit to “letting it run down”.
Except to do a deeper cycle for the benefit of the range estimator calculator.

There was a degradation comparison chart posted the other day. The batteries operated in the full half did a lot better than than the ones that were operated in the bottom half. From that I took that running them right down is not good at all.

Then there's the calendar ageing happening the least at 55% SOC study.

Putting two and two together, put enough in that you don't get anywhere near range anxiety, but at least 60% if you would get down to 50% at end of day.

Upvote 0
I don't think it matters unless you are letting it sit in like 10% for awhile. I personally don't charge the car until it gets to like 20% but i try not to leave it in that state for an extended period of time just because I don't want to limit my electricity bill.

Upvote 0