Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boot opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well what do you know. I’m at Tesla now and it’s not the boot switch after all, it’s the harness. I asked if this should be covered under the recall and apparently it’s a different part! Cost gone from £150 to £247

IMG_5479.jpeg

Well what do you know. I’m at Tesla now and it’s not the boot switch after all, it’s the harness. I asked if this should be covered under the recall and apparently it’s a different part! Cost gone from £150 to £247

View attachment 1043965
Didn’t you say you only had the harness recall carried out a few months ago? I’d be pushing that and saying the harness recall is at fault.

He said that recall was to replace an O ring in the boot. He said different cars have different harness recalls and mine wasn’t what they are replacing at the moment. Considering the warranty was up at the end of March and I’ve just ordered a new car you’d think there would be some good will!

Reactions: Adopado
He said that recall was to replace an O ring in the boot. He said different cars have different harness recalls and mine wasn’t what they are replacing at the moment. Considering the warranty was up at the end of March and I’ve just ordered a new car you’d think there would be some good will!
I would be asking them to look into that further. The O ring was for the powered strut on later models. I have a feeling you’ve been done over on this one and the issue you’re suffering is the exact reason the recall was put in place.

It's always a difficult situation when people are saying to tell them this and that, yet a Tesla technician says something else.

I was just about to say, you're always entitled to ask to speak to the manager.

I believe the recall was done in stages, possibly as a result of parts supply. Our car had the recall notification but were told that it would be addressed only after we were notified. It took a long time between that message and having the job done - as part of other work.

@Pagemakers can you take a photo of the black corrugated harness on right side of boot opening near the hinge. I can’t remember what ours looked like before, but I believe that as part of the recall we had a short stiffer outer section added - probably a wrap around part - 5 second fix. That photo may show if you had the recall applied.

I believe the recall was done in stages, possibly as a result of parts supply. Our car had the recall notification but were told that it would be addressed only after we were notified. It took a long time between that message and having the job done - as part of other work.

@Pagemakers can you take a photo of the black corrugated harness on right side of boot opening near the hinge. I can’t remember what ours looked like before, but I believe that as part of the recall we had a short stiffer outer section added - probably a wrap around part - 5 second fix. That photo may show if you had the recall applied.
This is correct. It was done in stages. I had to wait several weeks, possibly months, to get mine done. I think the app even advised people that they “would be contacted”. I chased it anyway.

I’ll go get the part number from the kit they provided me (they wouldn’t fit it due to an aftermarket boot lifter). Give me 30 mins..

Off-topic, but what's quite intriguing is that after selling the vehicle to a friend and transferring the car between accounts, as well as performing a full factory reset of the car account, my single autopilot strike still appears on his account. It seems those strikes must be specific to the car.

Attachments

• IMG_7407.jpg
    IMG_7407.jpg
    562.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7408.jpg
    IMG_7408.jpg
    531.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
@Pagemakers - Sorry it took so long, got distracted.

As you can see the part they're trying to charge you for I received for free under warranty, as part of the trunk harness recall. It should be free for you too.

The recall number is SB-21-17-008
Yea, that’s the bit they've just fitted. I’m going to give it until 4pm and chase them up. I’ve seen the service notes on their computer and there is no mention of that being replaced.

Reactions: Durzel
Definitely dispute the invoice, if you're charged for it.

Even though your car was out of warranty when reported, this part is used in the rectification of a recall, which is not restricted by the warranty as far as I know? The reason for the recall is basically a manufacturing defect.

Also might be useful - it's from the NHTSA but your car came from there, and it mentions the above part number as being involved in fixing the recall: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V00D-5923.PDF

Reactions: Pagemakers
Thank you. That will be very helpful, I'm sure. Despite two follow-up calls, Tesla didn't respond to me.

They have replaced the exact part as per your link.

Considering this, even if they carried out the recall in October (which they didn't), the fact they've done it today, six months later, implies it must still covered under the original recall warranty.

There were 2 versions of the recall, depending on the state of the harness.

If the harness was showing signs of damage, it was replaced which is what I think @Durzel posted.

If there was no damage, the harness should have been modified to prevent future damage. This I believe is a simple cover that is attached around the existing harness - probably a 5 second job. But it is certainly more than just an O-ring.

I think it is this, below. If it was never fitted, possibly too late to prove now, then the recall was never undertaken and I think it would be fair to say you have a valid argument.

TBH. First time I have looked at ours closely and still looks to be quite an unprotected tight radius bend. But it doesn’t appear to interfere with the hinge which I suspect was the design issue.

1714755246164.jpeg 1714755415103.jpeg

That’s exactly what I had fitted. Since my last post Tesla have just called me and said they are just waiting to talk with the mobile technician and if he confirms the work wasn’t carried out in October I won’t be charged. There is no record of any parts apart from that plastic Gromit being replaced. I then said surely I can’t be charged in any case if you only did the work six months ago and he said I would be charged because the warranty ran out, in March!

Anyway for now I will give them the benefit of the doubt and if the wind blows in the right direction I’m sure come Mon the invoice will be cancelled. TBF the Service manager has been very helpful so far.

Thank you all very much for all your help. I owe you a beer.

I’ll update on Monday.

That’s exactly what I had fitted.

That would meet the recall if the harness was not showing signs of damage.

HOWEVER, if that is the section of the harness that has failed (I would ask to see the original harness) then I would argue that either the harness should have been originally replaced as it was likely already compromised or, the replacement part didn’t do its job - not suitable resolution, a faulty part or incorrectly fitted. Then be prepared to accept a partial resolution.