Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot locked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I tried to find related threads, but without any chance. I bought Model 3 9/2019 (long range) from second hand, and I dont have an basic autopilot. Tell me please why? Unfortunately, I cannot contact previous owner as he is from different country (Netherland). I asked my friend, who bought brand new Model 3 in 7/2019 (standard range) and he told me, that there wasn’t an option to choose if he want autopilot or not, autopilot was default included in package. So, how it possible, that my Tesla doesnt has an basic autopilot? I also couldnt find answer in the google. I already contacted Tesla service, but they respond that basic autopilot is not included in my package. I’m a little confused, how it couldn’t be included, when autopilot is default included. I checked in my Tesla any information and I can see that autopilot is there (screenshots sttached). Is it possible that previous owner locked autopilot? or it was in Netherland law that it should be locked in this year (2019) or something? Please try to explain it. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_8356.jpeg
    IMG_8356.jpeg
    979.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8357.jpeg
    IMG_8357.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8358.jpeg
    IMG_8358.jpeg
    727.1 KB · Views: 5
Hello, I tried to find related threads, but without any chance. I bought Model 3 9/2019 (long range) from second hand, and I dont have an basic autopilot. Tell me please why? Unfortunately, I cannot contact previous owner as he is from different country (Netherland). I asked my friend, who bought brand new Model 3 in 7/2019 (standard range) and he told me, that there wasnt option to choose if he want autopilot or not, autopilot was default included in package. So, how it possible, that my Tesla doesnt has an basic autopilot? I also couldnt find answer in the google. I already contacted Tesla servis, but they respond that basic autopilot is not included in my package. Im little confused, how it couldnt be included, when autopilot is default included. I checked in my Tesla any information and I can see that autopilot is there (screenshots sttached). Is it possible that previous owner locked autopilot? or it was in Netherland law that it should be locked in this year (2019) or something? Please try to explain it. Thank you in advance.

Please take a look at your car label to see when it's produced. On 4/11/2019, Tesla announced that Autopilot is included with no further cost. If you car is produced before that date, you might have to pay for it.

However, your screen says "included package," so your car is covered with Autopilot.

Due to the recent recall in the US, Autopilot could be temporarily removed if the driver is caught being inattentive five times. I don't know if that is true in other countries.

Please take a look at your car label to see when it's produced. On 4/11/2019, Tesla announced that Autopilot is included with no further cost. If you car is produced before that date, you might have to pay for it.

However, your screen says "included package," so your car is covered with Autopilot.

Due to the recent recall in the US, Autopilot could be temporarily removed if the driver is caught being inattentive five times. I don't know if that is true in other countries.
As the previous reply explained, Autopilot Safety Features are standard safety features, not Autopilot.

Tesla doesn’t remove Autopilot from cars when drivers are inattentive, they disable Autopilot for some period of time. It would still show up as an installed feature.

Thank you for all responses. Could you please tell me what is the first and second number from your provided date? In our country we use first numb as a day and second as a month, but some countries use first month and second is a day. However, as I wrote above, my Tesla has a date of the first registration of vehicle 14.8. 2019. I think that this is not fair to pay for autopilot, when it should be included in package. Am I right?

Thank you for all responses. Could you please tell me what is the first and second number from your provided date? In our country we use first numb as a day and second as a month, but some countries use first month and second is a day. However, as I wrote above, my Tesla has a date of the first registration of vehicle 14.8. 2019. I think that this is not fair to pay for autopilot, when it should be included in package. Am I right?
The date in ISO 8601 format is 2019-04-11 which is easier for computer sorting from big to small YYYY-MM-DD.

According to Tesla announcement date, your car should come with Autopilot.

You might want to send a complaint to your Consumer Protection Agency.

The date in ISO 8601 format is 2019-04-11 which is easier for computer sorting from big to small YYYY-MM-DD.

You might want to send a complaint to your Consumer Protection Agency.

Well, I already contacted Tesla service in Prague, and they wrote “your vehicle has been purchased without autopilot, If you want the autopilot, price is €2500”. Thats all. So, I dont know what I have to do now.

Well, I already contacted Tesla service in Prague, and they wrote “your vehicle has been purchased without autopilot, If you want the autopilot, price is €2500”. Thats all. So, I dont know what I have to do now.
As @JulienW said, the timeline on US and EU might be different.

What also important is the receipt. The receipt is the contract between a seller and buyer. If you accept a receipt without Autopilot then it's hard to argue that you didn't. If you don't have the receipt because it's a second hand then it's also hard to prove that its receipt does list Autopilot.

When there's a dispute, the paperwork makes a difference.

Last edited:
The date of first registration being 2019-08-14, does not mean that it was not produced before 2019-04-11, especially as the vehicle is in Europe which would have had long transport times. (And could have been in inventory for a couple months.) Or it could have served as a loaner for the first months of its life. (In the US loaners don't have to be registered and can later be sold as new; I don't know if that is the same in Europe.)

Can confirm. I had to purchase Auto Pilot for my 2018 Model 3. If you can see the option in your app under software updates then you need to purchase it. If not then something else is going on. I for one am dealing with the annoying issues of buying a used 2021 Model Y from tesla themselves and it having existing FSD strikes on it. I've been on one strike away from being suspended since having the car so I hardly use the feature because I don't know how long the suspension is.

I think that vehicle was bought in Europe. I have checked vehicle records and this vehicle was bought new in Europe (of course made in USA). As per my information, in 2018 some Model 3 have not AP. In europe (as provided above) all Model 3 bought after April have AP by default. I have checked papers of my car, and there is “date of type approval EU 8.7.2019”. It means that car arrived to europe in this date. So, my car should has AP right? My friend who bought brand new model 3 SR in 2019 (he get it 7/2019 so his car is older) told me that when he configured his car, there wasnt any option to choose if he want AP or not. It was automaticaly filled as a included.

That's the date the EU certified that the vehicle meets all necessary EU regulatory standards for safety and emissions. It is not the Model year of the vehicle. Use a Vin checker and see what your vin info says.

Edit: Ignore this post. I see that you posted more info. I should have read the thread first sorry.