Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you still on the original battery pack with your 2012-2015 Model S?

Are you still on the original battery pack with your 2012-2015 Model S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you can charge past 68% the cap has been removed. (That is how the cap was implemented on the Model S 40.)

Nobody here is going to be able to tell you that.
What I meant was, how can I confirm if my car was originally sold as an MS40? I've taken their word for that, and that it was later uncorked at some point, but I don't really know if that is accurate.

What I meant was, how can I confirm if my car was originally sold as an MS40? I've taken their word for that, and that it was later uncorked at some point, but I don't really know if that is accurate.

I can't imagine them lying about that. At one point the VIN did give the battery type, if I recall correctly. You'd have to find an old VIN decoder to figure that out.

I think I recollect that the 40s were made with thinner cables from the charge port down to the battery chargers, or some such thing. Anyway, it required some equipment upgrades to allow supercharging. Most folks back when said it wasn't worth the cost . Not sure what they charge now though. Parts availability may be an issue as well, as that was quite a while ago.

I think I recollect that the 40s were made with thinner cables from the charge port down to the battery chargers, or some such thing. Anyway, it required some equipment upgrades to allow supercharging. Most folks back when said it wasn't worth the cost . Not sure what they charge now though. Parts availability may be an issue as well, as that was quite a while ago.
As far as I am aware the 40s were just a 60 locked such that you couldn't set the charging slider past 68%. It was exactly the same hardware, and Supercharging could be unlocked with just software updates.

As far as I am aware the 40s were just a 60 locked such that you couldn't set the charging slider past 68%. It was exactly the same hardware, and Supercharging could be unlocked with just software updates.

I could be mistaken. I do remember someone saying that the 40s could never be upgraded to supercharging, and I thought that was the reason given. Obviously they could have been mistaken. But, now my curiosity is piqued!

I could be mistaken. I do remember someone saying that the 40s could never be upgraded to supercharging, and I thought that was the reason given. Obviously they could have been mistaken. But, now my curiosity is piqued!
Due to low number of orders, REAL 40's were never produced. Instead, all the 40's were software locked 60's. For a fee, it could be unlocked to a 60, and another fee would allow supercharging. No hardware change required.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike and Rocky_H

Due to low number of orders, REAL 40's were never produced. Instead, all the 40's were software locked 60's. For a fee, it could be unlocked to a 60, and another fee would allow supercharging. No hardware change required.
Thanks all. Yes, it's been about 3 months since I last investigated it but, long story short, I went to 3 different SC's and after they dug into it, all said the car could be licensed for SuC but it wasn't the post initial sale cost of $2500, for MY car it was $12K and that was strictly a software license, no new hardware required, no new battery pack, no uncapping the 40K sw limit (that my testing has shown no longer exists, if it ever did in the first place!).

I found another post on TMC from a guy in CA who was told the same for his car and he even uploaded the estimate showing the $12K charge. This includes FUSC (if you consider $12K "free") which I don't need, and told them that.

In the 6+ months I've owned the car I've only had to leave it home twice due to lack of range, third time tomorrow, only because I can't do a quick SuC to "top off" the battery enough for a return trip home. So it really hasn't been a big problem, just an annoyance that Tesla has no interest in helping me out.

All I asked for was to pay $2500 for a "right to use" SuC PAYG license to use the SuC network on a PAYG basis but they said that wasn't an option, $12K for FUSC or nothing! Don't they want to get rid of FUSC cars?!?!? WTF are they then making this my only option other than to price it high enough I won't do it and will stop pestering them about it! I'll admit that that tactic worked!

On a positive note, my ICE mechanic checked out the speed sensor and said it was dry as a bone, no signs of coolant leakage on my LDU for now. I'll have it checked every 5K miles in the hopes of catching it if/when it does start leaking but before it destroys the electronics. If I catch it, what then? Do they rebuild them? I've read a little bit about it and it seems they mostly all get replaced with "U" revs of the LDU.

And on another positive note, the $13 Tesla Diag to OBD II cable I bought off eBay arrived today, and it works with the cheap $8 Bluetooth OBD II adapter I bought a couple of years ago for my ICE car. I bought scan-my-tesla app and gathered a ton of cool looking data.... That I have *no idea* what any of it means!!!!!

D'OHHHHHH!!!! Guess I've now got a lot of research and learning to do! 😂

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: kavyboy and Rocky_H
I don't think there's a way to know the percentage of all 2012-2015 Model S's that have had their battery packs replaced, but I'm curious about the owners here on TMC. In addition to answering the poll, if you want to provide any amplifying information such as miles, rated range at 100%, etc., feel free to post that as well.

I'm still on the original pack with my 2015 Model S 85D ~78k miles and only ~202 miles at 100% charge.
I had a refurb A pack put in after a ~2017 A pack failed. Still have 252 rated range but my mileage is quite low.

Thanks all. Yes, it's been about 3 months since I last investigated it but, long story short, I went to 3 different SC's and after they dug into it, all said the car could be licensed for SuC but it wasn't the post initial sale cost of $2500, for MY car it was $12K and that was strictly a software license, no new hardware required, no new battery pack, no uncapping the 40K sw limit (that my testing has shown no longer exists, if it ever did in the first place!).

I found another post on TMC from a guy in CA who was told the same for his car and he even uploaded the estimate showing the $12K charge. This includes FUSC (if you consider $12K "free") which I don't need, and told them that.

In the 6+ months I've owned the car I've only had to leave it home twice due to lack of range, third time tomorrow, only because I can't do a quick SuC to "top off" the battery enough for a return trip home. So it really hasn't been a big problem, just an annoyance that Tesla has no interest in helping me out.

All I asked for was to pay $2500 for a "right to use" SuC PAYG license to use the SuC network on a PAYG basis but they said that wasn't an option, $12K for FUSC or nothing! Don't they want to get rid of FUSC cars?!?!? WTF are they then making this my only option other than to price it high enough I won't do it and will stop pestering them about it! I'll admit that that tactic worked!

On a positive note, my ICE mechanic checked out the speed sensor and said it was dry as a bone, no signs of coolant leakage on my LDU for now. I'll have it checked every 5K miles in the hopes of catching it if/when it does start leaking but before it destroys the electronics. If I catch it, what then? Do they rebuild them? I've read a little bit about it and it seems they mostly all get replaced with "U" revs of the LDU.

And on another positive note, the $13 Tesla Diag to OBD II cable I bought off eBay arrived today, and it works with the cheap $8 Bluetooth OBD II adapter I bought a couple of years ago for my ICE car. I bought scan-my-tesla app and gathered a ton of cool looking data.... That I have *no idea* what any of it means!!!!!

D'OHHHHHH!!!! Guess I've now got a lot of research and learning to do! 😂
Look what I found in the SMT data.... At some point in the past, my MS60 did 31.9kWh of DC charging despite it never having had a SuC license! Who knew?

At least it shows my old girl is capable of it if I can ever get a reasonably priced license! The rest of the screenshots are in the SMT Results thread.

Attachments

• XRecorder_21052024_172721.jpg
    XRecorder_21052024_172721.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 4
Look what I found in the SMT data.... At some point in the past, my MS60 did 31.9kWh of DC charging despite it never having had a SuC license! Who knew?

At least it shows my old girl is capable of it if I can ever get a reasonably priced license! The rest of the screenshots are in the SMT Results thread.
IF that is the original battery. Quite likely that amount of supercharging was done at a service center/factory to get it charged up for transport. Also, that is based on the battery, not car.

Reactions: GHammer and MP3Mike
IF that is the original battery. Quite likely that amount of supercharging was done at a service center/factory to get it charged up for transport. Also, that is based on the battery, not car.
Yeah I was thinking the same. I also saw how we can request and download our cars data, which I did today and I found mention that my car did indeed start as an MS40 but was upgraded to an MS60 but SuC wasn't purchased at the same time. I also found the estimates I had requested for enabling SuC and other DC Fast charging, see attached.

The BMS error was a false alarm triggered when they deinstalled the CCS upgrade they never should have sold me and installed since it requires SuC to first be enabled. I have not had any errors or problems AC charging since.

Attachments

• SuC 40k-to-60k Reference.png
    SuC 40k-to-60k Reference.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 2
  • DC Fast Charging Costs.png
    DC Fast Charging Costs.png
    107.1 KB · Views: 2
Yeah I was thinking the same. I also saw how we can request and download our cars data, which I did today and I found mention that my car did indeed start as an MS40 but was upgraded to an MS60 but SuC wasn't purchased at the same time. I also found the estimates I had requested for enabling SuC and other DC Fast charging, see attached.

Attachments

• DC Fast Charging Costs.png
    DC Fast Charging Costs.png
    107.1 KB · Views: 4
  • SuC 40k-to-60k Reference.png
    SuC 40k-to-60k Reference.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 3