Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Battery Range Concern

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speed and HVAC use are just some of the variables used to determine efficiency,
Do you have MYLR or MYP? What kind of tires do you have? What size tires you have on your vehicle? What was the tire pressure? What was the outside temperature?
There are several variables that impact efficiency, and therefore battery consumption.

P.S. The more mileage you put on the car, the lesser range anxiety you will have.
I have MYLR with 19" Wheels. Pressure is around 40psi all around. It was a bit cold this week in the high 30's low 40's all week in the mornings. I assume all those factors played into the numbers I am seeing. Not too worried about it now. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't seeing an issue.

The 3% idle loss could be a lot of things. Sentry mode, sure, most likely this time, but it could also be cooling the batteries for a few minutes after a long drive. I've also seen it stay awake trying to connect in a bad cell signal area. I see a 5% loss over night at our cabin if I don't power down the car when we arrive. (no cell service or wifi at cabin).

Alan,
Temperature, wind, wet streets and other factors play a role in the efficiency of the Y. More knowledge people can give better percentage than I can. I drove between Tyler and DFW area several times a week. From my limited experience I have found the best traveling temperature is between 60 - 90 degrees.

I have a new Model Y. Just picked it up on 2/8/2024. I have some concerns about range and since this is my first Tesla I figured I'd ask the community.

I had the car plugged into my wall charger overnight. I keep it charged to 80%. I unplugged it this morning. I drove 7 miles to my office and noticed I was already down to 77%.
Does that sound right to you all? 3% of my battery for 7 miles?

I did get on the highway. I drove around 70mph there. I probably sped up above 70 to get around slower traffic. I have the car in Chill mode so I don't accelerate fast.
I had the air on but it was cool this morning so I don't think it ran much.

Looking at the drive in the Tessie app I see the following info:
I drove 7 miles in 10 minutes.
Min speed 48mph
Max speed 79mph
Range Efficiency 78%
Energy Used 2.36kWh
Average Used 335Wh/mi

I have a planned trip from Dallas to Panama City Beach, FL next month so I want to make sure there isn't anything odd in my numbers before I leave for that.
I am assuming because my speed went up pretty high for a bit that it ate up more battery.

Thoughts?
you dont say which MY you have, but assuming MYLR, the avg efficiency target is 276 wh/mile
the Govt rounds and does kwh
1710201111805.png

try and go light on the pedal, keep top speed at or below 70 mph
watch the energy app in the vehicle for the consumption, instant, and you will see how you are driving
this will allow you to learn how to get max range

you dont say which MY you have, but assuming MYLR, the avg efficiency target is 276 wh/mile
the Govt rounds and does kwh
View attachment 1026899
try and go light on the pedal, keep top speed at or below 70 mph
watch the energy app in the vehicle for the consumption, instant, and you will see how you are driving
this will allow you to learn how to get max range
I am going to let the car FSD me all the way to FL next month and maybe set the offset to 2% . Will report back and let you all know how it goes...

Hi All, I got back from my Dallas to Panama City Beach, FL trip yesterday. The trip could not have gone better. My range anxiety is completely gone now.

We left on a Thursday morning and drove down to New Orleans to stay for the night. Then we drove on over to PCB. I ran the standard map on the Telsa screen and ABRP on my phone but honestly, I didn't need ABRP. The car's mapping system was right on the money. Maybe -1 or -2 percent depending on the road conditions when estimating battery at arrival at the next charger. Charging was quick and easy. I did charge 1 extra time on the way out because we stopped at Buc-ee's and they had chargers. I didn't need to but I went ahead and hooked up there anyway.

Coming home we were planning to stop for the night again but we just wanted to get home so we did the 15-hour haul in one shot. Again, the charging was great. No range issues whatsoever.

Now for my FSD review. If you are looking forward to this new Robo Taxi thing being announced you might want to park for a while because it is my estimate that we won't see full driverless cars from Tesla for at least 5 more years if not longer. This tech has a very long way to go to get to human-level driving. I mean, if there were nothing but FSD cars on the road and no humans operating cars maybe they could deploy this but the fact is we are going to have human drivers for a very long time. FSD just can't handle a lot of situations. From sudden slowdowns for no reason at all. I mean like there is no one for miles in front or behind and the car just suddenly slows down by 20 mph and no speed limit changes. The car wants to be in the fast lane all the time. It doesn't follow laws by getting into the fast lane and then moving back to the slow lane once it has passed a slow-moving vehicle. I set this thing to run at 80 mph pretty much the entire trip on the highways. I found myself frequently turning on the minimize lane changes and then just hitting the blinker myself when I wanted to move around.

Here is another annoying thing. The car does not understand how to put pressure on someone who is in the fast lane but going slow. It would often get in the fast lane and maintain a lot of distance from the car in front of me and since I wasn't putting pressure on them they just stayed in the lane as well going at or below the speed limit. I often had to take control and speed up to show that driver I wanted by. Alternatively, the car also doesn't understand that pressure is being applied when the driver behind me is riding my butt because my car didn't want to follow too closely behind another slow driver.

I really found it pretty annoying that I had to babysit the thing so much. There are a lot of other annoyances as well off the highway. I changed lanes in the middle of intersections multiple times. That is illegal. It often moved to the wrong lane only realizing it did so when a turn lane appeared ahead and then it had to cut people off to get back over.

In my opinion, this big Robo Taxi announcement coming up in August is just another Elon ploy to get publicity but ultimately won't amount to anything for many years.