Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 US model Y rwd battery type and size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2024 MY RWD - ~ Panasonic NCA 2170 79kwh locked at ~67kwh - charging speed locked at 160kw - standard audio - 32A onboard charger?
2023 MY RWD - ~ LG NCA 2170 78kwh locked at ~70kwh - charging speed not locked ~220kw - premium audio - 48A onboard charger

arguably, the Panasonic cells are better than LG cells. But it is weird that tesla locked its charging speed.

2024 MY RWD - ~ Panasonic NCA 2170 79kwh locked at ~67kwh - charging speed locked at 160kw - standard audio - 32A onboard charger?
2023 MY RWD - ~ LG NCA 2170 78kwh locked at ~70kwh - charging speed not locked ~220kw - premium audio - 48A onboard charger

arguably, the Panasonic cells are better than LG cells. But it is weird that tesla locked its charging speed.
correction - 2023 MY RWD most likely uses LG NMC cells. 2024 MY RWD Panasonic cells are likely NCA.
I guess NCA cells have higher thermal runway risks, so tesla limited its charging speed. But NCA cells should provide better accelleration.

• Informative
Reactions: mborkow
correction - 2023 MY RWD most likely uses LG NMC cells. 2024 MY RWD Panasonic cells are likely NCA.
I guess NCA cells have higher thermal runway risks, so tesla limited its charging speed. But NCA cells should provide better accelleration.
WRT acceleration, 0-60 mph is the same (spec) for 2023 and 2024 RWD Model Y (though that doesn’t mean you are wrong and they simply didn’t update the spec just like they didn’t update the spec for the range/battery pack that are in each vehicle).

Also worth noting that hand calculations of (407 city, 355 highway) so 0.55*city+0.45*highway times 0.7 gives a range of 268, so it seems that the range is probably substantially understated unless I am missing something. Back in the day of the 0.75 scalar this would have given nearly 290 mile range!
This seemed to be the case.
I would guess it ends up being a bit more efficient than the early-2023 LFP version just based on past EPA docs but someone would have to verify that.
I did not watch the video. (I checked...actually LFP and NCA are near identical in Charge-Depleting Highway, 187-188Wh/mi (remember these are super slow highway tests). Five-cycle results not published for 2024 NCA RWD.)
it does not make sense for tesla to software limit charging speed.

Agreed: that would just cause artificial congestion at super chargers.
Yet, that is what they do. About a 160kW limit but without tapering until a bit below 50%. Just costs a couple minutes or so at most up to just below 50%.

Is this summary correct?:

Early-2024 MY RWD: Panasonic 2170L NCA, 66-67kWh capacity limit, 48A OBC, ~160kW Supercharging limit, just a capped version of regular LR curve. (OBC= On-board charger)
Late-2023 MY RWD: LG 2170 NMCA, ~70kWh capacity limit, 48A OBC, ~250kW (?) Supercharging limit (any curves available?). <= Perhaps the best car ever.
Early-2023 MY RWD: LFP. (Not of interest here.)

Last edited:
Early-2024 MY RWD: Panasonic 2170L NCA, 66-67kWh capacity limit, 48A OBC, ~160kW Supercharging limit, just a capped version of regular LR curve. (OBC= On-board charger)
Late-2023 MY RWD: LG 2170 NMCA, ~70kWh capacity limit, 48A OBC, ~250kW (?) Supercharging limit (any curves available?). <= Perhaps the best car ever.

The little difference in battery should not matter in real world driving experience.
But 2023 MY RWD has 11 speakers 2 amps premium audio, 2024 MY RWD no longer has premium audio. This really sucks for 2024 buyers.

Probably addressed in thread, but all the Model Y RWD vehicles are safe to charge to and rest at 100%, because that state is below the battery's true capacity?

Considering buying a Y for my parents who absolutely do not care about performance, or AWD (in the South), but I wouldn't want them to even need to think about charging limit management.

though 60-0 might be
Agreed, 60-0 is more important than 0-60 to the majority of the MY RWD buyers. M3P buyers probably care more about 0-60.
Not being grumpy, just trying to point out the market segmentations of MY RWD- living in the city, not young anymore, care about family safety more than speed, don't need the "dual motor" badge just to show off, lol

Agreed, 60-0 is more important than 0-60 to the majority of the MY RWD buyers. M3P buyers probably care more about 0-60.
Not being grumpy, just trying to point out the market segmentations of MY RWD- living in the city, not young anymore, care about family safety more than speed, don't need the "dual motor" badge just to show off, lol
Spot on: for $38k I got all the safety, utility, access to charging network that every Model Y gets. Since RWD’s battery is also above spec (10% for 2024 and 15% for 2023) and slightly more efficient than the LR (since it weighs 200 lbs less) I also got very good range for the money (around 290 miles rather than the stated 260). My brother (single guy) can’t understand why I didn’t get the MYP; I tried explaining to him that the only girl I’m trying to pick up in my car is my daughter to take her to swim class…but he just shakes his head.

Reactions: Honda Convert
The little difference in battery should not matter in real world driving experience.
But 2023 MY RWD has 11 speakers 2 amps premium audio, 2024 MY RWD no longer has premium audio. This really sucks for 2024 buyers
Don't want to hijack a "battery" thread, but...What "sucks", is that they don't let you know when making your decision. I think RWD owners wouldn't mind paying the extra for what they heard when test driving the (only dual motors in my area) car. Dumb deletion IMO.