Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zextraterrestials S (tory)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New data Point

Standard charge - 270 ideal miles

I pushed her to 123 today. had a limit line somewhere around 280-300 kW, not sure though ( 220 ideal miles on bat) after all I was going 100-110 and paying attention to the road to make sure there were no cars coming. Ran out of road with sight distance ahead and had to slow. the over 110 part is definitely slower, which is not bad in my opinion. 100 is fast enough and she reaches it pretty damn quick.

I gave 2 of my neighbors rides- and lots of people I work with. The first neighbor is in his late 60's? and retired. He is the one that bought my Rav. He has been talking about the car as much as I have! I gave him the first ride and he seemed excited, but i found out that he was just on the edge of having a heart attack :scared: oops.

Today I gave my neighbor, who is a mechanic at the local Ford dealership, a ride. He and his wife finally caught me to look at the car. He was super impressed with the size of the interior and, well, no engine or motor in the front or rear!. what? his wife was a little more shocked. I told him the motor is between the wheels an battery is flat and under, he was the first person who seemed to get it. Everyone else says' oh batteries are in the sides?' or something opposite of what I just said.

I gave him the same ride but pushed it a little harder for a couple of the curves and straight. All you can do is laugh a little Right?:biggrin:
He took pics of the interior to show his buddies at the shop.

Thursday night some kid took pictures for his webpage featuring cars that he sees drive around in places.
he was super stoked to see a Tesla!

Thumbs up from a kid in a bigass V8 lifted truck. He was turning and slowed to snap a pic I think with a big grin

good times

I was always shy, trying not to be anymore I guess:wink:

U still got 220 on a charge going over a 100mph?

220 Ideal is what I had showing when I was pushing it and had a top end power limit . You'd probably only get 100 miles or so going 100 mph. Not sure though, I haven't gone a steady 100 ever to see the kw draw

Whats your range at 75mph-80mph? I commute everyday to work and hope I will at least get 200 on a charge not that I need it my commute is only 80 miles roundtrip. Just trying to get an idea of what I should expect out of the car because I drive hard.

Whats your range at 75mph-80mph? I commute everyday to work and hope I will at least get 200 on a charge not that I need it my commute is only 80 miles roundtrip. Just trying to get an idea of what I should expect out of the car because I drive hard.

This page is helpful
Your Questions Answered | Tesla Motors

Looks like going that speed you'd get around 200 miles.

I'll try and stick to 75 for a stretch a little later today and I'll report back with a Whr/mile # that I get on a straight flat area
maybe I'll do and 80 on the way back if there are no cars/ cops and it looks clear

I'd guess about 200 miles of range driving 'normally'.
If you drive really hard and are around towns with a little stop and go I'd think 160miles range (and this is with quick 0-45mi whenever there is a chance + getting to 65 as fast as possible!)

edit:
55-56 mph Eureka/Arcata Corridor ~ 300-350 Whr/mi
60 mph (NB) through Petaluma ~ 300 Whr/mi
70 mph ~ 365-375 Whr/mi
75 ~ 400 Whr/mi

Last edited:
1000 mile update -

View attachment 12859

I didn't keep track of all the rides I gave but there have been quite a few of them mixed in w/ my work time

This is much more 'fun' than keeping track of gas!

I did not quite understand this document. You start at 12/1/12 with a total kWh/mile of 307,6, and after the next trip same day which averages 329kWh/mile the total kWh/mile consumption drops to 287,5? Am I reading it wrong? It seems all your trips are far above the total kWh/mile average, which means the starting point for the total kWh/mile measuring is a bit off?

I did not quite understand this document. You start at 12/1/12 with a total kWh/mile of 307,6, and after the next trip same day which averages 329kWh/mile the total kWh/mile consumption drops to 287,5? Am I reading it wrong? It seems all your trips are far above the total kWh/mile average, which means the starting point for the total kWh/mile measuring is a bit off?

Ya, sorry that 3rd line is screwed up. I was coming back north and didn't have my method of trip recording set up yet.
the trip distance on the third row + the total miles of the 2nd row doesn't add up right but past there it is good

Well, I only managed to get a 70 and 75 mph on of relatively flat 4-5 mile stretches so the #'s could be better.

70 mph ~ 370-380 Whr/mi
75 mph ~ 400-415 Whr/mi

12/17 my regular charge was 281 miles ideal + yesterday I was at 98 miles ideal and I drove 5 miles on flat ground at 55 mph and I had 105 miles ideal when I was done
My car is magical:smile:

12/18 I did some ~80 mph cruising w/ 4about 800lb of people/presents in the car averaging about 500 Whr/mi

Averaging a tiny bit over 400 Whr/mile but I think that will go down quite a bit the future ... tires do wear out and are pricey :wink:

Last edited:
I cut some Lacewood pieces to see how the center fit was. I think I need to dye them a second time. I like the back piece but don't know about the front one. I will add the edges, which will be red strips and then more black for the front triangular pieces
DSC006471.jpg

that's my OCD car log book under there ;>
DSC006481.jpg

My wife had a board in our garage :smile: It is nice being an engineer and living with an artist who does absolutely everything
I put black analine liquid dye on it and rubbed it in and then rubbed it off and put bees wax on it. I think I need to sand it and do a second dye.

I went back to the lumber store we got the wood from last week but they didn't have any more lacewood.

We're taking the dogs to the bay area tomorrow through Wednesday in the S! wet weather, should be fun. ;>
I added a piece of ribbon to loop around each headrest to hold the dog mat up better in the front and I changed the screws for nylon screws but they don't touch the seat backs anyway.
DSC006491.jpg

It's pretty comfy back there! I can lay down just fine, stretched all the way out (5'10")

We're taking the dogs to the bay area tomorrow through Wednesday in the S! wet weather, should be fun. ;>
I added a piece of ribbon to loop around each headrest to hold the dog mat up better in the front and I changed the screws for nylon screws but they don't touch the seat backs anyway.
View attachment 13199
It's pretty comfy back there! I can lay down just fine, stretched all the way out (5'10")

would this be handy?
Walmart.com: Pets: Dogs: Travel Barriers

Dog Barrier Dog Car Barrier | PetSmart

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/auto-atv-auto-interior-auto-pet-accessories/_/N-1100769+4294759746/Ne-4294759746/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_103962780?WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU

Hatchbag Pet Net Travel Dog Car Barriers & SUV Metal Pet Auto Barrier

Nah, I don't shop at Walmart! or the other places that are probably owned by the same people for that matter if I can help it.
+ the carpet thing I did goes up the side doors so the dogs can't scratch the window sills. worked like a charm. I'd rather make my own things, much cheaper and stuff actually works.

So I did most of a range charge this morning ( 5 minutes until finished) and I was at 310 Ideal miles. We loaded up the dogs and set off for the > 300 mile journey and full car.
DSC006541.jpg

we had 3 gallon pots of bamboo, sourdough in bowls + clothing for 5 days, 6 towels, 2 pillows, >144oz honey, some other junk, laptop bag etc.
but the only thing in the rear storage is my car cover ...which won't be used because it is raining.kinda lame,should have left it home
DSC006521.jpg

Stopped for lunch and about 3 hours charging to get back to 300 miles ideal charge after driving about 80 miles.
Another stop for 30-45 minutes in Hopland picking up 18 miles of ideal (we should have charged a little longer:eek:) to I think 188 ideal miles.

well, made it with the dogs and wife - 0 miles ideal remaining 0 miles projected and 0 miles left to go as we rolled into Los Altos hills for the 'Apocalypse':tongue:
damn close!
DSC006621.jpg

and I was going 55-60 mph from SF down to Los Altos. a little tough but not too bad when it is rainy because everyone either drives slow or like a maniac. Ukiah needs a super charger someday

charging at 120v now, ouch... plan to stop by Menlo tomorrow before getting tint in Belmont. & then add a breaker and outlet to this house with 18kw of solar ;>

Last edited:
My wife had a board in our garage :smile: It is nice being an engineer and living with an artist who does absolutely everything
I put black analine liquid dye on it and rubbed it in and then rubbed it off and put bees wax on it. I think I need to sand it and do a second dye.

I went back to the lumber store we got the wood from last week but they didn't have any more lacewood.

You've got one of the finest woodworking schools in the USA in your backyard at College of the Redwoods in Fort Bragg, CA. They should have a hardword lumber source nearby that stocks nearly every species.