Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Model S Sequence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone explain the letters before the number to me. What do they all stand for ?

S= Signature buyers--those who put down the $40k for a Signature Series vehicle and will be the first to get a car.

R= Reserved buyers--for previous Roadster owners/buyers who also want a Model S AND for their friend's and family. Each prev. Roadster buyer got 5 'tickets' to give out to friends and family for a certain period of time. I have a friend here on Tesla and Priuschat who gave me one of hits F/F tickets so I'm R77--I'll be the 77th person AFTER the signature series folks to get a Model S. $5000 deposit.

P- ?Peons?--the rest of the general public who've put down a $5000 deposit and will get their cars after the R series people.

Count me as one of the suckers=) Just wish the deposit went down before the market really tanked. Then it would have actually been a good investment taking it out of the market.
Oh well, can't wait to get one so it's worth it for me. Just hope the waiting pays off with an awesome car.

Last edited:
Got mine today!

Woo hoo!

For those counting and/or keeping track:

Just got my sequence number today. (Put the deposit down last night). I'm P 1,577. Expected delivery based on current production schedules is Q2 2012.

Now I just have to somehow tolerate driving my 2000 Saturn SL1 for 2 more years...

on the one hand, I'd like to reserve one, but on the other hand I think I might want to be number 10,000. That way they will have probably worked all the "kinks" out of such a new vehicle.

If they are estimating production of 20,000 by 2013 then I would assume they will have 10k by the end of 2012, or is that a bad guesstimate?

Jim

on the one hand, I'd like to reserve one, but on the other hand I think I might want to be number 10,000. That way they will have probably worked all the "kinks" out of such a new vehicle.

If they are estimating production of 20,000 by 2013 then I would assume they will have 10k by the end of 2012, or is that a bad guesstimate?

Jim
Probably a bad guesstimate. Tesla ramped up production on the Roadster fairly slowly. I have to assume it will be slower for the Model S because it will not be built at an established factory (the Roadster glider is built by Lotus). There will be lots and lots of kinks to work out - from supply chain, through manufacturing, to distribution. None of it's been done by Tesla at this kind of volume.

That said, I'm in sort of the same boat as you. I'm putting off my deposit until I decide the factory is for-real (unlike Albuquerque and San Jose). And even then I might wait to make sure they didn't bite off more than they can chew. But by then I could be serial number 5,000! So I'm hoping for a clean ramp-up.

Did the people with the early Roadsters get their issues with the car worked out? Meaning, if the early cars have bugs, can I expect Tesla to fix them? I hope they ramp things up slow and get it right on the Model S.

There's another thread where we are all pointing out that Tesla has been doing a great job supporting the car, fixing warranty items and making the cars right. They clearly see the importance of customer service and that having the cars working as promised will sell more of the next offering.

Did the people with the early Roadsters get their issues with the car worked out? Meaning, if the early cars have bugs, can I expect Tesla to fix them? I hope they ramp things up slow and get it right on the Model S.

All of the early Roadsters were upgraded from 1.0 to 1.5.

However one of the early complaints (first 50 Roadsters) was the fit and finish. Some of the body panels didn't fit properly. Many minor visual imperfections inside and out. I don't know if Tesla went back and fixed these things.

One early Roadster owner (VIN in the 20s) told me that he sold his Signature 100 and bought a 2010 because he was embarrassed by the car. He didn't want to show it to friends or business associates. He is thrilled with his 2010 Roadster. His comment was that Tesla finally got everything figured out.

Hey All, it's great to see so much interest in the Model S! Have been waiting on the sidelines since last March and am just about ready to plonk down the $5k to get on the wait list, somewhere in the P 1600+ range (and a 2013-2014 delivery date??), I guess.

Quick q: anyone worried about losing all that dough if Tesla goes down the tube?? Us wait list "depositors" will be last in the pecking order in the event of a Chapter 11 or 7...

Just noticed the IPO filing news, btw!
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/news-articles-events/3724-tesla-motors-ipo.html

Last edited:
Hey All, it's great to see so much interest in the Model S! Have been waiting on the sidelines since last March and am just about ready to plonk down the $5k to get on the wait list, somewhere in the P 1600+ range (and a 2013-2014 delivery date??), I guess.

Quick q: anyone worried about losing all that dough if Tesla goes down the tube?? Us wait list "depositors" will be last in the pecking order in the event of a Chapter 11 or 7...

Just noticed the IPO filing news, btw!
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/news-articles-events/3724-tesla-motors-ipo.html

I don't think many are worried about it. Unless you want(ed?) a Signature Series Model S the deposit is $5,000, which can be refunded at anytime (minus $50) if you feel the need for any reason.

Also, the DoE wouldn't have granted Tesla the loan if they didn't believe the Model S was a valid idea.