Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your "Ideal" Model 3 Layout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've said this before - the Model 3 better not go 260 miles for $35K. That will cheapen the brand and anger Model S/X owners. There needs to be a clear differentiation between two cars of the same brand that are 4x the price of each other. If the only difference is nicer seats or a nicer radio, why would anyone buy a Model S? Or worse, anyone thinking of buying those models will cancel their orders and buy the Model 3...and watch the extinction of the models that paid for the party.

What would your reaction be if at the same time the Model 3 is released Tesla uses the improved battery format and higher density and the Model S/X range is increased to 350 miles maintaining the clear differentiation?

Performance package: $1500

Unless you missed a zero, that's way too low for the Performance option. Today the Performance option is $20K plus $10K for ludicrous mode. A BMW M3 is $30K more than base 3 series. Not saying the performance is going to cost $30k, but it'll probably be a $10K option.

- - - Updated - - -

I've said this before - the Model 3 better not go 260 miles for $35K. That will cheapen the brand and anger Model S/X owners. There needs to be a clear differentiation between two cars of the same brand that are 4x the price of each other. If the only difference is nicer seats or a nicer radio, why would anyone buy a Model S? Or worse, anyone thinking of buying those models will cancel their orders and buy the Model 3...and watch the extinction of the models that paid for the party.

Elon is aiming for 200 real world miles, and if he considers the current model S rated miles as real world miles, than expect the base to be around 200-220 miles EPA rated with the higher battery pack at 260 or more. It's still boggles my mind that we're talking about $35K for essentially a model S 70 RWD at exactly 1/2 the cost. Tesla doesn't have 50% margins on the S70 and the gigafactory isn't going to all of sudden wipe out $35K in the cost of the car.

Unless you missed a zero, that's way too low for the Performance option. Today the Performance option is $20K plus $10K for ludicrous mode. A BMW M3 is $30K more than base 3 series. Not saying the performance is going to cost $30k, but it'll probably be a $10K option.

I agree. Bumped the pricing some. Total now is $63,650

Base Price: $35,000
Battery Pack Mileage-280 Miles: $6,500
Dual Motor: $3,500
Performance package: $8,500
Air Suspension: $1,200
Wheel/Tire package: $1,800
Paint options: $750
Leather interior: $1,000
Sunroof: $1,000
Tech Package: $800
Autopilot: $1,500
Sound System: $800
Subzero Package: $800
Cooled Seats: $500

I agree. Bumped the pricing some. Total now is $63,650

Base Price: $35,000
Battery Pack Mileage-280 Miles: $6,500
Dual Motor: $3,500
Performance package: $8,500
Air Suspension: $1,200
Wheel/Tire package: $1,800
Paint options: $750
Leather interior: $1,000
Sunroof: $1,000
Tech Package: $800
Autopilot: $1,500
Sound System: $800
Subzero Package: $800
Cooled Seats: $500
You're not that far off from my guesses earlier in another thread: Model 3 will have less features than the S. Which one would not make it? - Page 6

A couple of things that could be added to the list:

- Unlimited supercharger access (maybe $1000). I don't think unlimited supercharger access will be included with the base Model 3. It's possible that *some* supercharger access is included, and then you have to pay if you think you'll be a regular user, but it's also possible no supercharger access is included. If included with the larger battery, I would also up the price by $1000.
- Interior trim (Obechi, carbon fiber, etc, maybe $500).

Though I do think Tesla will try to keep options to a minimum, to have an efficient production process and lower production costs, so I think some of the above options will be bundled. Cooled seats probably wouldn't be an option, maybe not subzero package either. I think it's more likely you'd have a "premium seats"-option, with leather heated and cooled front seats and heated rear seats. The heated widscreen wiper nozzles and stuff is pretty useless and would probably be dropped.

Why not? Mercedes does this with their AMG division. Same engines, same performance but double or triple the price between a C63 and S63.

A couple of things that could be added to the list:

- Unlimited supercharger access (maybe $1000). I don't think unlimited supercharger access will be included with the base Model 3. It's possible that *some* supercharger access is included, and then you have to pay if you think you'll be a regular user, but it's also possible no supercharger access is included. If included with the larger battery, I would also up the price by $1000.
- Interior trim (Obechi, carbon fiber, etc, maybe $500).

Yes, I agree that it might come with at least some supercharger access. More access might be a lump sum or piecemeal.

Though I do think Tesla will try to keep options to a minimum, to have an efficient production process and lower production costs, so I think some of the above options will be bundled. Cooled seats probably wouldn't be an option, maybe not subzero package either. I think it's more likely you'd have a "premium seats"-option, with leather heated and cooled front seats and heated rear seats. The heated widscreen wiper nozzles and stuff is pretty useless and would probably be dropped.

I definitely think things will be bundled but I believe it is a good exercise to separate them here.