Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor You asked and we made it - Triple Chrome Nosecone Grill "NCG"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I saw this at the Public Enemy reunion tour.

Untitled-2.jpg

I'm not sure if there are any modern cars being made with much "real chrome" these days. Most of the trim is plastic if for nothing else but weight and cost of production. The name of this finish escapes me right now for some reason. Anyway, I believe plastic with a thin kind of metal film and then clear coated. If you breach the clear coat, you're done, it's a mess. That's why the trim should be treated like clear coat for cleaning practices.

edit: I think it's called vacuum metalized chrome plastics

To expound on this a little, even if I liked the overall design of this, which I personally don't, there is no way I'd want more "stuff" on the highest impact zone of the car that is highly subject to damage. I originally grumbled at the little bit of chrome plastic trim that was on the front of the Prius Plug-in because I knew it would look awful immediately. I see this as catching a lot of debris and bugs and looking awful. I don't know how rigid it is so is it very subject to denting?

I've actually been impressed with how well much of the trim on the Tesla has held up.

Last edited: