Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah but that is a really a fine line. In context they probably mean damage/discoloration to body panels, paint, fabrics, etc... by sunlight. Of course they can interpret it however they want regardless of whether it's right or wrong.

They also can't definitively say the issue is caused by sunlight. Other products with LCD screens have had this happen (e.g. MS Surface Pro 3, iPhone 5, etc...) and not once did a manufacturer say it was a purely cosmetic issue.

Sunlight? My car sits in a garage every day at work and at home and is getting the yellow edge..

I actually have an appointment on Friday to get the UV procedure. This is my 3rd or 4th attempt at an appointment. This is the closest I've got so far to the appointment date without having it be canceled. My fingers are crossed.
I’ve got an appointment next week too (my 3rd attempt), but I keep getting this nagging feeling that my appointment will again be canceled as the result of another breakdown of the UV device.

I got fed up with Tesla's response and was able to get a courtesy buyback at slightly less than what I paid for after going through the lemon process.

A simple screen replacement under warranty was all I wanted and in the end they forced my hand and took a bath on my P100D.

Good luck to everyone on here.

Good for you. Not sure why they are not handing this correctly. I have been waiting over a year for a fix. I have an appointment next week for the UV fix even though its only a temp fix.

Reactions: CA_MD
I’ve got an appointment next week too (my 3rd attempt), but I keep getting this nagging feeling that my appointment will again be canceled as the result of another breakdown of the UV device.

Well, even after texting them on Thursday to confirm my Friday appointment, I showed up today (Friday), and was told that they were behind and that my appointment needed to be rescheduled for Monday. I have a 30 min drive each way so it wasted about an hour or so of my time. While I was there he showed me a vehicle that had just finished the treatment, and it looked good. He also showed me one that was in progress so I got to see the machine in use. Anyway he was apologetic about the situation, I'm still optimistic that it will happen on Monday. As a bonus they're telling me they are going to upgrade me to HW3.

Had an appointment set over a month ago to get my Yellow Border UV Fix and they just cancelled my appointment stating that the tool is unavailable. I have been asking for a fix for over a year. Anyone get a repair in NJ or PA?

I had the UV repair done at the Devon PA service center. My car was the first one in the region to have the repair completed back in July/August when they were training the techs on using the tool.

I know some others here have had the procedure done at Devon as well since then.

Well, even after texting them on Thursday to confirm my Friday appointment, I showed up today (Friday), and was told that they were behind and that my appointment needed to be rescheduled for Monday. I have a 30 min drive each way so it wasted about an hour or so of my time. While I was there he showed me a vehicle that had just finished the treatment, and it looked good. He also showed me one that was in progress so I got to see the machine in use. Anyway he was apologetic about the situation, I'm still optimistic that it will happen on Monday. As a bonus they're telling me they are going to upgrade me to HW3.

Ok, it finally happened, got the UV treatment today. Results are good. And got updated to HW3 as well.

Anyone in Ontario got this done?

My 2017 June S100D is starting to develop this issue but is after warranty since I have nearly 100,000km on it, despite being only just over 2 years old.

This seems clearly a manufacturing defect. Do they cover it after warranty period? If not, how much does it cost for them to fix?

It's probably a bit insensitive given the number of owners in this thread, but I asked some time ago on one of the "screen" threads and haven't had any reply:

Has anyone got FIRM information whether the latest cars have a new edition of the 17" screen that is not prone to bubbling and/or the yellow border?

It's probably a bit insensitive given the number of owners in this thread, but I asked some time ago on one of the "screen" threads and haven't had any reply:

Has anyone got FIRM information whether the latest cars have a new edition of the 17" screen that is not prone to bubbling and/or the yellow border?

Depending on when you consider "latest" to be, my April 2019 build Model S (pre-Raven) has the yellowing issue on the 17" screen (and a bit around the edge of the instrument cluster).

Depending on when you consider "latest" to be, my April 2019 build Model S (pre-Raven) has the yellowing issue on the 17" screen (and a bit around the edge of the instrument cluster).

That's terrible. I can understand that Tesla could cock-up the supplier of a screen unsuitable for automotive use, but there's no excuse for the run=arounds so many people have been given for so long.

For the sort of money buyers are spending I would expect far better of the company: I suspect they are losing far more business than they are gaining. It is certainly making me reconsider spending $160k plus.

Reactions: P100D_Me
What’s amazing to me, after all this time the issue has been going on, is that:
A) They can’t/won’t find another supplier for these displays
B) The supplier has done absolutely nothing in its manufacturing process to correct this
C) They continue to use these same displays knowing the inevitable outcome

I seem to recall one of the definitions of insanity is repeating the same thing over and over again, expecting a different outcome. Of course if you’re not expecting a different outcome and continue to do the same thing, IMO, that’s just stupidity.

What’s amazing to me, after all this time the issue has been going on, is that:
A) They can’t/won’t find another supplier for these displays
B) The supplier has done absolutely nothing in its manufacturing process to correct this
C) They continue to use these same displays knowing the inevitable outcome

But you don't know if any of that is true. It is likely that they switched to a new version of the screen about the same time as the UV treatment information surfaced. (Which was around June if I recall correctly.) Also, some people have been told that the C revision of the display unit they install now as replacements doesn't yellow.

The newest car I have seen reported to have this problem was an April build, so we really won't know more until more time passes.

The newest car I have seen reported to have this problem was an April build, so we really won't know more until more time passes.

It's not just the screens though, is it? The MCUs running out of usable memory is a similar story.

Each of these issues is costing owners thousands, each is a known problem now and, unless we are told otherwise by the company - rather than supposition in blogs and forums - Tesla is still pushing out cars that will succumb probably just out of warranty.

I don't know if Tesla monitor these forums but if anyone in authority does he or she should be onto board members hard and instant.

The MCUs certainly aren't the same story, the MCU2 has a much larger eMMC chip that should last a lot longer, if not longer than the battery/car. (Especially if they have reduced logging like Elon has alluded to.)

The MCU2 has a 64GB flash chip with only 32GB formatted, so even at "100% full" it still has 32GB of free storage to wear level across. This is all given they don't format the rest of the chip.
MCU1 has an 8GB chip and it is 100% formatted. There's less than 500MB of free space nowadays, so that means all writes to the chip happen in the same 500MB over and over. Just the unformatted part of MCU2 is 65 times the size of the free space on MCU1 so theoretically the chip should last 65 times as long, or 65 times 4+ years, over 260 years.So basically it shouldn't ever fail due to wearing out.