Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow bands of death can disable some touchscreen controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did Tesla give you any indication that they would cover replacement of this new screen if it yellows?

One service center did, yes; "Since you paid Tesla will likely be more willing to replace if the problem continues". Nervous about examining my IC now though too, because those seem to be yellowing now, as well? But yeah, it was also made clear that this screen was supposed to resolve the yellowing issue.

Now whether or not they'll honor their word is another thing -- in March I was assured repeatedly that we'd be "Taken care of" and that it was the supplier who would foot the bill, not customers - we know how that went.

Reactions: St Charles
The yellow bands clearly are a material failure falling unter warranty, and i would in mid term expect that this is solved by the company which sold me a > 100 T€ car. But as Tesla shareholder and friend of its mission, i also can understand the potential short term impact. So they should have their for a proper root cause analysis, come up with a sustainable fix.

Tesla could generate a win-win situation, e.g by working on and offering a compelling MCU+screen update package, which could contain a renewed screen and a MCU3 with a updated recent chipset, which anyhow is reasonable in the next 6-12 months. Such a package could be combined timing wise with the availability of the FSD/AP3 Hardware. A lot of owners would be willing to pay a reasonable cost share for the Screen + MCU update, which on one side would fix the default, and on the other side would upgrade a large part of the fleet to a recent state. And instead of a huge financial strain to the company, it might cover the costs while being excellent customer service.

I have a 2018 P100D delivered on 12/1718. I just noticed I have the yellow border on my screen as well. My car has 12000 miles and NEVER sits out in the sun on any occasion. Always garaged and covered parking. I am not happy!
Nobody is happy about this, we have all been very patient waiting for the new screens to come out that Tesla said would fix the problem once and for all.
What I find crazy is the screen is one of the standout points regarding the Model S/X interior, it's the thing that everyone knows about the cars...Elon loves press, maybe the press needs to latch on to what is happening here which is really no more complicated than.
1 - Tesla appears to have gone cheap on the screens or didn't do thorough testing or isn't using automotive grade parts.
2 - Tesla told owners they would be getting them replaced when a new revision was designed and tested.
3 - Tesla changed their minds and are now wanting people to pay even though it is 100% Tesla's fault.

Nobody is happy about this, we have all been very patient waiting for the new screens to come out that Tesla said would fix the problem once and for all.
What I find crazy is the screen is one of the standout points regarding the Model S/X interior, it's the thing that everyone knows about the cars...Elon loves press, maybe the press needs to latch on to what is happening here which is really no more complicated than.
1 - Tesla appears to have gone cheap on the screens or didn't do thorough testing or isn't using automotive grade parts.
2 - Tesla told owners they would be getting them replaced when a new revision was designed and tested.
3 - Tesla changed their minds and are now wanting people to pay even though it is 100% Tesla's fault.

The screen is what defines the Model S interior and the one thing you use every moment you are in the car.

No mater what they may say, it is obvious that this a manufacturing defect and I don't buy any nonsense about the defective screens not affecting "functionality." It certainly does affect functionality when the screens are no longer able to display certain colors. This needs to be resolved under warranty with a clear screen. It seems this is the direction they are going by asking customers to wait for the clear displays to be available.

Reactions: sdoorex
Tesla got cheap on slot of things. I cannot comprehend how they cannot control the quality of parts from suppliers. Headlights, screens, struts ...I am sure list is longer...

I understand that mistakes can be made and I love how Tesla makes constant improvements to their vehicles to build the best car they can build. However, when they ship cars with defective screens, they need to accept responsibility and fix the defective screens.

It's so insulting and disrespectful to be told how a defective display with an ugly yellow border is a "cosmetic" issue when it affects the primary user interface of the car.

Isn't this something that's covered by law? I other words, has anyone looked at retaining legal council to assist with this issue? I'm surprised in the day and age of social media this issue hasn't gotten more attention.

It's absurd that Tesla won't replace the screens. The part is defective, warranty covers defective part, they're required to replace it at no charge to the consumer.

Jeff

Reactions: PhilDavid
Honestly I keep hearing that customer reps told customers that this is a cosmetic defect.. but who was told that? I was not .. they do acknowledge the problem and they are saying they will fix it. I am not told to buy a new screen or that it is not covered by warranty or crap like that. Let's curate the content a bit. At least go and talk to the reps instead of reading the forum and waiting passively for a fix and lamenting here about what they would do or say...

Reactions: Saxgod
Honestly I keep hearing that customer reps told customers that this is a cosmetic defect.. but who was told that? I was not .. they do acknowledge the problem and they are saying they will fix it. I am not told to buy a new screen or that it is not covered by warranty or crap like that. Let's curate the content a bit. At least go and talk to the reps instead of reading the forum and waiting passively for a fix and lamenting here about what they would do or say...

If you go through the threads (yeah, they are long) you will find numerous examples/screenshots or the "cosmetic defect" response.

yellow border - need advise
Here's one, see post #57

This is not fake news, this is indeed what some of us are being told.

If you go through the threads (yeah, they are long) you will find numerous examples/screenshots or the "cosmetic defect" response.

yellow border - need advise
Here's one, see post #57

This is not fake news, this is indeed what some of us are being told.

It's this "cosmetic issue" response that I am most upset about. It's as if it's news the the car would be in an environment with sunshine and temperature variances. I can't imagine even the sh!ttiest car dealer or automaker invoking a "cosmetic issue" clause to try and get out of a warranty remedy for a defective a part.

If your chrome trim turns yellow in 6 months would you buy the argument that it is just a "cosmetic issue" and should not be replaced?!