Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X 90D Tow Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a late 2016 90D I bought used. I have the window sticker and it does NOT have tow mode listed. In the menus, I see the toggle I can flip for tow mode and it does enable/disable. Does mean I have the equipment required to tow? I need to pop the rear cover off to see what’s under there still.

"Tow mode" is not the for towing a vehicle. It is the setting for having your vehicle towed. It keeps the car in neutral while being towed.

What you are looking for is "trailer mode". If there is no trailer mode listed on the screen (or on the sticker) it is not activated. On the the good side it can be activated by the service center.

Since you have a 2016 MX you may or may not have all of the hardware for the tow package. Open the door on the rear belly pan and check to see if you have the tow bar installed as well as the 7-pin adapter. Also check in the frunk to see if you have the Bosal hitch adapter.

If you have all of the hardware above then Tesla can activate the software only for $750. If not then the hardware and software installation is $1250.

Here's a link to the hardware pictures:
Tin Poodle: The Cast: Model X

$1250, but endlessly out of stock with no known in stock date...

You can buy the hardware used and install it all yourself, then you have to get the software updated which is $750. Unless you are lucky, some people have had it updated without a charge, but $750 is the official price. So, keep that cost in mind if you decide to buy used takeoff hardware...