Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towbar installation on 2016 X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I have a 2016 X that does not have the towing package. I purchased a towbar and hitch assembly and it’s been a struggle to get in with the only person in my area that installs them.

Looking at this picture:
1689608021974.png

It doesn’t look hard to install it, just pull that rear fascia off and bolt it in. I’m assuming those holes where it bolts to are already on the car?

Does anyone have a guide to installing this myself? I realize I would need to get the car flashed so that it knows it has the tow package now, but if I install this myself and tow without the flash in the meantime, will it cause any damage?

I’ve searched all over and not seeing any guides on how to install this piece - would love any help you all can provide! If there aren’t any guides, how many ft/lb should the bolts get torqued down to?

it is not that hard to install, remove thew fascia and bolt it in. No damage will occur from using the hitch without the tow package "flash/program" I have read many have done this install without any issues.
I have installed several hitches on different vehicles. I have not wanted to take on this job on mine yet. I watched a mobile tech remove half the fasteners on the rear bumper cover to inspect wiring. He was so careful. Took about 15 minutes just to half. Same to re install.

Cutting the rear diffuser/windage tray and making it look good the first time I’m not sure I could do as nice as I wanted to.

I’ve done the install on my S (very similar design, as they are technically the same platform anyway) and yes it does just bolt right on - you take off the old 5mph “crash” bumper and replace it with the MUCH beefier tow bar setup. That bar actually protected (and saved) my S when a pickup truck hit me in the back, and the bar and my hitch just destroyed the front end of his overpriced GMC.

On my X, I have the factory ‘not-a-towing-system’ installed, with the wiring as well. The computer is NOT programmed to think it has the towing package, and I’m OK with that. If you connect something to the wiring harness, you will get a yellow trailer indicator on the dash anyway, b/c it knows there is something electrical connected. SOMETIMES it will detect and alert you to a “heavy load detected, trailer mode enabled” and the trailer indicator will turn blue. When this happens, autopilot is disabled, and potentially cruise control is ALSO disabled. I believe the trailer mode programming is what forces the cruise to also be disabled. You really shouldn’t use autopilot (any version) with towing b/c the computer doesn’t know how to handle the change in vehicle dynamics. The only thing that seems to be missing from the programming (by not having it configured) is a menu option to manually enable trailer mode.

The physical installation procedure is probably a 6/10 for difficulty, less if you already have the trim tools for the variety of clips and fasteners, and replacements from Amazon on hand. I suspect they have the 10/10 difficulty b/c of the suggested programming which clearly can be skipped.

As for cutting the bumper - you do NOT have to cut anything that will be visible when the cover is installed. There is a black lower air dam / valence, that is what you need to cut. If you have a helper, you can test-fit the cover once you make a pre-cut (smaller) and see where you need to increase the size, it is just plastic. I used a 12v Milwaukee cordless 3” cutting wheel tool to make the cuts, easy and clean. You may want to make the hole a bit larger than suggested, to allow easier access to the hidden chain attachment points. I found the instructions didn’t leave enough room for my hand to easily get to the loops, but your mileage may vary.

Reactions: maxshuty and EbS-P