Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forum Members,
I'm seeking some advice/recommendations.
After ordering a inventory Model X and preparing to pick it up, I received a call cancelling the pickup the day before.
After speaking with several representatives I found out the car was damaged and needed repairs. The problem I discovered did not seem to be damage as much as the car was not operating. They told me they needed a week to fix it and would let me know when it was ready.
Needless to say I do not want a $100K "Damaged" vehicle. So I went to the showroom and placed a pre-production order.
Now after searching the forum on topics such as reliability and repairs, I've become quite nervous as to whether or not I should cancel.
I guessing that as Tesla gets more experienced producing the vehicle the quality of the build should improve. The plan is to receive the vehicle by year end. Which might mean trying they will produce a lot of cars very quickly to get them delivered by year end. That could be a bad thing?
All advice good or bad will be greatly appreciated. Long answers are not required. Maybe just a simple summary and a yes or no vote.

Have an X and a 3. Bought the X as a family car but turns out we don't take as many road trips as we imagined. Both kids still young. If I had to re-do it, I'd have bought 2 model 3's and rented a mini-van for trips.

Edit: I’m not complaining about the X per se, I would rather just use the money for something else.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Silence88
Love mine and I would buy another, although I will probably downsize as we don't carry passengers so often now.

I had one issue - a drive shaft problem. Great roadside service and I was out in a loaner S within an hour or so. I had a flat and they sent out the mobile tire repair truck and they fixed it at the roadside.

We love our Model X, now at 43k miles. We've had some early issues with the door locks which have been replaced with newer models, under warranty of course and with the help of a loaner vehicle. The Falcon Wing doors, we were worried about the most after all the bad press at the time, have worked flawlessly. They never fail to open or close and have never hit anything. Now, having to explain the operation of these doors to any new person in the car (and there are a lot as my wife drives it and she is a realtor) is starting to get pretty old.
But yes, we love the car and would most likely buy one again, perhaps with a different seat configuration as the fold-down middle row seats didn't exist back then. We love the look of the (2) middle row seats but it limits the amount and size of cargo.
We also have a model 3 which is just a blast. Very curious to see the Model Y.

For those of you who are tempted to say "how hard is it really to operate the falcon wing doors": They aren't but you still have to explain it to both the front passengers (so they don't get hit while getting out while the rear doors open) and the rear passengers on how not to stand right in front of the Falcon Wing doors when you push the door handle (and see it open only 6 inches). We have the older style inside buttons for the doors which I think make more sense then the new ones but apparently that is not the case for other people riding in the car.

Echoing others here. I got mine a few months ago and have driven nearly 5,000 miles without any issues. Would definitely buy it again if I was given a do-over.

The thing to remember with this forum is you're way more likely to have someone post a thread about an issue since they're upset and/or looking for advice. There's not much incentive for people to post a thread saying "I drove to work today and everything was normal".

As with computers and phones (go to Mac Rumors forums for an example) if you read the forums posts you would believe that every single vehicle is a falling apart and is in the shop every other day.

However, you never hear about the people that just get into their Tesla every day and drive with few or no issues. I have had minor issues (power would not come up until physical reset, AC coolant needed top off, and tire vibration) and believe the vast majority of Tesla owners are in this few or no issue category.

FWIW, we lease/buy a new car every 18 months and can say that we have more issues with the BMW, Lexus, and Mercs than with the Tesla.

Last edited:
Forum Members,
I'm seeking some advice/recommendations.
After ordering a inventory Model X and preparing to pick it up, I received a call cancelling the pickup the day before.
After speaking with several representatives I found out the car was damaged and needed repairs. The problem I discovered did not seem to be damage as much as the car was not operating. They told me they needed a week to fix it and would let me know when it was ready.
Needless to say I do not want a $100K "Damaged" vehicle. So I went to the showroom and placed a pre-production order.
Now after searching the forum on topics such as reliability and repairs, I've become quite nervous as to whether or not I should cancel.
I guessing that as Tesla gets more experienced producing the vehicle the quality of the build should improve. The plan is to receive the vehicle by year end. Which might mean trying they will produce a lot of cars very quickly to get them delivered by year end. That could be a bad thing?
All advice good or bad will be greatly appreciated. Long answers are not required. Maybe just a simple summary and a yes or no vote.

The funny thing is, most dealers also do this. When a car is “stuck at the port” it’s usually under repairs. I’ve found (in general) Tesla to be more transparent about it.

Reference: Your brand new car might not be completely new after all
BMW of North America, Inc. v. Gore

The important thing is if they’re willing to make it right and honor warranty claims. As for build quality. I have a 2016, and 2017, I’ve never been stranded by one.

At this point, the Model X is a mature build. They’ll make improvements still but the big leaps are done with in terms of quality. If anything, there might be a decline with a significant refresh/retool. (Ie, my early AP2 S had more quality issues than most AP1 Ss of the same year and compared to my AP1X)

But these cars are not for the faint of heart. They may or may not have issues, chances are they will. If you’re willing to go along with accepting this is a new company, and willing to deal with an occasional hiccup. Then absolutely. Get the car. They’re amazing.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
...The problem I discovered did not seem to be damage as much as the car was not operating...

That depends what kind of problems the car experienced.

If it's a bad battery, drive unit, tires, brakes... and they swap those out, I am perfectly fine with that.

If it's a dent on Falcon Wing Door and they swap it out, I am fine with that too.

However, if it's a dent on Falcon Wing Door and they would do a body shop to repair it: I won't take the car!

I've owned 2012 Model S traded it in for 2018 Model 3, as well as 2017 Model X. They all have been great even though 2012 Model S did have 3 problems with $9,000 worth of repair bill after 50,000 miles but they were all covered by ESA and the car was still running and was not disabled at any time.

As long as you got a free standard warranty and pre-paid ESA, you are good for the next 8 years or 100,000 miles without unexpected large repair bills.

I have an S and an X and I don't think you will regret buying your Model X. I've loved the driving and ownership experience of both cars and would definitely purchase an X again if needed. I agree with what other friendly forum members have said: most posts you read will be of concerns or stresses persons may have as fewer persons pipe in to just share how happy they are.

I have had some concerns and smaller issues pop up in the past and every single time, without fail, Tesla service went above and beyond to make sure things are right and I am happy. It's truly a pleasure and is a big part of why I love owning my cars. This contrasts a bit with my experiences with other manufacturers/dealers wherein I oftentimes have to argue to get anything resolved. I've recommended and have three friends purchase their own Tesla and can say each one is over-the-top happy. Hope this helps!

1.5 years with an X, 26K miles, just bought a second X for the wife. Besides some minor cosmetic issues that were fixed and a semi-dead 12V battery before the year's out (replaced at work by mobile ranger), the car has been solid. No service center visits, no oil changes, no gas station fill ups. My first service center visit will be in 6 months for the second-year service.

A+++, will buy again, and again!

Reactions: Electroman