Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you give up free supercharging for life?

Would you give up free supercharging for life?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forget about the "giving up anything" knee jerk reaction. The more important, is just how much money has it saved you?

Has it also led to the bad habit of only charging at Supercharges?

I don't have lifetime free Supercharging, but my 2018 Leaf has 2 years free charging and I have to pay for the Model 3. I'm not sure if we've used even $50 of free charging on the Leaf. And I know that on the Model 3, which is at 17,000 miles, I am just getting close to $100 of charging.
By contrast, I'm averaging 20,000 miles a year, most of them on road trips, so I use free Supercharging a lot. (I have no local Supercharging Stations. None.) I would very much like to keep it and since my battery is down 15%, making longer trip legs increasingly difficult, my preference is to put a new battery in my otherwise excellent car when the trips become too difficult to do.

While a newer car with 300 or 400 miles of range would be nice, I can't afford it so it isn't a realistic option.

I pretty much only supercharge on longer trips and even then I try to avoid it. We went to Northstar ski resort last weekend and I ended up using the Tesla destination charger while I slept and bypassed the two nearby superchargers.
That being said, I still enjoy not having to worry about supercharging fees on trips that require it.

I’d like to see them offer free supercharging for life (FSFL) but only at superchargers over 100 miles from the home of the owner. That way we could still go long distances without fuel costs but people would generally charge at home for local car use. I have FSFL but for me the FSFL with the 100 mile from home limitation would be just as valuable. I have a 75D which I love but the increased range of the 100KW battery does sound awfully good. I understand the FSFL isn’t very costly to Tesla for my car, I only use it for long trips, but now that I have it, I am reluctant to let it go in exchange for 3Y free supercharging on a new one. I plan to keep it for far more than 3 years.

I’d like to see all software enabled features move with the owner rather than the car. I paid for EAP, and FSD, why not disable them on the current car when I switch and enable it on the next one? It’d make buying a new Tesla less costly for me and I’d be much more likely to do it. Since those are seemingly permanently attached to my current car, the cost hurdle is a lot higher for a new one. It’s a software switch for Tesla. It might even be advantageous for Tesla, I currently have a level 2 computer. The FSD will require a level 3 computer. If the new one has the level 3, then Tesla wouldn’t need to upgrade my car’s computer.

I know the reason for not allowing the software to move with the car is that it adds additional profit for Tesla with the new car. From my perspective it is a real disincentive for me to trade cars. If I could transfer the EAP, FSD, and FSFL I might look at the P100D. Right now the software transfer isn’t an option, and I do so love my S75D.

I gave up free Supercharging, ventilated seats, and $500 to change my December 2016 order from an X90D to an X100D when they were first announced. We use it mainly for long trips. We made one 5500 mile trip and paid $151 for Supercharging. I was happy with that. Then Tesla gave free Supercharging of one sort or another to all existing customers. We got our $151 back. My guess is they simply weren't ready at that time to handle Supercharger payments.

Reactions: BerTX
Free Supercharging for like was a brilliant idea when Tesla was just getting started. They needed something to crystalize the idea that a big benefit of driving an EV was the running cost savings compared to buying gas for the ICE. Nothing is as powerful as the word "FREE!"

It sets you apart from any other transportation. The comment was that you could drive from LA to NYC and never take your wallet out of your pocket.

I get a quiet satisfaction every time I use a Supercharger. It is not so much as the savings, but that it is totally free.

Same with not needing to replace brake pads and rotors because of regeneration. No need to buy mufflers, tailpipes, fuel injection cleaner, DEF fluid, engine air filters, oil filters, oil changes every 3,000 miles.\

It all adds up to a much more pleasant experience. Getting ripped off by dealerships with overpriced service fees always left a sour taste in my mouth.

It is the same thing when you install solar panels, You tend to set your house temperature where you are comfortable, rather than shutting off the heat or cooling to save $

Reactions: TK16688 and MXn00b
It is the same thing when you install solar panels, You tend to set your house temperature where you are comfortable, rather than shutting off the heat or cooling to save $
I still limit our heating/cooling even with a lot of solar. Mostly because my heat is still gas-fired furnace until I can replace it with heat pumps. Also, I'd need about 20kW of solar installed to offset my winter heat load. For me it's more about limiting fossil fuel emissions.

Guess I'd have to vote 'yes', since i just did (replaced 2015 85D with new 100D). I drive 20K per year but only used about 250 kWh per year of supercharging. so I'm only looking at a benefit of $50/year ($0 in reality, since I did get 400 kWh free per year). Someone's enjoying free supercharging on my old car, though, since it was transferable.

Reactions: GSP
Re: I’d like to see them offer free supercharging for life (FSFL) but only at superchargers over 100 miles from the home of the owner.

This would be a great idea especially for the US and probably Australia. Certainly here in the UK and I'm guessing a lot of Europe our 'long distances' are often thought of as a little less than 100 miles. Perhaps 50 or 75 miles would be more appropriate.

I'm sure that with all of their expertise Tesla could differentiate between different continents.

Reactions: 365gtb4
For me, it's not really an issue for free supercharging - don't use it much except when traveling afar. Unless Tesla suddenly ups the charge rate costs, and as long as it remains somewhere near to the price of electricity then I don't think it's as much of an issue to pay for it. Would I exchange it for something in return? Possibly. Maybe upgrades, maybe gear, maybe something else.

I'm just grateful there's a growing network of chargers coming online for when I do actually need it.

I’d like to see them offer free supercharging for life (FSFL) but only at superchargers over 100 miles from the home of the owner.
Suggestions like this have been made many times over the years, and I disagree for the following reasons:

1. While Tesla has to honor free Supercharging on existing cars, going forward, they should not be incentivizing people to over-rely on Superchargers. Even on road trips, owners should seek to use destination charging whenever feasible.

2. There is no reason, apart from existing commitments, to be subsidizing heavy Supercharger users, regardless of their travel patterns.

3. If someone truly needs to Supercharge, they should do whatever makes the most sense for their circumstances, rather than potentially altering their behavior because of an arbitrary 100 mile radius. Personally, I live on a mountain, and when returning from trips, it’s more time efficient and a better use of Supercharger resources to save my final Supercharging for a location closer to home, near the base of the mountain.

4. Abusive people can easily “game” their home location. And what about people who have multiple homes or divide their time among multiple locations? For Supercharging purposes, why should Tesla have to care where someone calls home?

4. Abusive people can easily “game” their home location. And what about people who have multiple homes or divide their time among multiple locations? For Supercharging purposes, why should Tesla have to care where someone calls home?
In any system there will always be people that abuse it. The 100 mile (Should really be the next SC used be further from home than the previous one. Then "you're on a trip" mode engages, removes the monetary charge from the previous SC, and stays on until you charge next in your area.) is so that people aren't using the SC rather than charging at home.

In any system there will always be people that abuse it. The 100 mile (Should really be the next SC used be further from home than the previous one. Then "you're on a trip" mode engages, removes the monetary charge from the previous SC, and stays on until you charge next in your area.) is so that people aren't using the SC rather than charging at home.
I understand the motivation, but that seems too complicated. What if the trip only requires the use of one Supercharger?

Also, I wish that Tesla would start limiting free Supercharging to three years when they resell older cars.

Suggestions like this have been made many times over the years, and I disagree for the following reasons:

1. While Tesla has to honor free Supercharging on existing cars, going forward, they should not be incentivizing people to over-rely on Superchargers. Even on road trips, owners should seek to use destination charging whenever feasible.

2. There is no reason, apart from existing commitments, to be subsidizing heavy Supercharger users, regardless of their travel patterns.

3. If someone truly needs to Supercharge, they should do whatever makes the most sense for their circumstances, rather than potentially altering their behavior because of an arbitrary 100 mile radius. Personally, I live on a mountain, and when returning from trips, it’s more time efficient and a better use of Supercharger resources to save my final Supercharging for a location closer to home, near the base of the mountain.

I’ve yet to use a destination charger. There just don’t seem to be many of them, not where I’ve stayed, anyway.

There are some who use a lot of supercharging, there are others of us that don’t use much at all. It’s the average that’s important to Tesla, not the individual use.

My car uses about 300WH per mile. 10,000 miles of long distance travel at $0.12 per KWH costs $360. I don’t do anything like 10,000 miles per year at a distance of over 100 miles from home, so the cost to Tesla is far less. It makes people like me feel warm and fuzzy toward Tesla, makes us feel that we get something special, and we’re more likely to buy another Tesla. My $100 worth of supercharger use is a bargain for Tesla. I feel positive toward Tesla far more than one would anticipate for just $100 of real benefit.

People will still have the option to use any supercharger in any way they want, they’ll just pay the rates for close supercharger use. There’s nothing preventing you from charging at the base of your mountain.

I doubt people “gaming” their locations is a big factor in the overall scheme of things. Cars generally have to be registered at the primary residence, the address on the driver’s license. I don’t think anyone is going to go to the trouble to establish another primary residence in order to save the cost of 30KWH of power. At home we pay 12 cents per KWH. That’s $3.60. It’s the price of a Starbuck’s cup of coffee.

Why did I pick 100 miles? It’s well within range of a home fully charged car. I can charge at home then set out for Yellowstone, D.C., or take a grandchild to Disney World, all without any fuel costs at all. Realistically do I save much? Not really. But traveling free while others fill their tanks with $30-50 in gas every few hours is immensely satisfying to me. I forget that I spent $100k for the car and with depreciation, insurance, and expensive tags, this is probably the most expensive way for me to travel, but I still feel it is “free”. It just feels free. I think it was absolute genius on the part of Tesla to give away free supercharging, to get enormous amounts of free press, and to not have to spend a penny to advertise.

Ford spent $2.5 billion last year to advertise. Fiat/Chrysler spent $2.2 billion. GM spent $3.1 billion. Yet Tesla spent zero and make no mistake about it, virtually no one is unaware of the Tesla brand. In large part it’s because many of us are still amazed we can go cross country without fuel expense, and we spare no opportunity to tell others.

I think they can resurrect this program, institute the 100 mile rule, and get all the benefits. I don’t think any other electric car companies are going to be able to offer it. I think there will be a few high use people but as a percentage of sales, I think it’ll be negligible.