Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you consider a Bolt?

Would you consider a Chevrolet Bolt EV over a Model 3?

• Definitely yes

Votes: 27 8.1%
  • Definitely no

Votes: 250 75.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 56 16.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all -- I'm a journalist who has been lurking here for some time and learned a lot (thanks all).

I'm working on an article for an online pub, and I have a question: Would you consider a Chevrolet Bolt EV over a Model 3? And if so, under what circumstances? (i.e. will consider them equally, might consider if Model 3 is late/expensive, etc.)

Why or why not?

I'd like to be able to quote responses and can use forum handles if need be.

Thanks in advance!

Aaron

Maybe 5 years ago, maybe 3 years ago. Not now, no way. It's more about not trusting/valuing GM, imho.

On reflection, I should note: I might have considered it if it or something similar were being offered. It wasn't and I don't think GM's happy about doing it now.

Hmm they both have four wheels and some doors. Totally comparable!
You forgot the
sarcasm.gif
smiley on the end. :p

While I think it is awesome that there will be more long-range EVs on the market, I am not considering a Bolt based on one simple fact: it is impractical for road trips. As far as I know, GM is reluctant to engage in a fast-charging network. Looking at what exists now, I would have to L2 charge whenever my family wants to take a road trip (which is the main reason we have a car in the first place). We are a one-car family and want to stay that way.

Additionally, I support the ethos of Tesla. They want to change the world and are willing to collaborate with others to get there. GM sends strange signals when they destroyed every EV1 produced, they are trying to legislate Tesla out of Indiana, etc. I can't get behind that.

Tesla currently produces some of the safest cars in the world. This is very important to me for a family car.

I also have a lot more confidence in Tesla to take care of me as a customer after purchase. I have no such confidence in GM.

From my perspective, if I didn't get the M3 I would get another Volt. A Bolt with no Supercharger network might as well be a Leaf. Neither car does me any good on a long trip. At least with a Volt I can still travel as I need to. I have been driving a Volt for 4 years now and have been happy with it. It has performed as advertised or better. It lets me do 80% of my driving all electric but still do the trips when I need to.

The Model 3 appeals to me because of its technology and performance but without the ability to travel at distance efficiently it is of little use to me. Tesla can offer that...the others can't.

Dan

The only way I would consider a Chevy Bolt, is if it was temporary while I was waiting on my Model 3. There are two main reasons for this.
The first being that the Model 3 is an overall better car at a lower starting price than the Chevy Bolt. More range, faster 0-60 MPH time, attractive design, autopilot, and superior safety.

Secondly, GM is simply not passionate about sustainable transport. The only reason they're making an EV is because Tesla is becoming a very real competitor and they want to capitalize on demand. Because of this, they also still look as EVs the same as a ICE car instead of something completely different. Tesla is passionate about their mission and won't start making ICE cars even if they could make more money by doing so.

I would consider a Bolt, but they have a lot of challenges.

First, I would like to see GM take up Tesla on their offer to share the SuperCharger network.

I also don't like the dealer model, either for purchase or service.

But most of all, GM's support for the anti-direct sales legislation at various states really makes my not want to support them.

Naturally, you are going to get skewed results here. I suggest also asking in the GM-Volt.com forum: GM-Volt: Chevy Volt Forum

But you'd also get skewed results among any broad group EV enthusiasts or knowledgeable people. (Here are results from broad surveys we conducted last year. I doubt things have changed much since then, but if they have, I really doubt they've changed in favor of the Bolt.)

One key reason is that Tesla has the Supercharger network, with stations that are widely dispersed in practical locations (unlike the CCS/SAE Combo fast-charging network the Bolt will be able to use), can charge a car about twice as fast as the stations in the CCS/SAE Combo network, and are much more reliable.

Also, Tesla is now known for performance and cutting-edge technology (e.g., semi-autonomous driving, over-the-air updates, fancy touchscreens, etc), and the Model 3 is widely expected to trump the Bolt on these fronts.

You also have that fact that Tesla is a 100% electric vehicle company, and GM is far from it, and many buyers are likely to trust Tesla over any other company in this market. (Of course, you will also have some people who will trust the legacy automakers more.)

From that study noted above, 55% of respondents who didn't yet have an EV expected to get the Model 3, while 17% expected to get the Bolt. Among people who already had an EV, 39% expected their next EV to be the Model 3, while 6% expected it the be the Chevy Bolt.

With this study, note that it was long before the Model 3 was unveiled and, of course, before Elon Musk announced new plans to increase Tesla production to 500,000 cars per year by 2018 (rather than 2020). Both of those things have likely encouraged more people to favor the Model 3, imho.

Last edited:
Bolt as a vehicle is actually not bad; great range, nice interior, high-level base technology. It has the strength of reliability (being built by a titan of the auto industry), but has several weaknesses including size, exterior looks, and lack of effective long-distance charging.
But GM as a company has such a shady history, with multiple obvious oil-company relation actions, that it's hard to trust them to dedicate more than they already have to help the transition to sustainable transport. If anything, it's hard to buy an EV from a company that recalled and crushed all their EV's in the past just because the laws changed.
General Motors EV1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Yuri_G