Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy this? Second hand vs new Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I know this is quite personal, I guess I’m just getting cold feet. I guess I was hoping to use someone as a throwing board.

Was about to order a used 2019 in black from Tesla with 15k miles. Because it’s used it was coming with enhanced autopilot. 37.1k. Sold as I was ordering.

A demo 2019 with 5k miles in white with white leather and regular autopilot for 36.1k came up.
I know that I’ll want enhanced autopilot, which makes the white one 39.5k.

I don’t know whether to cancel my order and just wait for another used model, or whether the benefits of 10k less miles and being a first owner makes it a wash. I guess at nearly 40k it’s also teetering near the price of new, would you take a ‘21 with a heat pump, extended range, electric boot and regular autopilot or the older used white one with enhanced?

You need to be careful, EAP, FSD options are attached to owner and not the car. When the car is sold new owner does not get these features

Additionally had a 2 weeks trial of the EAP and it's just not worth it in the uk.
  • Autopark: Rarely identified a pace despite me driving past lots of them (yes it was less than 15mpg as per manual) to the point I just did not use it.
  • Summons: Sat it a Tesco's car park trying to summon it and proceeded to reverse the wrong way down a 1 way for reason I could not understand as all it had to do was move forward and turn left and travel a few feet.
  • Auto Overtake: This would be brilliant sit on the motorway cruising at 70mph and the car automatically overtakes slower cars. It doesn't, Apparrantly due to UK rules/laws. It suggests it, you need to approve it and then sometimes it works. Again it's less stress just overtaking manually.
  • Auto Navigate: This seems to be limited to exiting the motorway at a turnoff. This either did not work or did it so late is scared the cr*p out of me
Standard 'free' AP is not bad bar the phantom braking. I'm sure with v9 vision only FSD (just around the corner Apparrantly - so Elon has been saying for months ) everything will be wonderful. Need a Law change in UK as well otherwise it will never be able work as intended

Reactions: 15Peter20
Interesting, thank you all for the feedback and insight! Looks like you all might have saved me nearly 4k! I’ll be test driving another Tesla again tomorrow to really finalise my decision.

Without EAP the demo is nearly 5k cheaper than new. I think, for me, that’s good enough a saving unless the MIC models are leaps and bounds better. But it seems everyone here thinks they may be aha. I think I’ll have a better idea after tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone, appreciate your time

MIC model is better.... The new centre console doesn't rattle and comes with wireless charging. Comes with USB in the glovebox for Sentry mode (which you can lock with a pin). And probably the most important - comes with heat pump which seriously helps out during winter.

If you get the SR+ you will get LFP batteries, which have pros and cons, go read up on that.

And build quality is way better

• Helpful
Reactions: Puzuk
You need to be careful, EAP, FSD options are attached to owner and not the car. When the car is sold new owner does not get these features
If they belonged to the owner and could be taken from car to car I would buy FSD tomorrow. Sadly not the case.
If you trade into tesla then they will often remove them before re-selling, as is their right as the owner of the vehicle, but if you sell privately the options stay with the car.

Reactions: KennethS
This is not true, these are features of the car not the owner and they will transfer.

Tesla, if selling a second hand car themselves may choose to add or remove software features, but if a car is sold independently then features are transferred.

MIC model is better.... The new centre console doesn't rattle and comes with wireless charging. Comes with USB in the glovebox for century mode (which you can lock with a pin). And probably the most important - comes with heat pump which seriously helps out during winter.

If you get the SR+ you will get LFP batteries, which have pros and cons, go read up on that.

And build quality is way better
Hey, in defence of Fremont cars...........

nope I got nothing :)

to be fair my 2019 is fine

Hey, in defence of Fremont cars...........

nope I got nothing :)

to be fair my 2019 is fine
My Freemont car was built in the Land of the Free (*doesn't include healthcare, right to join a union etc). It also set sail under the Golden Gate bridge, with a general 'Hell Yeah, America!' attitude which it carries to this day.

Enough of these communist built cars, I heard the brakes don't work right.

• Funny
Reactions: ACarneiro
I know someone who ordered a 2020, 20 plate, M3 LR last week with EAP, Boost and tow bar but 15k miles and it was about £12k cheaper than a new car with the same options (they're paying under 43k). Because they add a year and 10k miles of warranty its coming with virtually the same warranty as a new car - that was too good a deal to walk away from, assuming the car still has paint on the sills :) If the savings had been say only a 5k saving then I'd have probably suggested they buy a new car. These don't come up very often and I think Tesla just boot them out and they get snapped up very quickly. Lets hope they're not cars that failed to sell at auction!

If you can wait, I'd be inclined to wait and try and grab one, but you just don;t know how long you'll be waiting for.

I know someone who ordered a 2020, 20 plate, M3 LR last week with EAP, Boost and tow bar but 15k miles and it was about £12k cheaper than a new car with the same options (they're paying under 43k). Because they add a year and 10k miles of warranty its coming with virtually the same warranty as a new car - that was too good a deal to walk away from, assuming the car still has paint on the sills :) If the savings had been say only a 5k saving then I'd have probably suggested they buy a new car. These don't come up very often and I think Tesla just boot them out and they get snapped up very quickly. Lets hope they're not cars that failed to sell at auction!

If you can wait, I'd be inclined to wait and try and grab one, but you just don;t know how long you'll be waiting for.
Jeez, haven’t seen a deal like that yet and I’ve been checking their site daily for like 3 weeks. Would jump on that!