Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would FSD Have Avoided a Head-On?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's hard to imagine what the algorithm would've made of such an unusual situation - and best not to find out. Ultimately, the computer are you were both left to guess at how to respond to something so far out of the norm. Swerving back to the right was the correct choice - you had an open lane and space there - but in the end there was no guarantee the other car wouldn't also swerve that way. Another response might've been braking, but that wouldn't have guaranteed the other car wouldn't run into you anyway.

Reactions: enemji
Ultimately, the computer are you were both left to guess at how to respond to something so far out of the norm.
It is true that there was a second of confusion, of disbelief as to what I was seeing. I knew the right lane was clear, so I didn't have to check.

I reported it via 911. The dashcam rarely seems to be able to resolve license plates.

No, I don't think FSD could have responded in time. It wasn't a terribly close call, but I'm glad the nags keep me honest.

I use FSD almost all the time, and think that with high likelihood it would have avoided the collision. If you were watching the visualization, you would notice that the blue "noodle" would project its path around the oncoming car. But I guess you wouldn't be looking at the screen.

I did have FSD avoid a head on. I live in rural WA and the main roads into town are two lane. I’m not a heavy user of FSD and don’t completely trust it. So when engaged I still monitor everything and stay ready to take over (Yea I know that’s kind of what you’re suppose to do). A few years ago I was testing a recent software update on the way into town. Not much traffic, slower pace easy to monitor. We see folks crossing the middle line all the time. Probably texting. A little scary but not usually a problem. Anyway I watched the oncoming truck cross way over the line. It was still pretty far away but I know I’m gonna have to take over. My car actually started turning to the curb to avoid the oncoming car. Before I could do anything. It was amazing and it was working. I took over immediately and the truck actually returned to their lane way before it would have t been a problem. In the time it took for me to realize the situation and react, the car was already taking evasive maneuver.