Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Wireless headphones

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ViperDoc

Roadster 1305
Jun 24, 2011
Vermont
I have the 2.5 Sport with the Alpine INA-NAV-10. I am trying to figure out how to hook up ear-buds so that I can hear the radio and not lose any more of my hearing than the convertible has already cost me. I know the bluetooth works for my cellphone; however, Alpine suggests I can't simply use a Bluetooth noise-canceling earbud and have it get the radio to my ears. I am not aware of any jacks in the NAV-10 (at least in the front) to hook up a set of wired earbuds to, but I would prefer a wireless solution anyway so that my daughter can also access the radio as a passenger with a wireless headset or earbuds.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

David

My solution for the wind/road noise is to use ear plugs. The plugs reduce all the noise, then I crank the volume up to where I want. It really works quite well. I only do this on the freeway so that I can still hear sirens in town. One small advantage of this method is that it is very inconspicuous, since both ears can't legally be covered/plugged while driving.

Plugs

My solution for the wind/road noise is to use ear plugs. The plugs reduce all the noise, then I crank the volume up to where I want. It really works quite well. I only do this on the freeway so that I can still hear sirens in town. One small advantage of this method is that it is very inconspicuous, since both ears can't legally be covered/plugged while driving.

Right—that is what I am doing now, but I have seen noise canceling bluetooth ear buds, and that got me wondering if there was a better way that involved ear buds. When I fly in Blackhawks and F-16s, we use earplugs with small speakers in them to keep the jet engine noise out but put a the radio chatter right where it needs to be. Those are wired of course, but I was hoping for a parallel solution.

I seem to recall from looking at the back of the INA-NAV-10 that there are line-level phono-plug outputs for an amplifier (the amplifier in the Roadster is connected to the speaker-level outputs of the INA-NAV-10, not the phono-plug outputs). While it would involve a little work, something like a GOgroove BlueSENSE TRM Bluetooth Audio GG-BLUESENSE-TRM B&H could be mounted in back of the radio receiver, obtaining 5 volts from the radio USB jack to keep it charged up, and a Bluetooth headset used.

Or, another solution I thought of but was never able to figure out how to implement is to install speakers in or adjacent to the seat headrests. A Pontiac Fiero roadster my wife owned long-ago had speakers in the seat headrests which made all the difference in listening to the radio with the top down. I was thinking of trying to find a way to mount speakers on each side of each Tesla seat headrest (sort of like some airplane headrests fold in) but never came up with a good way to do it.

Pontiac_Fiero_Headrest_Speakers.jpg

Pluts

I seem to recall from looking at the back of the INA-NAV-10 that there are line-level phono-plug outputs for an amplifier (the amplifier in the Roadster is connected to the speaker-level outputs of the INA-NAV-10, not the phono-plug outputs). While it would involve a little work, something like a GOgroove BlueSENSE TRM Bluetooth Audio GG-BLUESENSE-TRM B&H could be mounted in back of the radio receiver, obtaining 5 volts from the radio USB jack to keep it charged up, and a Bluetooth headset used.

Or, another solution I thought of but was never able to figure out how to implement is to install speakers in or adjacent to the seat headrests. A Pontiac Fiero roadster my wife owned long-ago had speakers in the seat headrests which made all the difference in listening to the radio with the top down. I was thinking of trying to find a way to mount speakers on each side of each Tesla seat headrest (sort of like some airplane headrests fold in) but never came up with a good way to do it.

Thanks, I will look into that!

DJ