Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless charger affect range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everything that uses electricity costs range. Now, whether that is significant or not is another question. Chargers consume a few watts, say 20w to have a ballpark. Charging your phone during a whole hour will consume 20Wh. Your battery contains a good 75kWh, or 75000Wh. Driving a mile might take 250wh, again as a ballpark. So, you would need to charge your phone during 12,5h to reduce your range by a mile. Your phone will be full way before that... so it's pretty much insignificant.

Yes, I know, the phone charger uses the 12V battery.... but that gets topped up by the big (high-voltage) battery so it's the same, roughly speaking.

EDIT: The sound system consumes more than that and I haven't seen anyone stop the music :p

• Funny
Reactions: alexcue and Zoomit
I’ve been wondering does the wireless charging that is built into the Tesla reduce your range when in use?
No. You can summarize this stuff pretty simply by what uses any noticeable amount of energy:

#1 (BY FAR) Moving the car. This includes the factors like your speed, wind resistance, towing, having a big unaerodynamic roof cargo box, etc.

#2 Heat. This can still be a very noticeable energy draw in Winter that you might need to be aware of and adjust for.

#3 Cooling. The A/C is something you can usually see a little difference in but is a lot less than heating and isn't usually significant enough that you need to make any adjustments for.

#88714 (That's a joke of how far down the ranking list it is) Wipers, headlights, stereo volume, LED screens, wireless phone charging, self driving cameras, etc. etc. Any or all of these things put together will never amount to any detectable energy usage compared to those three things listed above.

Nope, recently ran some numbers on this since I saw tesla was including battery charging in the range estimates now. the recent generation of iPhones have a 10-13 watt-hour battery iPhone battery capacities compared: all iPhones battery life in mAh and Wh
You probably wouldn’t, but assuming you’re going from empty to full that would cost you call it 15 wh of energy (with the wireless charger inefficiencies etc). Assuming you’re getting 350 watt hours per mile of efficiency then that 15 wh to charge the phone from 0-100 costs you 15/350 miles of range, or .04 miles, or 226 feet of range.

Yeah, I understand. I'm just being picky, because I like precision. Really, people must first look at your three first points. All the rest is (mostly) noise. I did the rough maths to help people understand but maybe it's too much details. The answer to "is it important for me to worry about that" is a definite no.

Reactions: atlchamp