Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers or wiper fluid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just picked up my new MY AWD last weekend. Trying to figure out quite a few things, but one of them is wipers. The wipers seem to work horribly with smudges all over the windshield, which is worsened by the fact that they have to be on Auto for TACC and they just NEVER stop going. This only amplifies the horrible performance as it just keeeps smuuuudging iiit agaaaain and agaaaain. Now it seems to me that there's no way the wipers could do such a bad job on their own without some help from horrible washer fluid. Unfortunately, the Tesla folks were nice enough to really top it off with whatever they put in there and I'm looking forward to running out so I can see if the situation gets better with different fluid. But I thought I would check here and see what the consensus is regarding wiper/fluid performance. Is my experience normal? Any ideas?

See the Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual before purchasing, adding washer fluid. Tesla recommends only using washer fluid that does not contain any additives for repelling rain or bug juice to avoid streaking. Basically, use whatever is sold as blue washer fluid in your area. (There is also nextzett 92100815 Kristall Klar Washer Fluid Concentrate that you mix with water. This washer fluid concentrate sold by BMW dealerships and is available on Amazon. The Kristall Klar washer fluid is supposed to be excellent.)

LPT: You can select and pin the windshield wiper control to the bottom of the screen from the tray of available functions.

LPT: You can use the Tesla voice commands to control the windshield wipers. Press the right scroll wheel and then say "Wipers On / Off / Auto"; "Wiper speed 1, 2, 3, or 4". Also, "Wipers Slower/Faster".

LPT: You can now use the left scroll wheel (press side of scroll wheel) to cycle through the windshield wiper settings Off, I, II, III. IV, Auto when the windshield wipers are active. (Off is sometimes the best option.)

Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

Last edited:
So I just picked up my new MY AWD last weekend. Trying to figure out quite a few things, but one of them is wipers. The wipers seem to work horribly with smudges all over the windshield, which is worsened by the fact that they have to be on Auto for TACC and they just NEVER stop going. This only amplifies the horrible performance as it just keeeps smuuuudging iiit agaaaain and agaaaain. Now it seems to me that there's no way the wipers could do such a bad job on their own without some help from horrible washer fluid. Unfortunately, the Tesla folks were nice enough to really top it off with whatever they put in there and I'm looking forward to running out so I can see if the situation gets better with different fluid. But I thought I would check here and see what the consensus is regarding wiper/fluid performance. Is my experience normal? Any ideas?

Windshield wipers aren't designed to clean windows, they are designed to remove the rain. If grease gets on the windshield, the wipers will do a great job of spreading it.

If the wipers keep running, they think that the window is dirty, clean it, especially in front of the enclosure top center of the window next to the rear-view camera, that's where it's looking and finding something dirty.

Yeah, even when the windshield is clean, if I run the washer fluid I ends up with streaks, which makes me think it's the fluid they used. Incidentally, this fluid it came with is INSANELY blue and it leaves stains on the side mirrors and driver's side window, which never seen washer fluid do before.

The real problem, when on TACC, seems to be this: 1) the camera thinks the windshield is dirty (who knows why? Drop of rain, buggy guts, something); 2) since TACC forces the wipers to auto, it runs the wipers and since it's dry, that does nothing but smear and smudge whatever is on the windshield and the wipers just keep running forever until I turn off cruise control; 3) now if I try using the washer fluid to fix the problem, things sort of get better, but it keeps running the wipers even once the windshield is dry enough that the best option is to stop and let the last little bit of washer fluid dry, but since it just keeps on wiping, it ends up creating new streaks; 4) your now suck in a vicious cycle and you basically have the 2 options of either dealing with the wipers running forever or turning off cruise control.

I did a little experiment last night while on a long drive and frustrated with the situation. I turned off cruise, ran the washers, let it wipe a couple of times, then turned the wipers off to let the last bit dry. Perfectly clear windshield. Then, and only then, did I turn cruise back on and the wipers (now in auto, because TACC was on) behaved themselves. For a while, at least, until a few drops of rain or some bug guts hit and then we played the game all over again.

I'm hoping different fluid will help and am also pinning some hope on the new autowiper v4 that's been talked about here.

Thanks @jcanoe for the tips above. I think I was already aware of all of them and they are helpful. But you can't use any of them with TACC on. And TACC with autosteer is one of my favorite things about this vehicle. So good. I just wish TACC ran on ultrasonic sensors which don't care about rain and don't need to get wipers involved. Then again, autosteer probably wouldn't with terribly well without clean cameras. All I know is my old Volvo did a pretty bang up job at finding the lane without having the windshield/camera perfectly clean.