Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires and Rims - Canadian Availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
R2 is clearly better in deep snow etc. It may not be best on ice or in winter dry conditions.

My R2's are amazing in snow, and stick to icy surfaces like glue. They seem okay on wet and dry too, but I really don't push my car hard so can't say definitively whether they are any better or worse than other winter tires in these conditions. I am primarily worried about snow/ice traction in the winter anyway, since this is where you can get into big trouble fast, so they are a good fit for me.

PIcked up my R2s today from Kal Tire, mounted on Rial Lugano's with Tesla TPMS. just filled out the mail in rebate for $70 as well.
Wait a few months and I'll need a thread on best all season tires... (I'm Albertan, I don't buy summer tires!)

Just as a side note, TireRack insists that the Rials don't work with OEM TPMS, however I had no problem doing just that.

Last edited:
I'll never buy anything from Kal Tires. But that's for personal reasons. I was riding down the street one day and some guy in a Kal Tire truck didn't look before opening his door and doored me. I got a concussion. I remember seeing the door opening, I don't remember hitting it. I don't remember hitting the ground. I do remember the sound of the crunch of my helmet as my head hit the pavement. I'm positive if I hadn't been wearing the helmet I'd be dead.

:frown:

I'll never buy anything from Kal Tires. But that's for personal reasons. I was riding down the street one day and some guy in a Kal Tire truck didn't look before opening his door and doored me. I got a concussion. I remember seeing the door opening, I don't remember hitting it. I don't remember hitting the ground. I do remember the sound of the crunch of my helmet as my head hit the pavement. I'm positive if I hadn't been wearing the helmet I'd be dead.

:frown:
Glad you're ok, and it's awful that someone did that. I understand your reluctance to deal with the company after that, however I would add that this is the act of one person, and not an act of the company itself. I'm not saying I would necessarily do differently in your situation, but I'd like to think I wouldn't hold the actions of one person against the entire company.

I think that blanket statement may not be fair. R2 is clearly better in deep snow etc. It may not be best on ice or in winter dry conditions.

Actually, the R2s are suppose to be more comparable to the Michelin as they are suppose to be more of an ice tire than a snow tire.
The Hakkapelitan 8 is the one who should be better in snow than ice with deeper/wider...and noisier grooves.
I just ordered the R2s for the Model S and still have Hakkapelitan 7s on my old Volvo, so we'll see how they compare this winter!

My R2's are amazing in snow, and stick to icy surfaces like glue. They seem okay on wet and dry too, but I really don't push my car hard so can't say definitively whether they are any better or worse than other winter tires in these conditions. I am primarily worried about snow/ice traction in the winter anyway, since this is where you can get into big trouble fast, so they are a good fit for me.

It would be fun to do a side-by-side comparison.

I was thinking specifically the XIce3. Comparing Hakkas to the stock Pirelli tires would be a like comparing kevlar to kleenex.
Well that made me chuckle!

On a more serious note, everywhere I've looked the XIce3 gets great reviews, and everywhere I look the Hakka R2 does just a hair better. Specifically the R2 is supposed to do better on slush, and have better latteral grip, they're also the lowest rolling resistance of any winter tire apparently.
That said, I have seen a few things saying that the Xice3 outperforms the R2 on dry pavement, but honestly, any tire will do acceptably on dry pavement, and I'm more worried about the ice and slush than the dry pavement.