Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires and Rims - Canadian Availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@hingisfan @mknox, the TPMS are way cheaper from Tesla than anywhere else. You only pay $200ish + tax. The error from the screen will be very annoying for half of the year!

I was under the impression the Tesla sensors weren't compatible with the luganos... I think it says this on tire rack. But I guess if you have done it they are. I'll see how it goes this winter, I really like the fobo solution to see exact pressure on my phone anytime. A piece of black tape for the winter may be in order.

Currently shopping for the Michelin Xi-3 PMC tire seems to be the best place right now. Price is 1323 taxes included. How much should it cost me to install and switch rims balance etc etc etc? Because every other store is quoting me for around 1650$ taxes included so I dont think it should cost me 300$ to balance install switch rims RIGHTTT???

Currently shopping for the Michelin Xi-3 PMC tire seems to be the best place right now. Price is 1323 taxes included. How much should it cost me to install and switch rims balance etc etc etc? Because every other store is quoting me for around 1650$ taxes included so I dont think it should cost me 300$ to balance install switch rims RIGHTTT???

Should be around $25-$30 per tire I think.

Hi all, this is my first post after lurking in the forum for a few weeks.

This is the first winter with my S60 and I've settled on the Michelin Xi3's and the standard Tesla 19in rims and TPMS. All in it'll be about $3300 after tax. The Lawrence store doesn't seem to have a problem with mounting the tires if I provide them when I purchase the rims but did suggest booking an appointment several weeks beforehand.

The Rial Lugano's do look good but the shipping and exchange rate made them a no-go for me. Maybe for spring :)

In Vancouver, at both reputable places that I went, when I took in tires, rims and TPMS, they installed and balanced for about $250. Less if no TPMS. Now that I have two sets of tires/rims/tpms, it will be $10 per tire for my quick seasonal swap.

I ordered Nokian Hakka R2 tires (ultra low rolling resistance, by the way) locally from Kal Tire and had them do the tire mounting and balancing. I do the seasonal changeover myself in my garage.
I'm looking at Kal Tire's website, and I see nothing about the R2s being low rolling resistance, The X-Ice tires are, but nothing on the R2s, where did you find that info? (I also note that the Kal Tire online tool refuses to pair the R2s with a Tesla, but I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem.)

I ask because I've had great luck with Hakkas on both my current vehicles, and would love to stay with them, but I know range and such are impacted already in the cold, so the low rolling resistance to extend range sounds like a good plan.

I'm looking at Kal Tire's website, and I see nothing about the R2s being low rolling resistance, The X-Ice tires are, but nothing on the R2s, where did you find that info? (I also note that the Kal Tire online tool refuses to pair the R2s with a Tesla, but I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem.)

See info on Nokian's site. They claim to be the world's most energy efficient winter tire.

Last edited by a moderator:
See info on Nokian's site. They claim to be the world's most energy efficient winter tire.
I saw that. All their articles seem to comment on a specific tire made for the BMW i3... to the point that I'm left wondering if that specific tire is slightly different from the rest. Do you read the information to confirm that ALL the R2 tire sizes meet the A energy rating?

I'll probably buy them regardless, since I've used various Hakkapeliitta tires for years and years and liked all of them. But the energy rating is more relevant with the Tesla!

I saw that. All their articles seem to comment on a specific tire made for the BMW i3... to the point that I'm left wondering if that specific tire is slightly different from the rest. Do you read the information to confirm that ALL the R2 tire sizes meet the A energy rating?

I do. I believe that all of the Hakka R2 tires fall into that energy rating. I'm pretty sure they were saying that when I bought them... and that was before the i3 came out.

On previous cars, I could tell immediately when I put my winters on as I would see an immediate (slight) drop in my mileage. Just as with my Model S, I used to track and log my ICE car's fuel efficiency religiously. When I switched over to the Hakkas from my (at the time) stock Goodyears, there was absolutely no change in my Model S's efficiency at all. Of course as the temps dropped and the snow came, it got worse, but that has nothing to do with the tires.

When I switched over to the Hakkas from my (at the time) stock Goodyears, there was absolutely no change in my Model S's efficiency at all. Of course as the temps dropped and the snow came, it got worse, but that has nothing to do with the tires.
Excellent! That's the real world experience I wanted to hear... I'll go order a set this afternoon so as to be sure to have them when the snow flies! :smile:

I'll probably buy them regardless, since I've used various Hakkapeliitta tires for years and years and liked all of them. But the energy rating is more relevant with the Tesla!

I don't know about the A rating but I picked up my R2s this morning and on the sidewall, you can read : "Very Low Rolling Resistance". These are very nice tires btw, can't wait to put them to the test!

I can't believe you just said you can't wait for the winter :-D

Yes sir! I never tried my car in real winter conditions. I had very cold trips (-25C) and some light snow but since I got it in March, the worst was behind me.

It makes for nice pictures :

Dirty85D.jpg

mknox said:
When I switched over to the Hakkas from my (at the time) stock Goodyears, there was absolutely no change in my Model S's efficiency at all. Of course as the temps dropped and the snow came, it got worse, but that has nothing to do with the tires.

Excellent! That's the real world experience I wanted to hear... I'll go order a set this afternoon so as to be sure to have them when the snow flies! :smile:
I got quoted $320/tire, plus mount/balance for another $22 a corner. Taxes on top of all that. Seem about right for 245/45-19's? The low-ish profile sure jumps the price... 50% more than the 65 profile I had on the Benz!

I got quoted $320/tire, plus mount/balance for another $22 a corner. Taxes on top of all that. Seem about right for 245/45-19's? The low-ish profile sure jumps the price... 50% more than the 65 profile I had on the Benz!

Yep, seems about right. The Touchette group is the distributor for Nokian in Quebec and they quoted me $330 including mount/balance for each side. Was able to get a better deal with a local Ford dealership (got a friend who works there) and ended up saving around $100 altogether and it seems the margin at $330 a tire, installed, was already pretty low.

Perfect, Thanks!

Now I just need to get ahold of a set of 19" wheels without giving up my first born.... (Not a fan of our current exchange rate!!)
My plan is to use my stock wheels (the most basic ones they sell) for the winter and find some better looking 19's for the spring... and put my used Primacy's on them at that time. However, when I first investigated the costing of Tesla wheels, I didn't think the ones they had at the Powell Street service center (Vancouver) were that over the top price-wise. You might give them a call to get the real numbers, because I didn't file them in my head...

My plan is to use my stock wheels (the most basic ones they sell) for the winter and find some better looking 19's for the spring... and put my used Primacy's on them at that time. However, when I first investigated the costing of Tesla wheels, I didn't think the ones they had at the Powell Street service center (Vancouver) were that over the top price-wise. You might give them a call to get the real numbers, because I didn't file them in my head...
Just ordered my car, it's an inventory car that comes with 21s, I would prefer 19s, so I don't have any existing 19s. The wheels are apparently $319 each from Tesla, but the Rial Luganos look much better and are only $189 each. Unfortunately by the time you convert currency, and ship them, they come out at about $375 each. (TSTs are over $400 each US plus shipping!)