Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

winter tire mounted on 18 inch aero wheels or aftermarket wheel? What is more common and better?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I am getting SR+ model 3 that comes with all season tires mounted on 18 inch aero wheels. Expected to deliver in Jan when there is alot of snow in my area.

I plan to get hakkapeliitta r3 winter tires for winter driving ASAP when car is delivered. I am also planning to get a 18 inch aftermarket wheels.

My question is...
should I swap out the all season tires (that comes with the car) and mount winter tires on 18 inch aero wheels, and mount all season tires on aftermarket wheel?
or
Should I keep the all season tire mounted on 18 inch aero wheel, and just mount the winter tires on the aftermarket wheel?

What is more common and better solution?
I plan to get this afternmarket wheel
https://www.replika.ca/productinfo.aspx?wn=r241&fn=satin+black

Thank you.

You will be driving on the all season more. Mount the all season on the wheel that fits your driving priority. For efficiency, it will be stock aero with cover on. Stock 18 without the aero cover goods decent, but there are lots of 3 running around with that look. For looks, it is the Replika.

I put snows on the ugly aero wheels and will pick up something nicer when it's time to mount the summers. Check out Toto Tire locally, they did a nice job.

Ditto. Put the snows on ugly aero. Get back the most efficiency/range in winter where it’s needed most.

I personally bought 19” OEM wheels (which I love) for summer with Pirelli P7+ tires and was shocked it was as efficient as Aeros, with covers and Primacy tires. It was win win win all around.

Primacy are the lowest rated tire that fits Model 3 on Tirerack. Noisy, low tread life and really not all that efficient.

^^^. I did the same as these guys. Got out LR AWD last year end of Sept. had Tesla deliver the car to my tire shop and got Nokian Hakka 9’s mounted to the aero wheels before we drove it home. Then in the spring mounted the OEM MXM4’s to some nice <19 lb ENKEI from tire rack for summer.