Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter is Coming - Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently installed a set of the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D on my P85+ and I'm super happy with the tires. I know there are not as capable with the R2 or XI3 but I don't encounter a ton of snow on a daily basis. I'm in the Seattle and Vancouver, BC area.

Compared to my stock 21" PS2, I noticed that the car is a lot more sure footed in slippery conditions. I don't notice any floaty feeling from the front and great grip under heavy acceleration. The tires are quiet in dry highway conditions. If anything, the surprising thing is that the ride comfort didn't improve a much when switching to the Dunlop 19s - might say something about the ride quality profile of the Dunlop winters.

Overall, very happy with the tires and would highly recommend these for people who don't face a lot of snow on a daily basis.

Maybe my first link was too well hidden in my previous post so I will give it again less hidden this time. Go to pmctire.com using the following link (http://winter-tires.pmctire.com/enw/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r2-245-45r19-102r-xl.tire) ... they ship for free to Quebec and Ontario.

I just got a response from PMC:

Our providers did plan on so many orders in that size of tires in Nokian. None are left in Canada that we have access to.

We are looking into make a grouped purchase from the states for a couple of customers we have listed.

It should take 1-2 weeks to organize all of this to get products here ready to ship.

For any of those folks looking to get on these tires and waited too late like me, feel free to contact them to be added to the list.

I recently installed a set of the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D on my P85+ and I'm super happy with the tires. I know there are not as capable with the R2 or XI3 but I don't encounter a ton of snow on a daily basis. I'm in the Seattle and Vancouver, BC area.

I am also currently using these on my Audi. I don't know whether it is due to the tires or the car itself (Quattro, lightweight, small size) but, in all but extreme conditions, I can drive almost like it was summer. Very happy with them, considering they were an OEM choice.

I just ordered the Rial Lugano's with the Michelin X-Ice 3 from Tire Rack. I'm going to Niagara Falls, NY for a hockey tournament on the Black Friday weekend so I can pick them up with no duty or tax. With the TPMS included it was a bit under $2200. The CSR I spoke to said there are tons of Tesla owners getting these wheels due to the similarity to the 21" Turbines. He also said that the Michelin tire is the best performing option for our car and that he has been sending a bunch to Norway Model S owners.

S85 | MC Red | Tan Interior | Tech (w/ Pwr Mirror) | Pano | Sensors | Twin Charger | 19" Primacy | Subzero Weather Package
Deposit 9/22 | Confirm 9/25 | VIN 10/8 - 25679 | Production 11/01 | Projected Delivery 12/06

I just ordered the Rial Lugano's with the Michelin X-Ice 3 from Tire Rack. I'm going to Niagara Falls, NY for a hockey tournament on the Black Friday weekend so I can pick them up with no duty or tax. With the TPMS included it was a bit under $2200. The CSR I spoke to said there are tons of Tesla owners getting these wheels due to the similarity to the 21" Turbines. He also said that the Michelin tire is the best performing option for our car and that he has been sending a bunch to Norway Model S owners.

I got the same :) Gun Metal. But I am getting it sent here.

S85 | MC Red | Tan Interior | Tech (w/ Pwr Mirror) | Pano | Sensors | Twin Charger | 19" Primacy | Subzero Weather Package
Deposit 9/22 | Confirm 9/25 | VIN 10/8 - 25679 | Production 11/01 | Projected Delivery 12/06

Glad to hear him say that about the Michelins as they're getting mounted on my spare wheels as I type this. Won't mount them on the car itself until Dec 1 (unless we get some freak weather).

Great tips. Has anyone tried to obtain the wheel centre piece for aftermarket wheels? Do you get it from the local SC? Do they fit all wheels or just certain types? I too am in the market to get a set of winters and don't like what the SC is offering in terms of looks (Aero) or price. Thanks for the help.

I went ahead and ordered a set from TireRack based on the recommendations here. The total inclusive of delivery and taxes to Toronto came to $3,096. This is for a set of Rial Lugano's with Michelin X-Ice3. I was told by the CSR that the sensors will have to be initialized by Tesla. I know that our local SC won't mount third party wheels and tires. Has anyone had any experience with getting the sensors initialized? At the SC or otherwise?

I haven't had it done yet but my DS said the SC would do it for free in a few minutes.

Deposit 9/22 | Confirm 9/25 | VIN 10/8 - 25679 | Production ??/?? | Projected Delivery 12/06 | Actual Delivery ??/??

Just installed my TireRack ordered Rials w Michelin X-Ice and TP sensors. Strange but I didn't have to get a reset done by Tesla. No error messages or anything. Been driving around now for two days. Very grippy tires with the Michelins. The PS2s we're turning into hockey pucks with the temperatures dropping. Looking forward to seeing what they can do once the snow starts to fly.

Yes, I have the update. I got it towards the end of last winter, after the really cold weather was over. It did seem to help but we didn't have extreme conditions after that.

You probably get dryer weather in Saskatchewan than we do here. The frosting problem was particularly bad in extreme cold and high humidity. We'll know for real how well it works sometime in late December or early January.

The weather is typically drier here than in most places, but so far this year has been an exception. We've already had about 10" of snow and the temperature is still barely below zero, resulting in a wet, sloppy, slushy mess. Very reminiscent of the years I spent in the Maritimes, actually. Definitely would need that upgraded defroster. Though it seems to be standard on new cars now (at least my Vancouver test car had it)

I went ahead and ordered a set from TireRack based on the recommendations here. The total inclusive of delivery and taxes to Toronto came to $3,096. This is for a set of Rial Lugano's with Michelin X-Ice3. I was told by the CSR that the sensors will have to be initialized by Tesla. I know that our local SC won't mount third party wheels and tires. Has anyone had any experience with getting the sensors initialized? At the SC or otherwise?

The later firmware update will allow you to reset the TPMS on the center screen and not have to go to the SC.