Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield mounted radar detector in refreshed Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone had posted on the other Tesla forum that refreshed cars 2016 and newer no longer had the coating that block radar detector. In my 2014 I tried it everywhere around the rearview mirror to get it, or a garage pass to work and couldn't. I would sure hope this is true. Has anyone tried a detector or I presume toll pass in a newer car with success?

Thanks.

• Informative
Reactions: benjiejr
I can give my opinion on this. I had a 9500ix that I felt was not working properly in the tesla. It was 7 years old so I thought maybe the sensor was going bad. I upgraded to the passport max 2. Range has been great! I made a custom visor clip and put it on the passenger visor.

I agree that my V1 seems to work just fine in my AP2 Model S (made late October 2016).

I found a local roadside sign, with K band on it. It was nice in that I could park and test. It was unscientific (just using audio alerts and visual alerts) but I was unable to detect a difference between the V1 mounted inside the Model S and holding it outside the window.

Ok. I tried this the last couple of,days. I will likewise have to find a eminating road sign, my perception was that using my V1 the signal worked but seemed degraded only picking up police around a 1/4 mile out where I was almost literally on them.

I have a Beltronics STI Magnum in a refresh Model S (10/2016) with AP2. The radar detector is mounted just to the right of the mirror and I see no degradation of sensitivity compared to my prior vehicle. There is a low signal false alert that occurs regularly on my way to work. This occurs at the exact same location in the Tesla as it has always occurred in my prior car. I have noticed no difference in sensitivity.

Ok. I tried this the last couple of,days. I will likewise have to find a eminating road sign, my perception was that using my V1 the signal worked but seemed degraded only picking up police around a 1/4 mile out where I was almost literally on them.
Park next to a K-band supermarket door opener. Not signal strength while on the windshield, then stick the V1 out the window (use the coiled up wire if you need to) and compare signal strength. my 2013 had a good size metalized coating exclusion next to the mirror, 2015 exclusion is tiny, barely enough for a rfid toll sticker, 2017 seems to not have any coating that reduces RD. See this post for more info (I included a picture of how to tell where your coating on the windshield is, if you have it).

Using my 9500xi with 6-2016 refresh AP1. May have reduced range but still plenty sensitivity and early warning.

Same with a Bel Pro 500 windshield mount. Worked fine in a late-2014 S, although certainly more sensitive aft than forward, and in the post-refresh (Spring 2017) S, it’s almost too sensitive forward by comparison.

Not complaining however. During a quick trip last week to Avila Beach/SLO, CHP had a tendency to hide just past the apex of hilly curves with their radar pointed aft. I appreciated the extra warning.

• Helpful
Reactions: Pinegreen