Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Gunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was a hot one today so I immediately rolled down my windows when I got in my car. When I got home and rolled them up again, this is what greeted me on my passenger side.

Car2.jpg
Car3.jpg

I'm not sure exactly what that is, but I'm sure it'll take me plenty of time to clean off. Has anyone experienced this?

I've been getting this since the day i picked my car up, though not nearly as much. Just get a few lines every time the window goes down and up.

I have an appointment with service to get it taken care of next week.

Supposedly it's some kind of sealer they use between the 'outside' section of the door and the inside, to keep water out.

(not so) funny, i just had this happen yesterday. i've only had my MS for a few weeks and there's been no issues of any kind until now. upon rolling up the window yesterday we found very much the same as shown in the photo above. the stuff is so sticky i was able to pull some off then use it to grab most of the rest of it up. there is still some on the lower part of the glass, and the seal seems to be pulled down from the normal position. it is going in for service next week. kudos to Tesla for the quick response to my email reporting the issue!

I haven't had this. But a suggestion for cleaning: take a can of typical compressed air, a brand new razor blade and a rag. Spray the can of air upside down to bring out the cold propellant, Chill the area and scrap right off.

My concern, much more than the glass, is the exterior gasket at the bottom of the window. That should be replaced, for sure.

I have had this for a while. It is not water soluable. A LITTLE bit of gasoline or spirits, WD-40 etc. will make this come off a lot easier. It came back in a much much smaller amount this summer ( small smudges) and is a quick clean up.

I just noticed this on my 85D. Rubbing alcohol takes it off pretty well. I talked to the SC and they seemed to be aware of it. Said they used to see it a while ago, then not, and lately they have seen 3 cases. It's going in to get taken care of.