Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind Noise new MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just returned from a 2K mile road trip in our new MYP (delivered Aug 25th) and it has far more wind noise than our 2020. It's primarily on the passenger side. It sounds like it's coming from the glass roof over her right ear or the upper part of the windshield area. It could be the door glass but who can tell with wind noise, all I know is it bothered my wife enough that she complained about it.

I'm going to buy one of those noise reduction rubber bands they sell and see if that doesn't solve it but if it doesn't how receptive are Service Centers to hunting down and fixing "wind noises"?

We had the same issue initially in our July 22’ MYP. Sitting inside, If you shine a flash light at the passenger lower right section of the windshield…where the windshield touches the side A pillar and the front dash; you’ll likely see an open area where you can literally make out the inside paint of the front hood. I first discovered it by accident parked with the sun shining at a specific angle. When I probed further it was quite amazing to see such an open gap unsealed. We took it in for service and they provided a seal inside and behind. It worked.

Shoddy manufacturing in my view.

We had the same issue initially in our July 22’ MYP. Sitting inside, If you shine a flash light at the passenger lower right section of the windshield…where the windshield touches the side A pillar and the front dash; you’ll likely see an open area where you can literally make out the inside paint of the front hood....
I may need a wee bit more context. I have a very bright LED light and I could see not "body colored paint" at the base of the windshield where the dash meets the windshield. Am I looking in the right spot?

If I find the right position I can see down into that corner and can see “red paint”. So what was the fix? Do they have to remove the windshield and reseal it?

My neighbor has an Austin built Y and I will compare my Fremont car to his? Thanks for the info.

If I find the right position I can see down into that corner and can see “red paint”. So what was the fix? Do they have to remove the windshield and reseal it?

My neighbor has an Austin built Y and I will compare my Fremont car to his? Thanks for the info.
I think you found the area. They added some black foam insulation in that area. Not sure how they did it but they did.

I think you found the area. They added some black foam insulation in that area. Not sure how they did it but they did.
I looked at my neighbors Austin Y and sure enough there is some black material in that area and I CAN’T see the windshield or the painted body pieces through the glass. How frustrating that I now need to schedule another service appt.

and I found this old thread:

I looked at my neighbors Austin Y and sure enough there is some black material in that area and I CAN’T see the windshield or the painted body pieces through the glass. How frustrating that I now need to schedule another service appt.

Fremont quality is crap

I hope it works for you as it did for me. :)

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Fremont quality is crap
Fremont’s output currently greatly exceeds Austin’s. Therefore it is more likely for a complaint in this forum for a car sold in USA to be about a car made in Fremont. As production ramps down at Fremont for model Y & 3) and ramps up at Austin, people will jump to conclusions and state that Austin has crappy build quality & Fremont seems better.

Not too long ago you had a different view of the Fremont factory & yes people can change their minds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Destiny1701
Fremont’s output currently greatly exceeds Austin’s. Therefore it is more likely for a complaint in this forum for a car sold in USA to be about a car made in Fremont. As production ramps down at Fremont for model Y & 3) and ramps up at Austin, people will jump to conclusions and state that Austin has crappy build quality & Fremont seems better.

Not too long ago you had a different view of the Fremont factory & yes people can change their minds.
Combing through my old posts to try to make your case is creepy and weird. The quality on my 2018 was terrible compared to what is coming out of other factories. If you want the Tesla experience you just have to accept it.

UPDATE (sort of): When I was at my local Service Center having a faulty TPMS replaced last week I asked the desk guys how they address "wind noise" his answer was to schedule an appointment, then a tech with a dB meter will take a ride with the owner and determine if there is a problem or not. Given it's only really noticeable when traveling over 60 mph (highway trips) I'm not in a hurry to make that 80-mile r/t to the SC so soon.

We had the same issue initially in our July 22’ MYP. Sitting inside, If you shine a flash light at the passenger lower right section of the windshield…where the windshield touches the side A pillar and the front dash; you’ll likely see an open area where you can literally make out the inside paint of the front hood. I first discovered it by accident parked with the sun shining at a specific angle. When I probed further it was quite amazing to see such an open gap unsealed. We took it in for service and they provided a seal inside and behind. It worked.

Shoddy manufacturing in my view.

Every Model Y I have ever looked at has the smallish long rectangular open gap in that same location. You can even stick a somewhat thin long object (like a pipe cleaner) down through it from the outside. I don't have any idea where the water goes when it rains down through the hole; I just hope it isn't into the interior of the car. And that gap is there in every car. Austin and Freemont. When I asked the SA about it, he just shrugged as if he had never seen the gap before. He has worked as a Tesla salesman for 6 years. My guess is that yes, he has been asked before about this.

Every Model Y I have ever looked at has the smallish long rectangular open gap in that same location. You can even stick a somewhat thin long object (like a pipe cleaner) down through it from the outside. I don't have any idea where the water goes when it rains down through the hole; I just hope it isn't into the interior of the car. And that gap is there in every car. Austin and Freemont. When I asked the SA about it, he just shrugged as if he had never seen the gap before. He has worked as a Tesla salesman for 6 years. My guess is that yes, he has been asked before about this.
Probably a design flaw that has not been addressed 🤷🏽‍♂️

OK, that gap might not be in every singe Y, but from 2020 to 2023, those that I've seen all have it. Just amazing how glaring it is when you know where to look. At the Naperville location the other day, I spotted 3 2023 models (had the new 5K cameras) -- all had the same gap. FlexSeal for the win?

Reactions: Destiny1701
432ABB31-3403-43C0-943E-DC3D2EE68F6C.jpeg

New wind noise began after the Service Center replaced my Top Glass and adjusted body seal. My intuition was something was off. Took my MYLR back and of course the service lead said crosswind is normal.

Come to find out the passenger window does not fully close, therefore cresting this gap. No wonder here is excessive wind bodies that sounds like bursts of static.

I have a Mobile Service appointment Friday hoping they’ll adjust the window to seal correctly.