Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind Turbulence where Windshield Meets Roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New 2024 MY LR (received Feb 17, 2024). I have just over 800 miles on it and I've noticed some excessive wind nose at the Top/Right corner of the windshield (as if you're sitting in the driver's seat. This would be where an "oil change sticker" would normally go :). To me, it sounds like the glass panes are not lined up correctly and it's causing some type of disruption of the laminar flow from the windshield to the roof. I haven't had a passenger (or been a passenger) to check out the other side yet.

I'm attaching a few photos to let the community see what I'm looking at. Curious to see if this is normal alignment or not. I also have a 2023 Model 3 RWD. The glass-to-roof transition is much smoother and I don't hear the same noise.

What's interesting to me is on the Model 3, the windshield is lower than the roof, and on the Model Y the windshield is significantly higher than the roof. It's like the bottom of the windshield glass aligns with the top of the roof glass.

IMG_1603.HEIC_compressed.JPEG
IMG_1604.HEIC_compressed.JPEG
IMG_1605.HEIC_compressed.JPEG

Model 3: IMG_1608.HEIC_compressed.JPEGIMG_1609.HEIC_compressed.JPEG

Attachments

• IMG_1607.HEIC_compressed.JPEG
    IMG_1607.HEIC_compressed.JPEG
    420.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1601.HEIC_compressed.JPEG
    IMG_1601.HEIC_compressed.JPEG
    410 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I would put some painters, tape all along the pillar on both passenger side and driver side, and then another piece of painters, tape across the top where the windshield meets the roof. That way you can determine exactly where the noise is coming from. You can pull off one strip at a time to see if that is the problem.

Reactions: agent2x0r