Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla Semi be affected if Tesla becomes unionized?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently the average auto worker with seniority costs about $120,000 annually in total compensation. This includes overtime and all benefits, including health care and retirement.

"So what do United Auto Workers members make? A blog post in August on UAW contracts by Kristin Dziczek, a policy adviser at the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, put the top hourly production wage for UAW members at $32 an hour. It also put estimated hourly labor costs for the Detroit Three automakers for those workers, including benefits and bonuses, at an estimated $66 per hour this year."

$66/per hour x 40 hrs = $2,640.00 x 52 weeks = $137,280.00

Elon works for Tesla for $1 year. He knows that his true worth to the company will be determined by how well the stock does. He works harder and more hours than any other employee, and is perhaps the one person most responsible for Tesla's success world wide.

This isn't Elon Musk although it is the the company he is CEO of, Tesla, but it doesn't matter to the UAW and its membership it represents corporate greed to them and you know they read this or are aware of it through the daily gossip at work:

Tesla’s board will return $735 million in stock and cash to settle claims directors were grossly overpaid​

Tesla Inc. directors, including Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk, agreed to return more than $735 million in stock awards and cash to settle an investor lawsuit accusing board members of improperly giving themselves massive compensation packages.
The directors — including Oracle Corp. founder Larry Ellison; James Murdoch, son of media mogul Rupert Murdoch; and Musk’s brother, Kimbal Musk — agreed to hand over the stock grants and cash for already exercised options, along with making corporate-governance changes to the way board-level compensation issues are reviewed, according to court filings.
Link here: Tesla board will return $735m in stock to settle claims directors overpaid

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
Woo new members = Tesla employees?

Bloomberg: UAW Aims For At Least 30% Wage Bump to Woo New Members​

• Union initially said it wanted a 40% pay raise from carmakers
  • Increase takes into account a cost-of-living allowance
The United Auto Workers union wants to emerge from its strike against Detroit’s three major automakers with at least a 30% pay raise, according to people familiar with the matter.
That’s the level — which is lower than the around 40% hike it initially proposed to Ford Motor Co., General Motors Co. and Stellantis NV — that the union believes will allow it to satisfy existing members and organize non-union plants. It takes into account a cost-of-living allowance, or COLA, and a general wage increase, according to the people, who asked not to be named because the talks are private.

Link: UAW Aims For At Least 30% Wage Bump to Woo New Members

Musk May Face Someone Else Who’s Ready for a Cage Fight

Unionizing Tesla is an existential imperative for the UAW’s Shawn Fain, who shares the billionaire founder’s taste for hyperbole and confrontation.

Denied the dubious spectacle of a cage match between Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg, the world may yet be treated to a contest pitting the Tesla chief executive against an underdog from Indiana. Shawn Fain, leader of the United Auto Workers, shares Musk’s taste for hyperbole and confrontation. More importantly, he feels not just the crowd supporting him but also, as it were, the steel of the cage at his back.

The UAW’s strike is a money-loser for the Big Three Detroit automakers, both in terms of lost production while it goes on and the likely higher labor costs that will result. On that view, it can only be a plus for Tesla Inc., whose US plants aren’t unionized and pay workers lower wages.

Link(behind paywall): Unionizing Tesla Is an Enticing Target for the UAW-Bloomberg

Get the feeling that the Union is using their members as pawns to get huge concessions from manufacturers. Will use this higher pay to convert more non- union shops to Union.
While workers will get better pay/benefits, the real reason for the strike is to increase Union membership...more $ for the union management.

Last edited:

CNBC: UAW has Tesla, Toyota in its sights after contract wins at Detroit automakers

Link: UAW has Tesla, Toyota in its sights after contract wins at Detroit automakers

Just curious. Let's say the UAW wins over Tesla Fremont plant workers and is unionized. Does this automatically make Gigafactory Nevada, Gigafactory New York and Gigafactory Texas unionized and represented by UAW or is it a plant to plant vote?

The reason I ask is it would seem odd to have say Fremont unionized and the other U.S. plants non-union but I suppose it could happen. I am somewhat familiar with unions but not when it comes to organizing non-union plants and the details on how it all works.

Maybe all the UAW needs is their foot in the door(Fremont) to help unionize the other plants?

Just curious. Let's say the UAW wins over Tesla Fremont plant workers and is unionized. Does this automatically make Gigafactory Nevada, Gigafactory New York and Gigafactory Texas unionized and represented by UAW or is it a plant to plant vote?

The reason I ask is it would seem odd to have say Fremont unionized and the other U.S. plants non-union but I suppose it could happen. I am somewhat familiar with unions but not when it comes to organizing non-union plants and the details on how it all works.

Maybe all the UAW needs is their foot in the door(Fremont) to help unionize the other plants?
If they want to unionize all of Tesla, they would have to have a vote across all of its locations. My understanding is it's harder to win like that, so new drives to unionize mostly occur at individual locations. Eventually there may be multiple locations that have voted to belong to a particular union. This is how it is happening at Starbucks where unions are trying to win votes at individual retail locations.

Reactions: TSemi
This is how it is happening at Starbucks where unions are trying to win votes at individual retail locations.
Good point I had forgotten about Starbucks unionizing efforts. I followed this for a time and you are right not all locations were unionized but I haven't kept up with it for the last 2 yrs so not sure the status of how many Starbucks have unionized.

Good point I had forgotten about Starbucks unionizing efforts. I followed this for a time and you are right not all locations were unionized but I haven't kept up with it for the last 2 yrs so not sure the status of how many Starbucks have unionized.
The Starbucks union website says 360+ stores with 9000 employees so far. Although it is a slow slog, that's a lot of progress from when that first store in Buffalo unionized a couple of years ago.

Teslarati: Tesla workers hard-pressed to join union despite UAW efforts: report

Employees at Tesla’s Fremont factory appear to have mixed opinions about the United Auto Workers (UAW) union’s efforts to organize the facility. The UAW, after securing deals from the Detroit Big Three, is now setting its eyes on non-union automakers like Tesla.

But while the UAW’s presence may be felt in Tesla, some workers who spoke on the condition of anonymity informed Insider that they would not want to work in a unionized factory. This, one employee noted, was due to the company’s startup culture.
Link:
Tesla workers hard-pressed to join union despite UAW efforts: report

Fortune: ‘We can beat anybody’: Autoworkers’ union puts anti-union Elon Musk and Tesla in its sights after prevailing against Detroit’s Big 3

Riding high on historic contract wins against Detroit’s automakers, United Auto Workers President Shawn Fain is confident he can take on Tesla and its anti-union Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk.

“We can beat anybody,” Fain said in an interview on Thursday with Bloomberg News. “It’s gonna come down to the people that work for him deciding if they want their fair share… or if they want him to fly himself to outer space at their expense,” he said. “I believe it’s doable.”

Link: 'We can beat anybody': Autoworkers' union puts anti-union Elon Musk and Tesla in its sights after prevailing against Detroit's Big 3

From what I have been reading about the UAW and Tesla-Elon Musk the media are wanting to see an MMA-style matchup/fight between them. They really seem to be egging it on. It's quite amazing to behold.

Don't believe me? Get this from Wall Street Journal:

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 8.28.23 AM.png