Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla make the "by the end of January 2015" promise for torque sleep? (P85D)

Will Tesla make the "by the end of January 2015" promise for torque sleep? (P85D)

• Yes, as promised

Votes: 33 27.0%
  • Nope, will be late

Votes: 89 73.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The difference is notable in really cold weather, but mostly in usage. What it does (range mode) is not heat the pack above absolute crucial need and it limits the cabin heater power draw. The upside is that your power usage is quite decent even in cold weather driving and in most cases the HVAC works fine enough that it's not really an issue, but that is not always the case. Now the downside is that if you start the car cold you'll be limited on power and regen for quite a while. Due to no pack heating the regen limiter disappears REALLY SLOWLY. It may take hundred or more km to get fully rid of it if it's cold outside. While with the standard mode you're likely to have a cozy pack after 20-30km already after which usage normalizes, however those 20-30km don't be surprised to see 50-100% more usage due to pack heating.

And now I seriously doubt it degrades the battery as the pack is still maintained by the car, just not excessively. So if it's -20C outside it'll not try to get the pack to +15C, but more keep it above -10C or so, that's quite a large difference in power consumption (disclaimer: no actual facts on the temperatures, but that's about what I've surmised from hundreds of forum posts over the years).

Mario!! It's good to see you back around old friend. Are you still making wormholes and black holes at CERN? :)

Mod Note: now that .139 is confirmed by Tesla as having the torque vectoring that D owners have been waiting for this discussion should now go into "Thread Sleep" mode. Please let's have further discussion on range and performance in the following thread:

P85D-range-and-highway-battery-performance

Of course, firmware version discussions and further updates (if any) should now be in the following thread (until there's another major release):

Firmware-6-1

That should help with folks being able to best participate in, and follow, discussions. Thanks.

Will Tesla make the "by the end of January 2015" promise for torque sleep? (P...

I guess people can put the pitchforks down now.:)

Tesla usually follows thorough but a little behind their own stated deadline.

If p85d owners have not learned to have a little trust from this episode I'm disappointed. Let's not start spinning about seats or anything else.

If TM hasn't learned to create industry standard firmware release notes and overall better communication of functionality releases across the lines of communication, Id be just as disappointed. Lets not completely put this on the onus of the customer.

If p85d owners have not learned to have a little trust from this episode I'm disappointed. Let's not start spinning about seats or anything else.
So your summary is "owners are headless chicken, Tesla did things right, hopefully the owners learned their lesson".
My summary is "Tesla messed up, tried to fix it, ran late, messed up communicating the fix, but based on what we are guessing and deducing so far it seems that for most people the issue seems to be mostly fixed; hopefully Tesla learned from the mess and does a better job communicating where it stands relative to public promises and statements of capabilities on their website."

PotAIto, PotAHto.