Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will SR AWD ever be available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So why do you think there is no SR AWD option to date?

Since Model Y has even less range, a SR AWD option is even less likely.
Only the LR battery has the cabling and design to power 2 motors. The SR battery does not. The rear motor is far more efficient than the front motor. If 50kw can go 240 miles and 75kw goes 310 miles, then what would a 50kw dual motor do? 140 miles? Tesla makes profit on its higher end Model 3’s and is closer to break even or maybe a loss on the lower trim. Tesla needs to sell profitable upgrades to subsidize the SR buyers who get their cars in black. But, it’s Tesla. They could change all the prices and configurations tomorrow.

My LR AWD does 240-260 miles on a charge at highway speeds (75 MPH roads). That is about 20% less than the EPA. So a SR would end up doing 180-200 miles.

That is of course if you charge up to 100%... 175ish likely if you only do 90%.

It would still be OK for around town driving, but it would be hard doing road trips. I could see a market for a short range AWD, but I am sure that Tesla currently wants to maximize profit, and the LR one gives a better margin.

Perhaps in the future they will come up with a new front motor that is as efficient as the rear one and also boost battery capacity (as prices fall). Similar to the model S eventually AWD will be standard.

Reactions: LyftupX
My first car as a teenager was RWD. Let's just say I had an experience in the snow that I said never again.
Which vehicle?

Because you can't really compare, the physics of weight distribution are very different in the Model 3 compared to most ICE vehicles of the last 30 years or so.

Also, I grew up with RWD on snow, and I loathed the switch to FWD on snow even though I understood why it had to happen is other factors drove how vehicles were designed. When I say loath I do mean loath.

Only the LR battery has the cabling and design to power 2 motors. The SR battery does not.
I've not followed the SR much. So someone has climbed under and confirmed the new SR pack lacks the empty channels coming to the middle of the front of the pack that the first LR RWD ones had?

I had originally expected an AWD SR option to surface but now having had a LR D; Given how much I've found AWD affects range, even in a nearly always snow-free environment, I don't see how AWD would produce a desirable overall experience. I suspect you'd need to get a battery pack up to something like a LEMR size for adding AWD to make sense.

I suppose it's a personal preference, but I prefer a vehicle that understeers versus one that oversteers. Seeing as how 99% of the time, I'm driving in a straight line, a vehicle that stays straight is preferable to one that fishtails.

That's my opinion and you are welcome to your own, but that is how I justify mine.
"This go-kart really handles different than a grain truck."

o_O

Bottom line, if you've got the weight over the rear wheels for it, RWD has an advantage in snow. The thing is that ICE vehicle design has been moving that weight away from the rear for decades, for other reasons.

P.S. The much more responsive traction control ability inherent in an BEV system, which the Model 3 realizes, mitigates the biggest issue of the RWD in snow which is power train induced oversteer (because the driver over applies, or lifts-off too quickly on the accelerator).

Last edited:
Two reasons Tesla won’t:

1. Keep the lineup simple to maximize production efficiency. Even the seemingly popular configurations of SR RWD and LR RWD were just removed from the website.
2. Those who need AWD probably live in colder regions where range will take a big hit during the winter. It just won’t be a good experience with triple range hit from the cold, AWD, 90% daily change and trip planner recommended 10% lower buffer. The practical range could drop to as low as 100 miles.

To the OP - #2 is right in. You’ll want LR in the winter. The range hit in cold weather is significant. The theoretical SR AWD would likely be terrible in the cold.

AWD cost a little range and if you really need AWD you problem drive in a cold climate for parts of the year and that’s a pretty good size hit. Taking those two hits on a SR would make for a very unhappy customer.

Don’t forget you get a nicer interior and hifi as well.

You need to move your artificial limit.

I am VERY happy I went for AWD (with 4 snows) and I needed every bit of it.

Also why are you so focused on FSD? As others mentioned, if you drive in snow, range is much more important than anything else. If I were you I will just buy LR AWD with AP but no FSD. (You have never sworn "never again non-FSD" have you) With any amount of tax credit, it fits your budget very well. Maybe in a few months Elon will do another FSD fire sale that will at least get the price back to $5000.

Middle of last year Tesla did say SR AWD would be an option but it's really anyone's guess if it will ever become available. If I were to guess, Tesla still really needs to streamline/optimize production efficiency/reduce costs to focus on profitability as much as possible before they can open the possibility of other options. They probably have a ways to go so I wouldn't anticipate anytime this year. Maybe next year if they can really become a lot more financially stable.

SR-AWD.PNG