Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model 3 Supercharge faster than Model S (in miles/minute)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Information we have is that the Model 3 will be a lot more aerodynamic than the S. Cd gains us 14% alone, and frontal area is also smaller (how much we don't know).
Yep

Sure, but that isn't the question, since the smaller battery won't be able to charge at the same voltage and amperage.
I'm under the impression that Tesla batteries are power constrained by the SC up to about 70% and then become SoC constrained. So this question is a ymmv and depends on what SoC each battery started at and how many kWh the person wants to add.

OP-Yes-newer cells longer or deeper insert of charger cable allows more amps/volts. Newer model S and X will have same cells so they will charge faster too. Neighbor got their new X and charges noticeably faster.

I don't know. Just spoke an model X owner. In 20 minutes he charges from 15 /20 % upto 80% at a Supercharger. He says the last 20% (from 80 till 100%) takes relatively the most time. He never does that, just because of that. At home he charges from 10 / 15 to 100% in 3 to 4 hours. In the regard to charging driving is different he says. He is more aware of "fueling up". The luxurious hovering is the other end of the scale and the balance goes to the positive side.

Last edited:
Current battery packs. A smaller battery might be constrained by SOC (which is to say amperage) at a different state of charge.
For sure. I meant that if a 70 kWh Model S pack can take the max SC output up to ~ 70%, that implies that 50 kWh or more uncharged capacity does not constrain the charge rate of current SCs.

Then ... if max charging rate in the new cells increases from 2C to say 2.5C, we are close to the bottom 100 miles of Model 3 range not being a limiting factor in SC charge rate. At least, that is what I am hoping for :)

I don't know. Just spoke an model X owner. In 20 minutes he charges from 15 /20 % upto 80% at a Supercharger. He says the last 20% (from 80 till 100%) takes relatively the most time. He never does that, just because of that. At home he charges from 10 / 15 to 100% in 3 to 4 hours. In the regard to charging driving is different he says. He is more aware of "fueling up". The luxurious hovering is the other end of the scale and the balance goes to the positive side.

i very much doubt he charges from 15% to 80% in 20min. Unless he charges twice as fast as all other teslas.

Tesla's website updated with a new blog post about charging today:

Someone noticed that a rendering of a potential Tesla Supercharger/Store/Service location showed an image of the Model ☰ with a more typical 'binnacle' at the driver position:

supercharger-expansion-01.jpg
supercharger-expansion-02.jpg

Looks like a placeholder rendering of the car to me. I doubt there will be a traditional hooded binnacle bump in the final Model ☰. But I was gladdened to see that blog post.

It isn't quite the announcement of the 'Tesla Depot/Waypoint' sites I'd like to see, but it's close enough. I do like the use of the phrase 'ubiquitous in urban centers' as that will hopefully, finally, cause EV Naysayers to [SIERRA TANGO FOXTROT UNIFORM] when it comes to eternal queries about 'What about apartment/condo dwellers?' and the like. The closing paragraph certainly draws a line in the asphalt:

"Tesla will continue to lead the industry with the fastest, most advanced charging technology in the world and continue to build the only cars capable of leveraging that power. The ongoing expansion of the networks will ensure that Tesla drivers are able to quickly and easily charge their vehicles no matter what, and that a seamless charging experience remains our priority."

"Tesla will continue to lead the industry with the fastest, most advanced charging technology in the world and continue to build the only cars capable of leveraging that power. The ongoing expansion of the networks will ensure that Tesla drivers are able to quickly and easily charge their vehicles no matter what, and that a seamless charging experience remains our priority."

Apart from the updated supercharger maps showing virtually blanket coverage in California and along the I-95 corridor, this is my favorite part of the blog post. Seems to be another hint that Supercharger V3 will leapfrog the upcoming generation of 150-300 kW CCS stations in terms of power output. And, unless my reading of the word "cars" is another "spaceship controls" moment, it appears that this step-up in power won't only matter to the Tesla semi and pickup.

• Love
Reactions: Red Sage
Why doesn't have the solar roof not one or two rows more. Than the cars are in the shade, cooler and the ventelation won't be on.
Look more closely. You'll notice the Supercharger locations without solar panels are next to a row of trees. The presumption is that as they grow, they will provide more shade (even though the Supercharger spaces are to the South side of some). Conceptually, it is best for their sites to be as 'green' as possible. There is also the fact that in California at least, most municipalities require a minimum amount of greenery at commercial sites.

Look more closely. You'll notice the Supercharger locations without solar panels are next to a row of trees. The presumption is that as they grow, they will provide more shade (even though the Supercharger spaces are to the South side of some). Conceptually, it is best for their sites to be as 'green' as possible. There is also the fact that in California at least, most municipalities require a minimum amount of greenery at commercial sites.
I was referring to the stalls with solar panels. When the roofs will have two more rows than the cars will "sit"in the shade

Look more closely. You'll notice the Supercharger locations without solar panels are next to a row of trees. The presumption is that as they grow, they will provide more shade

It's a rendering. Those trees are never going to grow. :) Why not show the trees at full growth if that is why surfaces don't have solar panels....

Thank you kindly.

I was referring to the stalls with solar panels. When the roofs will have two more rows than the cars will "sit"in the shade
Sure, they could potentially 'shade' all the driveways throughout the location with overhead solar panels. But many would consider that ugly. And Tesla might find it unnecessary. Besides, they would need more substantial supports and stanchions to hold up the canopy of solar panels. That would take up more space, and also be ugly. Cars shouldn't have to drive through a forest of pylons when negotiating the parking lot.

I did like the style of this display from the Tesla Booth at the Paris Motor Show a bit better, though:

_dsc1944.jpg

5C4905F9-7B79-4D3B-9806-D0C675E6CFEE_zpshsg4hpcu.jpg
5C4905F9-7B79-4D3B-9806-D0C675E6CFEE_zpshsg4hpcu.jpg

I don't think its a matter of the fact that its a car.

Lets say that a charger can supply an infinite amount of current to charge a battery bank. At that point it wouldn't matter how many batteries are on charge. They will all charge at the same rate.

However if I try and charge a battery bank with my cell phone charger ( limited current ).....more batteries would take longer than a single battery to charge.