Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will current autopilot cars be able to upgrade to 2.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Engineers discuss confidential information over lunch and risk breaching non-disclosure agreements? That's news to me. Yes, Apple had leaks to the WSJ, but we know for a fact now that was a planned corporate strategy. It certainly was not by the engineers discussing things over lunch.
Well while you are quoting Gizmodo, there was that iPhone 4 the Apple employee left at the bar that Gizmodo bought then brought the wrath of Apple down on them.:)

http://gizmodo.com/5520438/how-apple-lost-the-next-iphone

Reactions: Canuck
The simple answer for the OP is NO.

Anyone that owns an AP 1.0 (or earlier car) or places an order for a Model S/X today, should expect to have only the features that are on the car when they place the order. While it's possible Tesla may surprise us and change the features before the car is built or provide a reasonable upgrade to new features after the car is delivered, there is no way you can guarantee that, unless Tesla makes an official announcement (preferably something in writing).

We go through this angst every time Tesla is getting ready to announce their next generation of updates - changes like parking sensors, power folding mirrors, AP 1.0, dual motors, larger battery packs, ... And each time you get some people who try to anticipate the changes, place their orders ahead of time - and get disappointed when they don't win the lottery and get a new feature - that wasn't on their original order. Or owners who receive their cars days before the new features are announced, and are upset because they missed out on the changes.

It's possible Tesla may have already introduced changes in the current cars (wiring, housings) so that cars manufactured after a certain date may be upgradable to AP 2.0 (wasn't there a $500 increase recently on AP 1.0?).

It's possible Tesla may offer a reasonably priced upgrade from AP 1.0 to AP 2.0, though that seems much less likely.

And, it's even possible Tesla may offer an upgrade for pre-AP cars to AP 2.0, though that seems highly unlikely, and if they did, it's not clear it would make sense to spend that much $$$ on cars that have several years of depreciation already.

But, until Tesla makes an official announcement, we are all guessing. And everyone should not count on what any Tesla support, gallery or service staff may say - because until there is an official announcement, everything is only speculation.

Reactions: jaguar36
What do you think? I suspect we all know that more hardware will be required. Almost certainly more cameras, but perhaps lidar.
I know Tesla doesn't have a great record of allowing hardware upgrades, but this is a biggie. I imagine a serious backlash if we get closer to autonomous and the existing autopilot drivers are left with the original system. I would definitely sell my AP1 car and buy a new AP2 car. If others did the same it would flood the user market with guaranteed-resale value cars.

What's the community consensus on this?

There's no such thing as AP 2.0.

There's no such thing as AP 2.0.

Strange then that there a ton of threads and discussions here about something for which there is "no such thing".

I say it does exist, if only as a concept in our minds. And, if history is any example, concepts that are only in our minds are just as strong, if not much stronger, than many things that physically exist.

That's the great thing about the human mind -- and in particular the human sapiens' mind -- since 100,000 years ago at least six human species inhabited the earth. Today there is just one. Us. Homo sapiens. The others perished likely because we can deal with and discuss things that do not physically exist, but exist only in our mind, and then bring them about. It's debatable whether other humans could do that and arguably we have flourished precisely because we have learned to come together and form societies based on things that do not exist, like religion, borders, and so forth. Human Sapiens will fight to the death over an imaginary god, or a line in the sand. It's strange really but it sure has been effective in making us the masters of this earth.

Now it may be called Tesla Vision, rather than AP2.0. But as long was can imagine it, it exists. And to suggest it doesn't exist is like being those 5 species of humans who perished -- since just watch -- AP2.0 is coming... it's only a matter of when.