Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will 2025 equipped NACS vehicles be able to charge at Tesla Version 2 Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, only V3+ Superchargers are opening up in North America (and not even all of those are open at this point). See Tesla's official Supercharger map and filter down to "Superchargers Open to NACS".

Note: it's not clear to what extent it's technically impossible to open up V2 stations vs Tesla making a business decision choosing not to. Regardless, so far it's clear they don't have much interest in opening up the V2s and I'd expect that trend to continue.

Might be useful to explain the reason. Originally, Tesla had their own internal protocol from car to chargers (v2 chargers at the time), call it Tesla protocol. V3 and later chargers speak both the ccs protocol and the Tesla protocol. Old tesla cars only spoke the tesla protocol, but starting a few years ago newer tesla cars could handle both Tesla and ccs protocol. That's why only an inert adapter was needed for those newer teslas to charge at ccs chargers.

All other cars than teslas ( all other ccs cars) can only speak ccs protocol, none of them can speak Tesla protocol.. Thus ccs cars can't charge at old Tesla chargers that only speak Tesla protocol (this is v2 chargers). Even when new cars (like say a rivian) start having a built in NACS port on the car, they will still only speak ccs protocol, so they can only charge at v3 and later Tesla superchargers.

It’s a little more complex than that. Some, maybe all, V3 SCs still require a hardware upgrade to support non Teslas.

It’s not as simple as V3 works with any car, V2 is Tesla only.

That’s why I said it’s not clear if V2s are actually hard to retrofit or if Tesla is just choosing not.

My question that is sort of related to this topic:
Will the new 2025 other brand cars with NACS ports just work seamlessly with the existing Tesla mobile cables that I have? (And Tesla wall connectors?) I would expect probably? They would somehow negotiate down to using the J1772 protocol for level 2 over NACS plug, wouldn't they?

My question that is sort of related to this topic:
Will the new 2025 other brand cars with NACS ports just work seamlessly with the existing Tesla mobile cables that I have? (And Tesla wall connectors?) I would expect probably? They would somehow negotiate down to using the J1772 protocol for level 2 over NACS plug, wouldn't they?
The J3400 spec doesn't include the CAN style comms that current wall connectors (and I think mobile connectors) use before falling back to J1772, so I expect they will use straight J1772 signalling.

The current crop of Tesla to J1772 adapters have logic to get the Tesla EVSE to fall back to J1772 signalling faster, although in the worst cases, you have to wait 30s or so until the EVSE does so on it's own. Some cars have problems with this, because they timeout before the EVSE starts using plain J1772.

I would think the new cars will get tested with current Tesla EVSEs and will work with them, although exactly how well is anyone's guess.

Reactions: gsmith123
It’s a little more complex than that. Some, maybe all, V3 SCs still require a hardware upgrade to support non Teslas.

It’s not as simple as V3 works with any car, V2 is Tesla only.

That’s why I said it’s not clear if V2s are actually hard to retrofit or if Tesla is just choosing not.
There are CCS2(same protocol as CCS1 with a better plug) cars charging on V2s here in Australia. So there is presumably an upgrade available. There have been some issues here with different CCS2 cars and Tesla chargers though not consistently. On the open chargers some will charge on V2 but not V3 and I think vice versa and some charge on both with no issue.
Also note that all Tesla superchargers here have attached CCS2 cables. There is no NACS, instead older V2s have a modified type 2 for legacy Teslas as well as a CCS2.