Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

why Wh/mi and not mi/Wh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Always wondered this ... isn't mi/Wh easier for people to understand (like mpg?)

is it just to avoid fractions? 0.033, etc. Could do 1000mi/Wh, I guess.

Anyway ... need to flip your thinking ... 300 is worse than 280.

Could be so the consumption graph looks like the mountains you're climbing ;)

Last edited:
mi/kWh = efficiency. Higher = better.
kWh/mi (or Wh/mi) = consumption. Lower = better.

I think Tesla was one of the first companies that used consumption reporting over efficiecny reporting, and now several other automakers are switching to it too.

I personally like using mi/kWh. I call it MPK (similar to MPG). I can ask other EV drivers "hey, what kind of MPK are you getting in your car?"
3 mi/kWh (or 333 Wh/mi) is my baseline at highway speeds. I have SoC % rather than range, as it makes it easy to guesstimate range on a trip (since rated range is not equal to real range). The math is easy to do in your head while driving.

So say I have 50% battery remaining, this means that I can drive (75 kWh * 50%) * 3 = 112 mi more.
To do the same calculation using consumption, the math is more difficult: (75 kWh * 50%) / 0.333 = 112 mi.

> Could be so the consumption graph looks like the mountains you're climbing
That's the real secret reason Tesla picked it, haha.😄

Reactions: Beesiler
That's a good question. I grew up in Europe (France) and the measure for ICE cars there is the number of liters consumed/100km. So it is closer to what Tesla uses, but it does force you to do some math gymnastics in your head to calculate your range. But I like numbers, so I don't mind.

That's a good question. I grew up in Europe (France) and the measure for ICE cars there is the number of liters consumed/100km. So it is closer to what Tesla uses, but it does force you to do some math gymnastics in your head to calculate your range. But I like numbers, so I don't mind.
But it used to be km/l quite a long time ago (at least in the Netherlands). Can't remember exactly when the switch happened, could actually have been over a long transition period.