Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wh/km (or mi) / range grossly mis-advertised, if not fraudulent... srsly.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have made up my mind. For me, Tesla (or EVs in general) is not worth it.

Call me stubborn not not willing to change, but the ease of a good old diesel car is just what I want. No need to organize my life around a car and its limited range. You can just fuel everywhere in a few minutes and drive about 1.000 km.

I'm not talking about good or bad. Electric cars are just not for me, how my life is organized and what I expect from a car (a tool that makes my life easier).

I personally find little joy in the fact that if I drive 180 km to get to my destination, I need to start calculating whether or not I can still drive around town to go to a restaurant and how far the next super charger might be. So technically you are right, "You don’t need to charge during a two hour trip in a Long Range", but at the destination, you cannot just relax and do something unexpected either. The tool is not making my life easier, I need to adapt to the limitations of a tool.

If you have a regular life (e.g. commuting every day the same route) and do occasionally longer trips, I think EVs are great.

I work in the events industry, irregular hours, often late at night. I need to drive up to 3 hours one way and I have no need to sit and wait in a car at night just because it needs to charge. After my work, I just want to go home without loosing time.

Unfortunately, Tesla dropped his price significantly, so selling it without a big loss will be difficult.
OK. Good bye, and good luck.

Hmmm, driving habits have been avoided in this thread for some reason, all baout the math maybe?

I would just add, in Canada summer in my 2017 mS I can get close to 600km IF I never exceed 80km/hour on a long highway trip. However, if I maintain 100km/hour my range drops to about 440km, if i go wild a few times anddrive ar 120-130km/hour for a few minutes my range drops to 360 km.

Going into the mild winter say -6C (using only driver seat and stearing wheel warmers) I am getting 320km driving between 80-100km/hour with brief moments of 110km hour.

Reactions: Bouba
Yeah, the biggest problem is the horrible performance of the battery in cold weather. If the heat pump spends all it's time keeping the battery warm, you're going to have a lot of loss.

I agree that a ICE car is a better option in cold environments, at least until solid state batteries become a reality in EVs

Yeah, the biggest problem is the horrible performance of the battery in cold weather. If the heat pump spends all it's time keeping the battery warm, you're going to have a lot of loss.

I agree that a ICE car is a better option in cold environments, at least until solid state batteries become a reality in EVs
It depends on you use case - I've had my MY for 3 ½ years in MN and it's been fine for me.

It depends on you use case - I've had my MY for 3 ½ years in MN and it's been fine for me.
Where are you would run into a problem is if you had to drive a decent percentage of the warm weather mileage…

More than once I’ve had to drive from Maryland to Pennsylvania, and the trip is roughly 300 miles round-trip.

My mileage is nowhere near the rated mileage for an MYP. In addition, I have tires that are way better than the ones that came with the car, in so far as efficiency is concerned… and I got a good 30% less range that I would during a warm day.

Not to mention that I’ve made the same trip driving in exactly the same manner exactly the same roads during warm weather and I’ve gotten there and back without issue.

Having to spend an extra 45 minutes charging the car because your range is totally in the crapper and Tesla never warned you about it when you purchased a vehicle is really not acceptable.

Where are you would run into a problem is if you had to drive a decent percentage of the warm weather mileage…

More than once I’ve had to drive from Maryland to Pennsylvania, and the trip is roughly 300 miles round-trip.

My mileage is nowhere near the rated mileage for an MYP. In addition, I have tires that are way better than the ones that came with the car, in so far as efficiency is concerned… and I got a good 30% less range that I would during a warm day.

Not to mention that I’ve made the same trip driving in exactly the same manner exactly the same roads during warm weather and I’ve gotten there and back without issue.

Having to spend an extra 45 minutes charging the car because your range is totally in the crapper and Tesla never warned you about it when you purchased a vehicle is really not acceptable.
Are you sure that after being a member of this forum for nearly five years, you haven’t come across any documentation that says batteries are less efficient in the cold ?

Are you sure that after being a member of this forum for nearly five years, you haven’t come across any documentation that says batteries are less efficient in the cold ?
IMO the bigger issue is Tesla seems to have made a conscious decision to not go chasing longer ranges because 3-400 is “enough”. And if that were real world range it would be. But in reality you’re lucky to get 70% of the rated range. And then add to that that supercharging works best in that 20-80% range, now all of a sudden you’re lucky to get 150 miles between stops even in an S.

IMO the bigger issue is Tesla seems to have made a conscious decision to not go chasing longer ranges because 3-400 is “enough”. And if that were real world range it would be. But in reality you’re lucky to get 70% of the rated range. And then add to that that supercharging works best in that 20-80% range, now all of a sudden you’re lucky to get 150 miles between stops even in an S.
It’s always been argued that the most efficient way (time wise) is to ride the bottom half of the battery. So very frequent quick stops are the quickest. In reality it’s easier (in my opinion) to take fewer but longer breaks. In which case you can go a lot further....but against a blizzard in a cold winter...no so much.
All technologies have limitations.....but speaking personally, I find a Tesla very easy to live with

Reactions: sleepydoc
It’s always been argued that the most efficient way (time wise) is to ride the bottom half of the battery. So very frequent quick stops are the quickest. In reality it’s easier (in my opinion) to take fewer but longer breaks. In which case you can go a lot further....but against a blizzard in a cold winter...no so much.
All technologies have limitations.....but speaking personally, I find a Tesla very easy to live with
You also live in a country that is around 5% of the size of the US.

I manage. But this is an aspect where gas cars are much better.

Sure. We also both live on a planet that is in a solar system which is a part of a galaxy. But the average european has far shorter drives than the average american, and a big part of that is their countries are much smaller.
the average to and from work commute in the USA is about 40 miles or so:

OR: distance is not an issue, but mindset and infrastructure are. The habit from years of ICE is to be able to drive 5 hours before needing fuel. If one cannot accept to change their behavior to adapt to a new reality where you drive 2h, maybe up to 3 and then need a charging stop then they complain that the battery needs to be able to do 5 hours. Charging can be made quick, but only if the battery's not too big otherwise your stop after 5h would take 30 minutes instead of 15, you're not that much better. Or you're trying to NEVER require fast chargers? You're gonna lug a pretty big battery around, all the time...
On the infrastructure side, we need enough chargers to be able to do those 2h and always rely on there being a fast charger at that location.

OR: distance is not an issue, but mindset and infrastructure are. The habit from years of ICE is to be able to drive 5 hours before needing fuel. If one cannot accept to change their behavior to adapt to a new reality where you drive 2h, maybe up to 3 and then need a charging stop then they complain that the battery needs to be able to do 5 hours. Charging can be made quick, but only if the battery's not too big otherwise your stop after 5h would take 30 minutes instead of 15, you're not that much better. Or you're trying to NEVER require fast chargers? You're gonna lug a pretty big battery around, all the time...
On the infrastructure side, we need enough chargers to be able to do those 2h and always rely on there being a fast charger at that location.
If those charging stops were right off the highway and plugging in was immediate, perhaps you would have a point. But reality is each stop adds an extra 10 minutes of driving typically (5 minutes to the stop, 5 minutes back onto the highway). Often times you have to wait 15+ minutes in line. And then the charging time itself. Over the course of a 1000 mile trip, it can add hours to your travel time.

An ICE car you have to stop maybe 1/3 as often and the actual fillup is much quicker too.