Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why isn't there storage under the armrests?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has many things on their plates right now, and storage spaces is a very minor thing, so I don't want them spending much effort on it.

This mindset is confusing to me. This topic is pretty low-impact of course - so I somewhat understand the sentiment; however, I see this kind of response on other topics too (like version releases etc). There is a camp here that gives Tesla a lot of leeway because of what they are doing. Its odd to me and I cant figure out if its an early adopter start up sentiment or in general the customer that they attract. Its certainly not where I like to go as a default...but I'm not one of those early adopters (at least compared to those that purchased on the first wave of release).

I was always taught from a young age that life keeps score - business especially. And the open market can be brutal. Essentially there is first, and then first loser (most people don't remember Ms Congeniality). So, the whole 'give them a break' sentiment that seems to show up a lot on this forum kind of blows me away. For sure there are priorities for the things that they do and some fundamental vs just nice to have. That said, I feel like the broader market isn't as kind. And, once they get to the Model 3, the days of letting things slip will be gone. They will be slugging it out on the playground the bullies that own the turf will not be kind...I kind of doubt the customer will too.

Again this is simply about the armrests...which by the way annoy the &%^* out me the way they slide to open the drink holder area while you use them as intended (an armrest)! Whats with that? :)

I'll admit that I've pared down alot since getting my Model S, but my glove box is crammed and the frunk organizer is jammed. How about including some pockets in the doors? Seems like a big hollow area under the arm rests behind the speakers.

I use a nicely decorated cigar box that sits perfectly in the front portion of the open space below the arm rests. The box is held in place nicely by the sides of the not-a-console and stays put, even under sprited acceleration. I can't guarantee that a P85d acceleration might not be too violent, however.

What do people store in car cabins these days?
Maps- no, there are onscreen maps
Change- no, highways have toll tag readers
Cassette tapes or CDs-- No and no

My sunglasses case goes in the shelf under the main screen, and charge network cards are in the drivers seat pouch. A pen and notepad is in the glove compartment. What should I be carrying that I'm not?

When you spend a lot of time on the road your car becomes your moving home. So I typically carry an absurd amount of "stuff": notebooks, toothpaste, safety glasses & earplugs, a couple of bottles of water, piles of receipts, etc...

My wife car with storage.

IMG_1500.JPG

My car

IMG_1501.JPG

This mindset is confusing to me. This topic is pretty low-impact of course - so I somewhat understand the sentiment; however, I see this kind of response on other topics too (like version releases etc). There is a camp here that gives Tesla a lot of leeway because of what they are doing. Its odd to me and I cant figure out if its an early adopter start up sentiment or in general the customer that they attract. Its certainly not where I like to go as a default...but I'm not one of those early adopters (at least compared to those that purchased on the first wave of release).

I was always taught from a young age that life keeps score - business especially. And the open market can be brutal. Essentially there is first, and then first loser (most people don't remember Ms Congeniality). So, the whole 'give them a break' sentiment that seems to show up a lot on this forum kind of blows me away. For sure there are priorities for the things that they do and some fundamental vs just nice to have. That said, I feel like the broader market isn't as kind. And, once they get to the Model 3, the days of letting things slip will be gone. They will be slugging it out on the playground the bullies that own the turf will not be kind...I kind of doubt the customer will too.

Again this is simply about the armrests...which by the way annoy the &%^* out me the way they slide to open the drink holder area while you use them as intended (an armrest)! Whats with that? :)
I think you missed the rest of my post where I said this was definitely an issue, and that I expect them to fix it at some point. They have a long list, and this shouldn't be the top priority because there are other issues that are more important. I'm not saying they should ignore this at all, you'll see several of my posts say that Tesla needs to fix this.

I just think that this isn't the first thing they should do with their limited resources.

Honestly I don't expect to see any change on this issue until they do a major model s re-design. (which I expect to be another 3-5 years)

Your concept that they can't do big things while working on small things clearly isn't the case - they slightly changed the shape of the sun visors. They made the rear doors open a little wider. Stuff like that.
And I would argue that those weren't things they should have spent their time on either. I'm not saying they shouldn't do these things, but they often don't prioritize well as it is. I don't think that's a good thing.

Definitely need backseat storage for crayons and coloring books. :)

I will say when test driving the Model S, the wide open middle area between the front seats was intriguing. Unfortunately, now it's becoming the dumping ground for all my random stuff. Which is out in the open for everyone to see. Ugh. I like the rolltop box in the Mercedes--stuff hides nicely!

Also, I don't think there are vent tubes in the front doors.. the vents are in the feet area under the rear of the front seats (as well as on the top of the back of the center armrest). I've had the front door panels off and I don't recall seeing anything like that...... (but I wasn't looking for it though)

-m

While I'm pretty minimal with the things I carry, even I find the storage in the Tesla to be a bit too minimal! I keep my headphones, some napkins, a flashlight, breath mints, a couple pens, and some other random stuff. I can see why Tesla didn't include a center console because it is unique for a car to not have a huge transmission tunnel that splits the vehicle in half. It looks very spacious. But certainly some pockets in the doors wouldn't have hurt!