Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I bought a SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With your mileage, assuming 1000 cycles, battery life is maybe 12 years. Probably with the LR, you retain a little bit more value in the later years, but there is always a risk of sudden battery failure due to calendar age - so I'm thinking you made the right call. Over 20k miles probably tips the balance the other way - unless you gamble on a cheap replacement pack being a wear and tear item in 10 years time.
Degradation should level out after a couple of years. LFP might be different though - as in a lot better.

You don't need to replicate them, just click on the link.
OK. I can get that journey down to 2 hrs 34 mins of charging by putting in some real world settings. Those are by changing the car to my 2019 version rather than the latest version with the new battery, making my average consumption 240 wh/mile (I can do that and better at 70mph on motorways nine months of the year), and by setting max departure charge at 80% (as I would practice in real life). A Better Routeplanner
To show this is perfectly doable in real life, these are the stats taken from Teslafi for a 400-mile journey I did last summer. Depart Montagnac near Pezenas with 92%. Charge at Albaret-Saint-Marie 25 mins 20%-84%. Charge at Clermont Ferrand 11 mins 57%-79%. Charge at Bourges 18 mins 26%-72%. Arrive Orleans with 37%. The SR+ is a stunningly capable car on a road trip and has exceeded my expectations.

Reactions: Mrklaw
You don't need to replicate them, just click on the link.
This (link below) explains why your stats are so different to my experience. The latest SR+ with the China battery appears to charge much slower than the versions we're all driving. If you use that version in ABRP, as you did, it's extending the required charging times. It's also only a beta version in ABRP so it's not reflecting much real-world experience Tesla's China-made Model 3 battery charges slower and has shorter lifespan, say reports

Spoiler alert!

Oh and as an owner of the LR, I enjoy the extra performance vs. SR+. A model I've driven quite a bit as well. There are plenty of times I use its acceleration to full potential, but I suppose it depends where you live and the roads you drive on. I'd love to be able to accelerate even faster, which the Performance model would offer. Actually I'd probably purchase the Acceleration Boost if I could, but my car is on a PCH lease so not an option.
Email Tesla, they’ll give you a price to enable the acceleration boost on a PCH

• Helpful
Reactions: EVMeister
Degradation should level out after a couple of years. LFP might be different though - as in a lot better.
I don't think there are many SR+ with >150k miles to extrapolate from. Even looking at some S/X data, there don't seem to be many with over 400 full battery cycles. Of course, we expect 10-20% degradation in the first 20k miles/ 3 years (with another 5% tracking error because the range numbers are all estimated). The other end of the curve, when range starts to drop below 50 miles in the winter or the battery won't hold charge, is mostly an unknown.

This (link below) explains why your stats are so different to my experience. The latest SR+ with the China battery appears to charge much slower than the versions we're all driving. If you use that version in ABRP, as you did, it's extending the required charging times. It's also only a beta version in ABRP so it's not reflecting much real-world experience Tesla's China-made Model 3 battery charges slower and has shorter lifespan, say reports
Well, that's partly my point, you'll be buying the LFP one now. I wouldn't be too sceptical on ABRP estimates, I have found them to be within 5% error and that can be explained away by weather differences.

Here is the older model on the same trip, still almost double the charging time VS LR

Total charging 3 h 19 min
Total Miles 941 mi
Total driven 15 h 42 min

Of course you would never actually do this with a stop watch (unless you are Bjorn), but the point is there is a sizable difference in flexibility and stress levels between those cars if you choose to drive long distance or have them on a holiday.

I don't think there are many SR+ with >150k miles to extrapolate from. Even looking at some S/X data, there don't seem to be many with over 400 full battery cycles. Of course, we expect 10-20% degradation in the first 20k miles/ 3 years (with another 5% tracking error because the range numbers are all estimated). The other end of the curve, when range starts to drop below 50 miles in the winter or the battery won't hold charge, is mostly an unknown.
Doesent have to be an SR+, you can take any pack with the same chemistry to see what would happen. I very much doubt the weight and KW rating of the motor accross the different models affect the battery degredation much VS how much DC charging it had for example.

Well, that's partly my point, you'll be buying the LFP one now. I wouldn't be too sceptical on ABRP estimates, I have found them to be within 5% error and that can be explained away by weather differences.

Here is the older model on the same trip, still almost double the charging time VS LR

Total charging 3 h 19 min
Total Miles 941 mi
Total driven 15 h 42 min

Of course you would never actually do this with a stop watch (unless you are Bjorn), but the point is there is a sizable difference in flexibility and stress levels between those cars if you choose to drive long distance or have them on a holiday.
Two points. ABRP really doesn't have the data on the China battery yet so it's listed as beta. I believe there's been a recent software update that addresses the charging issue. Second, your settings in ABRP are working against the SR+. You can make ABRP do what you like by altering the settings on efficiency and charge limits. I know what my car will do in real life and it's not what your figures suggest. I also find ABRP accurate..........when the settings reflect real-world performance and behaviour.

LR guy: mine goes further and is worth the extra money.

Yep, thread ruined.
Yes! The OP in this thread (@kelvin 660 ) outlined the thinking that led him to choose an SR+ and it turns out he was pleased with his choice ... it suits his use and things have worked out great. He commented that if he had really wanted he could have had a LR or Performance but the balance of features, range and cost steered him towards an SR+. Same for me as it turns out. It's interesting because it would be easy to assume that someone only chooses an SR+ because they can't afford the extra for the other models... not so in this case. So let's big up the SR+ for a change and acknowledge a satisfied customer! This doesn't mean that the choice of another model isn't the best choice for someone else. If you need/want faster and further you know what you need to buy. Some people have even switched models for this reason and they are happy too ... brilliant!

Just come back from a day trip to Brighton. About 150 mile round trip, came back having used about 65% battery in my SR+, 72mph autopilot most of the time or cruise depending how often I was changing lanes (wish they’d let you keep AP on with lane changes..)

super relaxing trip with me just keeping an eye on it but AP taking the micro managing of the drive off my hands so no fatigue, and I switched to octopus go yesterday so if I got my sums right, it’ll charge back up over the next day or two for about £1.60 which is nuts

All useful Information.

My reason for purchasing a M3 SR+ later this year is we only do around 7,000 per year with a small daily commute. Also, being honest the SR+ is at the top of affordability for us at this present time, so it’s basically that or no Tesla. I’m really looking forward to it, and feel it will have anything we need and more.
Similar to ourselves, except it will have to be 2nd hand for affordability I think.

My reason for purchasing a M3 SR+ later this year is we only do around 7,000 per year with a small daily commute. Also, being honest the SR+ is at the top of affordability for us at this present time, so it’s basically that or no Tesla.
If it's any consolence, I got into a lucky situation where I could easily afford a Model 3 Performance or Long Range or a Model Y, but I still chose the Model 3 SR+ very deliberately.

I did some calculations and found that even on very-long-distance drives a bigger battery would only save me a half hour, because I have a lunch break and two other breaks anyway, even if I drove a Diesel car.

In practice I have now made a number of long trips, one from Munich, Germany, to southern Italy, more than 1,000 km (600 miles), and found my calculations to be realistic. I also found that road works, traffic jams, weather events, etc., made some trips longer by hours. So why should I worry about a half hour more or less?

I admire the extreme efficiency of the Model 3 SR+, which is unmatched even by other Tesla cars, not to mention cars from other manufacturers.

There are situations where buying a Model 3 Long-Range is clearly advisable. If you drive long distances frequently or if range makes a decisive difference on your daily commute, these would be good reasons. Another reason would be that you don't know what else to do with your money. :)

This has been my experience, too. I bought our 2019 SR+ last August, we were finally able to do our first long trip (Southampton to West Cumbria) last month and the absolute ease of stopping at Superchargers made the shorter range of the SR+ totally manageable, one 20 minute stop and a 10 minute stop (we needed longer than the car on both stops). Sure, 50 miles of additional range would be nice, but it's never been a deal breaker for me on my travels yet.

Reactions: Puzuk