Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do UK customers have to pay so much more than US customer for a TELSA? e.g. A model 3 performance costs $54.500 in UK we have the cost is $82.000!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do UK customers have to pay so much more than US customer for a TELSA? e.g. A model 3 performance costs $54.500 in UK we have the cost is $82.000! I was interested in swapping my car for a TELSA but with these prices. No way...

There's about a 10k premium after currency conversion and VAT.. but Tesla set the price. it's not like there's a choice.

Same with just about everything else from the US.

It actually makes more sense if you do just say £1=$1 and accept that's the price for most things from over there.

($54,490 / 1.39 * 1.2) = £47.041, UK price £59,990k).

Last edited:
Hmmmm didn't Tesla knock around £50,000 yes FIFTY THOUSAND off the prices of the Model S & Model X.

Maybe it was around Budget time and the VAT changed or the transportation ships offered to transport for a subsidy LOL.

The simple answer is that at the current prices there are no shortage of customers queueing up to throw money at them.

Just look at what ID.3's were available for recently, but no longer.

Wait until the Model Y launches here and loads swap their M3's for MY's AND Tesla keep shipping M3's you might see a price adjustment then.

20% VAT, 10% import tariff. Also cars advertised on the US site are with tax free price since every state has different taxation.
This is exactly what happened when the basic model 3 was advertised at 35k$ and people thought they would be getting it over here for 29k£. LOL.
Just to add insult to injury you pay UK VAT on the transportation and other incidental costs.

Why do UK customers have to pay so much more than US customer for a TELSA? e.g. A model 3 performance costs $54.500 in UK we have the cost is $82.000! I was interested in swapping my car for a TELSA but with these prices. No way...
Ignore the US costs. The cars are either worth it to you or not at the current UK prices (Hint: they are).

Simple. Price on US site is before any taxes. There's a 10% import tax on US goods. Then add 20% VAT onto that. This also applies to transport fee etc. There may be some small margin, but given that producing RH Drive is also a cost for a much smaller market, we shouldn't be surprised if prices are higher here. Its always been the case that in general, UK cars cost more than their European continental equivalents.

Simple. Price on US site is before any taxes. There's a 10% import tax on US goods. Then add 20% VAT onto that. This also applies to transport fee etc. There may be some small margin, but given that producing RH Drive is also a cost for a much smaller market, we shouldn't be surprised if prices are higher here. Its always been the case that in general, UK cars cost more than their European continental equivalents.
This^
US prices are always advertised without sales tax, which typically adds about 7% to the advertised price. Then many states add another 1-5% local govt tax on top of that. Our prices are advertised inclusive of 20% VAT and import duty, which are not Tesla’s problem!

Ultimately pricing is demand/supply dictated in all sales regions. We are fortunate that Tesla even bother with the UK market at all, especially in the early days when they were severely production limited.