Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who is using overheat protection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who out there is using cabin overheat protection? I was talking with service rep who recommended turning it off to get batter battery life. I don’t mind getting in a warm car, but I don’t want my original 2014 MCU screen to start oozing glue. My 2014 MS 85kwh has no bubbles in screen, no yellow border and now sticky glue coming out. I’m at 52,000 and second owner (bought March 2019). Will the overheat protection protect my screen at the cost of batter life in the hot summer?

I use it. I figure Tesla added it for a reason - it probably protects other electronics too, not just the screen. The official reason is to protect children and pets, but realistically at 40C (104F) threshold, it's not protecting anything breathing in a closed cabin for long.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
I use it. It definitely has an impact on battery life on hot days. I got to work at 6AM today with 68%. When I got out to my car at 2PM it was down to 62%. It was 97F outside at 2PM. On less extreme warm days I'll lose 2% or 3% over 8 hours. It's up to you whether or not that's acceptable loss.

Last thing I want is the MCU 1 to be fried and Tesla to have some excuse for not replacing it. As above I feel that’s what COP is for. If you are someplace that far out of range, sure, turn it off to save battery. But as a matter of course better to normally not fry things.

It's one or the other. The older cars have goo, and the newer ones have yellow. It won't be both. Given that cabin heat protection didn't happen until a year or so ago, it's already been several years without.

I don't really think the heat has a lot to do with the goo. Just age and road vibration. (My opinion, no actual data.)

Yes. I use it, but I also leave the windows cracked and the pano at 15%. Always have. I don't find it loses all that much during the day when on, but that's likely because the car isn't totally closed.

I use it, in Southern Cal it is a no brainer. A few miles of range is worth it. Now I would stop using it if someone tells me turning it on is bad for the car by making it work hard through out a hot day. :rolleyes:
This is kind of what i'm thinking. In NJ the summer days regularly hit high 90's with cabinet temps easily in the 130's. My AC would be running all day long. How could this be good for longevity of the AC unit and battery?

It's one or the other. The older cars have goo, and the newer ones have yellow. It won't be both. Given that cabin heat protection didn't happen until a year or so ago, it's already been several years without.

I don't really think the heat has a lot to do with the goo. Just age and road vibration. (My opinion, no actual data.)

Yes. I use it, but I also leave the windows cracked and the pano at 15%. Always have. I don't find it loses all that much during the day when on, but that's likely because the car isn't totally closed.
Good point that it became available only recently. I would hope that if my screen was going to ooze, it would have done it by now. I've seen the ooze before on "toughbook" laptops installed in our patrol cars. I will say that in extreme heat the ooze was definitely worse. I would assume its related to construction of the screen, not liquid tight enough to hold in oose when it becomes hot and liquidy.

Good point that it became available only recently. I would hope that if my screen was going to ooze, it would have done it by now. I've seen the ooze before on "toughbook" laptops installed in our patrol cars. I will say that in extreme heat the ooze was definitely worse. I would assume its related to construction of the screen, not liquid tight enough to hold in oose when it becomes hot and liquidy.
FWIW, it first started on my car in cold weather--just an anecdote, not data.

My first car, a 2014 85, I didn’t use it and got some bubbles at the top of the screen.
When I got my current 2015 P85D, it had no bubbles. I usually park in a garage at home and work but figured it is best to use it to keep the bubbles away.
My car came from Texas where the previous owner must have used it judging by the battery charge and discharge stats from TM-Spy:
FCFCF3A9-B5BC-4A5F-A2CC-5B0A29BDF638.jpeg

(I didn’t let it sit at 100% SOC for more than a few minutes.)

Attachments

• B17772EC-12F4-4C49-BFB4-0B2E5677F2DD.jpeg
    B17772EC-12F4-4C49-BFB4-0B2E5677F2DD.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 58
I think it important to clarify terms.
In this case " battery life" is referring to amount of stored power used, and cycling the pack will have some small impact over the long term. But we are not talking real harm to the battery just a little extra power use.
That said, the power consumption of cooling a drastically overheated cabin is significant and I hate listening to it roar. I also think once you consider having to cool a 140f cabin when you get in vs. keeping it to 105 might not be as big a difference as you think.

Reactions: agtdDelirium
I have it one but rarely see it in use. I live in pretty mild climate; 80% of the time it's between 60 and 80 degrees. Additionally, the car is garaged 80% of the time it's parked (home and work)...and the cherry on top is the ceramic tint I have on the windows (including the windshield). Lastly, if I park outside during the day I have a tendency to park with the back towards the sun and I use a windshield popup shade when I can't.

I also leave the roof vented and a window slightly open creating a "chimney effect" (if I'm not parked under a tree or bird haven). When the car is hot, I'll drive with the windows down for a few minutes to flush out the hot air and not overwork the AC. Now that we all have "Dog Mode," I use it during quick errands even with Sir Rupert Woofington and Senator Fred Thompson aren't in the car.

Like others, I assume extreme heat is not good for the electronics, adhesives, and interior that off-gas due to heat and direct sunlight.