Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who is going to be "that guy" camping out on March 30th?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be "that guy" all day long. I enjoy these types of things, hoops to jump through and blood on the knuckles so-to-speak. Without this sort of personalized excitement, what is life? I highly doubt you'd have to camp out, and you could probably sleep in until 7:30 and get to the store by 8 with a cup of coffee to join a few others in line, but it's the whole adventure that is part of the experience.

Some people will wait an extra 14 hours and just throw in an order online and move forward with their day, and some will plan their lives around March 31st. It's that variety that makes enthusiasts who they are, and I personally never fault passion or enthusiasm in anyone.

Looks my my buddy PTADO and I are going to get some quality time together at the Pasadena store. Starbucks on me for Everyone in line when the doors open!

RT

I'll be there early. When the store opens, I'll have the money in cash. I'll walk in and when an employee tries to talk to me I'll thrust my $1000 forward and say "Shut up and take my money!"

Awe... you forgot the gratuitous meme post....

shut_up_and_take_my_money-t2.jpg

There :biggrin:

Any idea which store Dr. EVS? We should warn them, maybe Just kidding.
I will definitely reserve a 3 ... on line cuz there will be no joy in Mudville (pending litigation) that night. I don't "have to ask" I am an enthusiast and have been there before. Also have some training specific to Tesla Motors Inc. Waiting for this thing has been joyous misery. :smile:

There is a huge BMW dealership right next door to the Tesla store in Rotterdam, the Netherlands and I had the following scenario in mind.

Imagine just minutes before the opening I am hitting the enormous glass wall of the showroom with a fist full of money shouting: "I want an affordable, long range BEV. Come out and take my money! Oh wait, I have to go next door. Sorry for the disturbance guys!"

• Funny
Reactions: LargeHamCollider
There is a huge BMW dealership right next door to the Tesla store in Rotterdam, the Netherlands and I had the following scenario in mind.

Imagine just minutes before the opening I am hitting the enormous glass wall of the showroom with a fist full of money shouting: "I want an affordable, long range BEV. Come out and take my money! Oh wait, I have to go next door. Sorry for the disturbance guys!"

That's cruel.....but very funny.

If people take along a few tents and chairs it will be good for publicity.

Also, a couple of patsies could have a pretend fight over queue jumping, not necessarily broken bones, but blood on faces is a winner with the news, maybe take along some ketchup, keep the fight long enough for people to take videos with their phones.:wink:

Brad. Party officially kicks off at 7:30 a.m. Don't be "casually late" if you want good position in line. ;)

https://www.facebook.com/events/655987787875219/

Thanks, I saw that just a bit ago. I'll certainly be there before 7:30 AM.

Store still doesn't have much to share. If I were Tesla, I'd like to offer a weekly countdown teaser...

4 weeks left before Reservations... announce Reservation date
3 weeks left before Reservations... announce Reservation party at each store
2 weeks left before Reservations... announce Reservation kick-off time
1 weeks left before Reservations... announce one or two non-flagship features that are still exciting

(yea, wishful thinking, I know)

I plan to go in the day the Melbourne store opens. Still waiting on a confirmation of when that will be if we get it on the 31st 9am AEST or if it will be synced with USA that means April 1st Mid Afternoon.? Not sure if it's going to have a crazy turn out or not. It is a $55-60k AUD car with a $1000 (maybe $1500AUD) deposit, not a $800 iphone. Don't expect it to be a huge wait like an iphone launch but as long as i'm not there for 24 hours waiting i'll be happy!

I'm not sleeping out there, but I'll be at my local store at probably 6 AM on March 31. Already told my bosses I'd be in late that day. Luckily, my nearest dealership is less than 10 minutes from me, and even closer to work than where I live. The 31st can't come soon enough!

Do I understand correctly that everybody is sort of planning to line up at Tesla stores to order a Model 3 (like queueing up at Apple for a new iPhone)? Isn't it likely that everyone is going to have to wait like 3 years before they actually get a car? I don't understand...

That's correct, AB4EJ. Generally speaking, the point of lining up is to put yourself higher in priority on the list of eventual recipients of the Model 3 once production starts next year. Having ordered plenty of iPhones at midnight online, though never lining up for one in person, I can see your misunderstanding why someone would concern themselves so far in advance for a car so far away, but if you consider the significance of a new car purchase as it compares to a simple smart phone upgrade, to me it almost makes more sense to pre-order a Model 3, even if it is 18 months+ in advance. Tesla has decided to only take pre-orders in store on March 31, following up with online pre-orders on April 1. The difference in your spot in the queue, and thus in the time you receive the car, if the car is anywhere close to as popular as Tesla hopes it'll be, could be months. I'd rather line up now than have to wait 6 more months to get the car once they finally start shipping.

Just my two cents.

That's correct, AB4EJ. Generally speaking, the point of lining up is to put yourself higher in priority on the list of eventual recipients of the Model 3 once production starts next year. Having ordered plenty of iPhones at midnight online, though never lining up for one in person, I can see your misunderstanding why someone would concern themselves so far in advance for a car so far away, but if you consider the significance of a new car purchase as it compares to a simple smart phone upgrade, to me it almost makes more sense to pre-order a Model 3, even if it is 18 months+ in advance. Tesla has decided to only take pre-orders in store on March 31, following up with online pre-orders on April 1. The difference in your spot in the queue, and thus in the time you receive the car, if the car is anywhere close to as popular as Tesla hopes it'll be, could be months. I'd rather line up now than have to wait 6 more months to get the car once they finally start shipping.

Just my two cents.

This sums it up perfectly.