Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who Else Had ICE Ruined For Them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I've had my Model 3 a few months now, and despite the flaws with the "customer service" side of things, the driving dynamics are amazing. I went back to driving a Mercedes C63s the other day and I was blown away. The car felt... slow, sloppy, and almost annoying to drive. I used to work for Mercedes and anyone who knows cars knows the 63 AMGs are no slouches. But after driving the Tesla exclusively for a few weeks I can't enjoy the twin turbo V8 (besides the sound, which is still amazing). Considering the price I paid for the Model 3 is half the Mercedes, I feel like an idiot for not buying the Tesla sooner. Have any other car guys had gasoline cars ruined for them? I'm almost sad that I can't really enjoy driving my ICE cars anymore!

Well I've had my Model 3 a few months now, and despite the flaws with the "customer service" side of things, the driving dynamics are amazing. I went back to driving a Mercedes C63s the other day and I was blown away. The car felt... slow, sloppy, and almost annoying to drive. I used to work for Mercedes and anyone who knows cars knows the 63 AMGs are no slouches. But after driving the Tesla exclusively for a few weeks I can't enjoy the twin turbo V8 (besides the sound, which is still amazing). Considering the price I paid for the Model 3 is half the Mercedes, I feel like an idiot for not buying the Tesla sooner. Have any other car guys had gasoline cars ruined for them? I'm almost sad that I can't really enjoy driving my ICE cars anymore!
As Elon tweeted today: Elon Musk on Twitter "Gas cars are so last century!"

My original plan was to split my days driving my car (model 3P) and my wifes car (2019 X3 M40i) fully loaded except trailer hitch) to work, as my wife does not work any longer and my commute is 80 miles round trip. I wanted to split the miles on each car.

Every morning when I go to the garage, I get in my car. I liked her car when we bought it, now I really dislike driving it. It has 350 ish horsepower, and from a fit and finish perspective is much nicer than my model 3. With that being said, because my foot is used to my model 3P I drive her car slow.. because I the pedal travel is different for a different amount of acceleration. I also really miss the regen braking when I am in her car.

I said in another thread, but after this lease is over on the X3, I am almost certain that I want another EV for her. Not sure if its going to be a model Y, or a used X (a new will likely be out of my price range), or even one of the other new SUV style electrics... but I doubt it will be ICE at this point.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
I do miss the exhaust note from even my wifes X3 (the m40 actually sounds pretty aggressive if you get on it, pops and crackles, everything lol) 'sometimes". With that being said, there is something fairly relaxing for my normal work commute, cruising to a podcast or listening to my music.

The issue with the lack of exhaust sound is it magnifies the wind noise in the model 3, which is quite a bit more than my wifex X3 or any BMW I have had.

There are a lot of "little things" I like better about the BMWs I have had, and even my wifes BMW, but those issues tend to melt away when I am actually driving my Model 3p.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
I do miss the exhaust note from even my wifes X3 (the m40 actually sounds pretty aggressive if you get on it, pops and crackles, everything lol) 'sometimes". With that being said, there is something fairly relaxing for my normal work commute, cruising to a podcast or listening to my music.

The issue with the lack of exhaust sound is it magnifies the wind noise in the model 3, which is quite a bit more than my wifex X3 or any BMW I have had.

There are a lot of "little things" I like better about the BMWs I have had, and even my wifes BMW, but those issues tend to melt away when I am actually driving my Model 3p.
Yeah about the only thing I really miss in my Tesla is the bangs and pops when you downshift, sounds amazing from a 500hp V8. Everything else is so lame, I'll take the wind noise and poor interior quality for the superior driving dynamics!

I’m trying to talk myself out of buying a Tesla after driving one recently but after weeks of research haven’t been able to find a legit reason yet. Similar to the OP, the only thing I’m hanging onto is the sound of a quality exhaust which really connected me to the driving experience up to this point. Coming from recent model BMW M’s and my current 340i, lease ending in October, it’s the last inevitable hurdle to overcome.

I plan to order my M3P by end of month. I give up, the technology and performance is just too good to deny anymore. I’d feel like a fool if I bought anything else.

I’m trying to talk myself out of buying a Tesla after driving one recently but after weeks of research haven’t been able to find a legit reason yet. Similar to the OP, the only thing I’m hanging onto is the sound of a quality exhaust which really connected me to the driving experience up to this point. Coming from recent model BMW M’s and my current 340i, lease ending in October, it’s the last inevitable hurdle to overcome.

I plan to order my M3P by end of month. I give up, the technology and performance is just too good to deny anymore. I’d feel like a fool if I bought anything else.
Trust me once you get the Model 3, you'll never look at a 3 series again. I drove a 2017 440xi and it was good, but the drive of the BMW versus the Tesla isn't comparable. Exhaust sound is nice, but I was shocked how quickly I got over it. Instead there is a cool electronic whine sound when you romp it. It's much more subtle but more exciting since the torque that comes with it is mind boggling! Not to mention the cash you save from avoiding gas pumps. Feeding V8's and turbo 6 cylinder engines is expensive!

I came from a 2016 340i M-Sport. The 3P beats it in nearly every way...I find myself looking for excuses to go drive around. I was a little worried about making the jump, but 4 months into ownership I would absolutely do it again without hesitation.

I drive too much to have only one car. My other is a hybrid. But I appreciate my m3. I don’t foresee buying a gas car except for towing maybe later on. It would not be a main car however.

I would totally buy another EV, Non-tesla, as my other car for commuting purposes. Plan to do so in 5 yr or so.

I can't stand driving an ICE anymore. Even the Panamera 4S my buddy let me drive felt like crap compared to the Model 3. Once you get used to silent, instant response, you can never go back.
I own a fully loaded Panamera Turbo and I must say I THOROUGHLY enjoy the sound of the Akrapovic titanium exhaust producing a fantastic symphony of a twin-turbo german V8. It is a wonderful driving experience and I cannot justify letting it go especially the color combo and options it has.

That being said - Tesla vehicles are phenomenal instruments and I plan to own both for as long as I can drive. Maybe I have a future classic in the garage! "Look.... it runs on gasoline!" o_O

Once you have driven a Tesla EV it is hard to go back to an ICE based vehicle. I see no point in buying any other mid size 4 door sedan once you consider the fuel savings and improved driving dynamics. They really need to get the Model Y and Pickup going so they can capture that giant segment of the market.

The only exception IMO are performance vehicles with better handling, excellent exhaust notes and more sporty aggressive looks.

For driving enthusiasts, the Tesla instant torque is fun but it lacks driver engagement. No manual, no paddle shifting, no exhaust noise, no tire spin, etc. I hope as the EV market matures they will build affordable sport coupe EVs as well with better handling dynamics (lighter, mag ride suspension) and sportier interiors. (Sport seats, HUD, etc.)

• Love
Reactions: Octo and jjrandorin