Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Lug Wrench and Jack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can also get these "air bag" jacks that fold flat and are lightweight.. for occasional use (emergency tire change). They slip under the car and are inflated by connecting a hose to your exhaust pipe.. . .. oh, never mind.

The frunk in my Classic 85 can hold a full size spare and jack. I seldom use the frunk for anything anyway. And the wheel in there adds extra crash absorption, if needed.

How do you figure that a wheel strong enough to bear 1500 lb static load and many times more of impact load (think potholes) without breaking is going to add crash absorption? I would expect the spare in the frunk would simply transmit impact directly suspension elements and then to the passenger compartment at foot level.

I prefer to be able to fix it if need be. I got a flat in my last car in the middle of a snowstorm that caused complete havoc around here. And I had a toddler in the car. If I tried to wait for AAA, or even any tow truck, it would have been hours. Potentially we could have been waiting even much longer as my car was not directly obstructing traffic and I'm sure there were higher priority uses of tow trucks on that day.

I'd call AAA if I had a flat.
There are WAY too many accidents on people trying to change their tire or just parked on the side of the road.
Not worth the danger where I live at least.

I prefer to be able to fix it if need be. I got a flat in my last car in the middle of a snowstorm that caused complete havoc around here. And I had a toddler in the car. If I tried to wait for AAA, or even any tow truck, it would have been hours. Potentially we could have been waiting even much longer as my car was not directly obstructing traffic and I'm sure there were higher priority uses of tow trucks on that day.

Good point.
OP's question was regarding a different situation where he'll be picking up the wheel and jack from home and bringing it to his car. I'd definitely stiff prefer a floor jack for that.

Good point.
OP's question was regarding a different situation where he'll be picking up the wheel and jack from home and bringing it to his car. I'd definitely stiff prefer a floor jack for that.
I'm not so sure. I read his/her post and interpreted it that they were asking about what to do in the event of a flat and using winter tires as the spare. I pasted the post below. I definitely agree if I were rotating tires at home, I'd use a floor jack, and jack stands. Regardless, input appreciated on the jack situation.

Here is their post:

I purchased winter tires and wheels so I have decided to use these as my "spare" tires when I get a flat.
They will be kept at home so all that will be needed is a phone call to a family member to go pick one up and deliver it to the MS when it has a flat.

That being said, what is Lug Wrench and Jack would I need to replace a wheel on the MS?

I'm not so sure. I read his/her post and interpreted it that they were asking about what to do in the event of a flat and using winter tires as the spare. I pasted the post below. I definitely agree if I were rotating tires at home, I'd use a floor jack, and jack stands. Regardless, input appreciated on the jack situation.

Here is their post:

They will be kept at home so all that will be needed is a phone call to a family member to go pick one up and deliver it to the MS when it has a flat.

That being said, what is Lug Wrench and Jack would I need to replace a wheel on the MS?

The correct tools for this situation (where you are not carrying the tools in the car, only delivering them to the flat site):

1. 21 mm socket
2. Breaker bar
3. Torque wrench
4. Floor jack (Two ton or higher)
5. Tire and wheel assembly (Check pressure before delivering)
6. Jackpoint jack stand (Only if you need to switch wheels from front to rear. There are several reasons why you might want to do this although most of the time it won't be necessary.)