Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which cars get software updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious, I picked up my 2015 MS85D MCU1 AP1 about 3 weeks ago and did the pending 2022.8.10.12 update. and there was a nav update. But that was it...
I see posts about 2023 updates for people with cars of similar vintage... Is it because I'm still on MCU1?

Originally, in 2012/2013 Tesla indicated it would provide software updates for 7 years. Looks like they abandoned that and continue to provide updates - just not frequently, even if they have no obligation to do so. Many new features require newer hardware, so they can't be offered on the oldest cars, and is one reason why you see fewer updates.

Originally, in 2012/2013 Tesla indicated it would provide software updates for 7 years. Looks like they abandoned that and continue to provide updates - just not frequently, even if they have no obligation to do so. Many new features require newer hardware, so they can't be offered on the oldest cars, and is one reason why you see fewer updates.
Yeah, I get that. I just noticed other older cars with updates from this year. That's why I was guessing it might be the MCU difference for which ones get updates.

Just a point of reference from my mid-2016 MS90D. I did the MCU2 update in Dec 2021.

Prior to upgrading it had gotten to be roughly every three months that I would get a software update with MCU1. I do not have any data since Dec 2021 to say if MCU1 updates are even less frequent, but that's very possible in my opinion.

I immediately started to regularly see updates after upgrading to MCU2. I've been running about an update every 2 weeks on average with MCU2, although this does vary from update-to-update. I've seen over the past 18 months intervals from less than a week to 6-7 weeks between updates.

Reactions: livesmith
Are there any options to do the MCU2 update? Not sure if I'd do it. I miss AM myself. If interested, there are several apps and such that you can track firmware updates on type vehicle. I use Teslafi myself.

1687618333454.png