Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When Will Canada Have Superchargers?

When Will Canada's First Supercharger Open?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm changing my vote to June.
Just got an inside scoop that the permits should be completed and then the ground broken within the next week for Toronto!
They are still optimistic for June completion. And maintain the schedule for other parts of Ontario as previously discussed here.
I've asked for permission to post the email. We'll see.
So if you are confident enough with the intel to change your vote, I'm excited! It will be interesting to see how big of a splash it makes in the media. Got to be a big boost for sales.

So if you are confident enough with the intel to change your vote, I'm excited! It will be interesting to see how big of a splash it makes in the media. Got to be a big boost for sales.

Guys,
Here is confirmation of the Toronto Supercharger. See email chain below.
The original email was me following up a response he sent to me in April.
Yes, that will be at the Toronto East service center (this is not public information), and we are one week away from city of Toronto permits which should immediately followed by the ground breaking. We are hopeful that we can get this site up before the end of June. We know that these continued delays have been nearly catastrophic to our customer confidence and are working to meet your needs as quickly as possible.

Best Regards,
Cal

Cal,

Thanks for your reply.
I did see that. But it says the first charger in Toronto by June (I am assuming at the east service centre) butwe see no progress at all there.

John,
Thanks for keeping in touch. We are painfully aware of our customers’unhappiness with the state of Supercharger in Canada, and getting these sitesup and running continues to be one of our top priorities.

We provided a more specific update on the TMC forums in late April - http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/12773-Canadian-Superchargers/page50. The timing and priority of the routes remains unchanged; the general gatingfactor for all of these sites has been longer permitting and zoning timelines,but we can see the light at the end of the tunnel for the key sites andcontinue to push at all levels to gain the necessary approvals. The support ofour customers is our strongest asset, so we are always willing to engage withany specific contacts you or other customers may have.

Thanks again for your continued support and understanding; you will benotified immediately once the first sites are opened but can always reach outto me directly in the interim.

Best Regards,
Cal

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
in july construction work is mostly halted due to vacations ...
While I certainly won't bash your time frames (as someone who selected a much later one...) I should point out that the construction vacation in July is a Quebec only thing. In the rest of the country (including both places that are expected to be "first" for superchargers) Construction goes from the time the ground thaws in the spring until it freezes in the winter (and sometimes longer, but not at the same pace) There's no real slowdown for vacation in July.

I went with July as I'm hoping BC will have its first supercharger then. The sign at Squamish has certainly been up for a while. I stopped at city hall once to ask and they said the timing was something to do with BC Hydro approvals. If the one in Toronto East goes up first that's great as I'm driving from Vancouver to Toronto in late July to visit family and will be very close to that one.

... in july construction work is mostly halted due to vacations ...
While I certainly won't bash your time frames (as someone who selected a much later one...) I should point out that the construction vacation in July is a Quebec only thing. In the rest of the country (including both places that are expected to be "first" for superchargers) Construction goes from the time the ground thaws in the spring until it freezes in the winter (and sometimes longer, but not at the same pace) There's no real slowdown for vacation in July.
This is true (no vacations in July), however it's not because of the ground thawing. It's because those months you get maximum disruption of the increased numbers of the tourist and local vehicles, which seems to be primary goal. July is one of road construction/maintenance's most prolific (i.e. highest disruption) periods!*

* I exaggerate with no data proof purely for the purpose of accuracy.

:)

So, it's looking like Squamish will be up and running this month! If that's really the case, we'll randomly pick one of the following for the grand prize:

poll.png

Of course, the grand prize is a FREE supercharging session!

So with the opening of the Squamish Supercharger, July 11, 2014 marks the opening of the first Supercharger in Canada!

In accordance with the rules, I had a spreadsheet program generate a random integer between 1 and 16. The number it produced was 3. The third entry in the July category is...

Duckjybe!

Congratulations Duckjybe, you get a free Supercharge. Of course, in order to redeem this completely free charge, you need to travel a mere 4,378 km. :tongue:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SmartElectric